Jump to content
DarthDude

New official setting?

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, c__beck said:

I, for one, will be purchasing the Keyforge setting book when it comes out. Not because I want to play it but because I want to support FFG and Genesys. The more people who buy a setting book the more FFG sees that Genesys is still a viable business opportunity. I'll be voting with my wallet, anxiously awaiting TI (I'm a space opera junkie, what can I say).

This has been my philosophy as well. I also find that I normally can pull something (even if I reflavor it) out of any book for any game I run.  I plan to use some RoT monsters as alien critters in a game I hope to run soon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect that one of the main reasons that they are doing the Keyforge book is so that they can release a sourcebook with all of the lore from Keyforge.  They seem to be working to build the lore in the universe to an extent.  I suspect that this is less for Genesys players and more for Keyforge players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as it contains new rules and new enemy stat blocks, I'll put it to good use. Not like I'm planning to ever run a game in Terrinoth, but I bought the book anyway and feel I am getting good mileage out of it.

From what little I can gather about Keyforge, in the card game you play some godlike beings competing for ancient stashes of knowledge and power. I wouldn't mind if the RPG went with this power level, that would actually be a very interesting addition to the Genesys system, which I feel is normally geared towards a more grounded experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe that in the RPG, you'll be playing the Knights, witches, thieves, scientists, and the like who make up the forces of an Archon (the god-like beings). The game has  a mechanic called Maverick, which allows a card to be printed in a faction other than its own. I think the group will be a collection of Mavericks working for the same Archon, or simply a group of creatures with no Archon's allegiance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HaphazardNinja said:

I believe that in the RPG, you'll be playing the Knights, witches, thieves, scientists, and the like who make up the forces of an Archon (the god-like beings). The game has  a mechanic called Maverick, which allows a card to be printed in a faction other than its own. I think the group will be a collection of Mavericks working for the same Archon, or simply a group of creatures with no Archon's allegiance.

I'm afraid you'll turn out correct. Which is a bummer, because when I read about a setting where super powerful beings clash, playing their minions is the last thing on my mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, slope123 said:

I suspect that one of the main reasons that they are doing the Keyforge book is so that they can release a sourcebook with all of the lore from Keyforge.  They seem to be working to build the lore in the universe to an extent.  I suspect that this is less for Genesys players and more for Keyforge players.

Which is unfortunate for those of us who are focused on Genesys, because it takes up a slot in a system that maybe gets two major releases a year.

And frankly if (non-Genesys playing) Keyforge players want more lore, they shouldn't have to buy a book supposedly focused on the mechanics of another completely different system/game type that requires another Corebook to function properly. I'm not sure how many Keyforge players will be drawn over by this alone.

If Keyforge is so big, it should get the Worlds of Android treatment.

Edited by Rationalinsanity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Rationalinsanity said:

Which is unfortunate for those of us who are focused on Genesys, because it takes up a slot in a system that maybe gets two major releases a year.

Meh, it's still Genesys content. All Genesys settings mentioned in the core come from other FFG games, so it's not like this one is gonna stand out as a tie-in product. And it's not like it's cutting into some specific schedule of settings we've been promised. It's just not the setting you've been hoping to see, which I'm sure is unfortunate for you. 

Edited by Morangias

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2019 at 1:07 PM, Rationalinsanity said:

Which is unfortunate for those of us who are focused on Genesys, because it takes up a slot in a system that maybe gets two major releases a year.

And frankly if (non-Genesys playing) Keyforge players want more lore, they shouldn't have to buy a book supposedly focused on the mechanics of another completely different system/game type that requires another Corebook to function properly. I'm not sure how many Keyforge players will be drawn over by this alone.

If Keyforge is so big, it should get the Worlds of Android treatment.

I'm kind of worried that FFG might stop doing the Worlds of Android sort of thing and instead just release Genesys Sourcebooks instead.  That is kind of my theory right now anyways.  I imagine its rather hard to sell a singular sourcebook without any sort of mechanics for a totally new universe that they won't know if anyone will buy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, slope123 said:

I'm kind of worried that FFG might stop doing the Worlds of Android sort of thing and instead just release Genesys Sourcebooks instead.  That is kind of my theory right now anyways.  I imagine its rather hard to sell a singular sourcebook without any sort of mechanics for a totally new universe that they won't know if anyone will buy.

I think we have good evidence that this is the case. We learned in an interview with Sam Stewart that the Realms of Terrinoth book started out as a setting book like Worlds of Android but they pivoted to it being a setting book for Genesys after they started developing Genesys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/8/2019 at 12:42 AM, slope123 said:

I'm kind of worried that FFG might stop doing the Worlds of Android sort of thing and instead just release Genesys Sourcebooks instead.  That is kind of my theory right now anyways.  I imagine its rather hard to sell a singular sourcebook without any sort of mechanics for a totally new universe that they won't know if anyone will buy.

Seems to be working. You'd have to force me at gunpoint to buy "World of Keyforge", but I will buy the Keyforge Setting for Genesys, for the sake of having more Genesys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing that worries me is that the kitchen sink nature of the Keyforge setting may be used as an excuse for the book to not offer much in terms of new mechanics, and instead be a jumble of previously released content, in the vein of "here are some magic talents from Terrinoth for the magic-using factions, and here are the cybernetics from Android for the technological faction". I hope that won't be the case, but FFG does have a bit of a history with the copy-paste function.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Morangias said:

One thing that worries me is that the kitchen sink nature of the Keyforge setting may be used as an excuse for the book to not offer much in terms of new mechanics, and instead be a jumble of previously released content, in the vein of "here are some magic talents from Terrinoth for the magic-using factions, and here are the cybernetics from Android for the technological faction". I hope that won't be the case, but FFG does have a bit of a history with the copy-paste function.

Which is fine by me, because I don't own Terrinoth or Android - I don't enjoy run of the mill settings. I just hope it is actually as interesting as it sounds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, GnosisNoise said:

Which is fine by me, because I don't own Terrinoth or Android - I don't enjoy run of the mill settings. I just hope it is actually as interesting as it sounds. 

Frankly, I have no interest in any of the settings by FFG. I'm just here for the rules, and I'll be disappointed if Keyforge doesn't give me something new and shiny to play with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Morangias said:

Frankly, I have no interest in any of the settings by FFG. I'm just here for the rules, and I'll be disappointed if Keyforge doesn't give me something new and shiny to play with.

I can understand that. But what more rules do we need? Asking out of genuine interest though. Space combat? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, GnosisNoise said:

I can understand that. But what more rules do we need? Asking out of genuine interest though. Space combat? 

All the rules. Every new Talent, piece of equipment, enemy statblock is something that may save me time on making stuff up myself in the future. I got more ideas than time to flesh them out, so setting material is of extremely low priority to me compared to even the most trivial bit of crunch.

In terms of broader rule systems, superpowers would be nice, but I doubt Keyforge will have that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Morangias said:

All the rules. Every new Talent, piece of equipment, enemy statblock is something that may save me time on making stuff up myself in the future. I got more ideas than time to flesh them out, so setting material is of extremely low priority to me compared to even the most trivial bit of crunch.

In terms of broader rule systems, superpowers would be nice, but I doubt Keyforge will have that.

I understand. And I agree, super powers would be nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...