Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Palpster

Thor nemesis

Recommended Posts

I don't think we'll see Loki as Thor's Nemesis, too big a profile to be presented as a sideshow. Looking at the other nemesis (nemeses? nemesis-es?) we have now, I'd say look for a villain who's characteristically associated with the hero, but with a relatively low profile.

In this case, I'd go with either Enchantress or the Executioner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First thought was Loki, but I too think Loki is Villian material.

Personally I'd like Ulik for Thor's nemesis. They had some great fights in the old Thor comics. :)

But they might go with Malekith, War of the Realms anyone. ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Yeah, Enchantress was my pick early doors, but Captain America getting Zemo was a surprise to me...

In theory, there’s nothing stopping them having a Nemesis also be a Scenario. Shadows of the past would surge if it couldn’t bring Nemesis Loki into play, but it could still add the side scheme and the cards to the deck. The Uniqueness rules can already cover the situation, although I definitely think Loki fits the bill as a scenario level

threat...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The nemesis are basically the overlapping part of the Venn diagram that’s 

1) associated with that hero

2) not high profile enough to be a villain pack

3) the devs don’t think they can carry a whole pack thematically, mechanically and/or in terms of sales/consumer interest 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jonboyjon1990 said:

The nemesis are basically the overlapping part of the Venn diagram that’s 

1) associated with that hero

2) not high profile enough to be a villain pack

3) the devs don’t think they can carry a whole pack thematically, mechanically and/or in terms of sales/consumer interest 

While that’s largely true, Vulture is a fairly high-profile villain for a nemesis. The thing is that Spidey has a relatively large and solid rogues’ gallery for a Marvel hero, so they don’t have to go as low down the chain to leave room for plenty of well-known badguys to be able to be villains.

That said, I feel like the Sinister Six could be a story box, and while there are several iterations of the team, I’d be interested to see if they put Vulture in there somehow.

2 hours ago, Janaka said:

I'll plump for Hela as his nemesis and Heimdall as an ally.

Ooo, I think I like this? I love Heimdall, but I’m not sure he’s quite Hero-deck Ally level IMO. Sif seems likely, and I’d like to see them integrate the Warriors Three somehow. Maybe Heimdall as a Support, along with the Bifrost? And they could have stacking benefits? Idk, but I suddenly look forward to finding out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, SpiderMana said:

While that’s largely true, Vulture is a fairly high-profile villain for a nemesis. The thing is that Spidey has a relatively large and solid rogues’ gallery for a Marvel hero, so they don’t have to go as low down the chain to leave room for plenty of well-known badguys to be able to be villains.

That said, I feel like the Sinister Six could be a story box, and while there are several iterations of the team, I’d be interested to see if they put Vulture in there somehow.

Ooo, I think I like this? I love Heimdall, but I’m not sure he’s quite Hero-deck Ally level IMO. Sif seems likely, and I’d like to see them integrate the Warriors Three somehow. Maybe Heimdall as a Support, along with the Bifrost? And they could have stacking benefits? Idk, but I suddenly look forward to finding out!

For sure - I said not high profile enough to be a villain pack not a 'not a high profile villain' - I think they have to decide what will 'carry a pack' in terms of content, mechanics and consumer interest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jonboyjon1990 said:

For sure - I said not high profile enough to be a villain pack not a 'not a high profile villain' - I think they have to decide what will 'carry a pack' in terms of content, mechanics and consumer interest

Right—I just find Vulture to be an almost oddly well-known villain for a nemesis in this game. Again, that works fine because Spidey has a relatively high number of bad guys that could carry a pack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why the assumption that a Loki nemesis rules out a Loki villain? Is there a rule that prevents two copies of a unique enemy with the same name from being in play? I don't see one.  The "Unique" entry in the rules reference only discusses player cards. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, cfmcdonald said:

Why the assumption that a Loki nemesis rules out a Loki villain? Is there a rule that prevents two copies of a unique enemy with the same name from being in play? I don't see one.  The "Unique" entry in the rules reference only discusses player cards. 

He’d be a good one to duplicate himself anyways 😂

Realistically if they wanted to avoid duplicate enemies, they could just include an “Alternate Nemesis” in the Villain pack. It wouldn’t be too hard if they decided to go that route.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SpiderMana said:

He’d be a good one to duplicate himself anyways 😂

Realistically if they wanted to avoid duplicate enemies, they could just include an “Alternate Nemesis” in the Villain pack. It wouldn’t be too hard if they decided to go that route.

Or if Shadows of the past comes up, you put the side scheme into play, shuffle his nemesis deck into the main deck and surge the card (because the Nemesis didn’t enter play). There’s definitely ways the game could handle a Nemesis Minion also being a Scenario. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do think it makes it unlikely that we'll see Loki as a villain any time soon. Which isn't necessarily a *huge* issue - while I would like to have seen a Loki villain, I'd be pretty keen for Hela or Surtur as well. And realistically, they might even make better villains, considering they've both got easy minions to go with them. Granted, it's not like it's difficult to give Loki some minions if they want, but Surtur leading the Fire Giants to Ragnarok or the heroes fighting undead hordes in Hel would feel more thematic. 

But much like I don't think allies rule out those characters being heroes, I don't think a character being a nemesis rules out them being a villain. I just don't think FFG will do it straight away - I think they'll hold off for a cycle or two. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...