DarthDude

New official setting?

Super disappointed personally. I dislike the art style and the setting just seems like super random to me (kinda like they had the mechanics and needed to slap some art on it.)

Why not release something in a better and more popular FFG universe like Arkham Horror, Lord of the Rings or something where they have a license like Game of Thrones, Doom, XCOM.

Edited by alotapotato

As someone who tried the card game and didn't care for it, I actually agree that I would prefer something else.

However, I highly doubt that they would use Genesys to produce any licensed IPs.

That being said, they still have multiple settings that were mentioned in the CRB that I'd like to see setting books for.

3 hours ago, alotapotato said:

Super disappointed personally. I dislike the art style and the setting just seems like super random to me (kinda like they had the mechanics and needed to slap some art on it.)

Why not release something in a better and more popular FFG universe like Arkham Horror, Lord of the Rings or something where they have a license like Game of Thrones, Doom, XCOM.

Part of the problem with the games you listed is that many of them are licensed games that either have a roleplaying game associated with them, cost extra cash to license out, or both. Lord of the Rings have The One Ring from Cubicle Seven (and C7 also makes a 5th ed D&D conversion), GoT was handled by Green Ronin in their Song of Fire and Ice RPG, and Arkham Horror has Call of Cthulhu. 

Personally, I'd really like to see genre books that expand on the mini-genre notes in the books. Maybe have a nice big sci-fi book or post-apocalypse genre book that have a few micro-settings fleshed out, and that have expanded rules for that genre. 

2 hours ago, Rationalinsanity said:

The Keyforge announcement was a big disappointment to me. Unless the book contains mechanics I'm interested in, I'll skip it.

I've preordered every Genesys release this far, but I don't see much value in Keyforge as a setting or an RPG.

I’ll probably skip this one.

52 minutes ago, Simon Retold said:

I think I'm going to be the odd man out, here. I'm actually looking forward to the Keyforge setting.

Though this setting may not be standing out or may not fall into the category if a specific trope it still might be interesting as a supplement if it expands on rules or adds new additional optional rules.

Personally I hoped for a steampunk or a weird war setting as the next one after already  having fantasy and scifi covered by Terrinoth and Android.

On 11/29/2019 at 5:03 PM, Simon Retold said:

I think I'm going to be the odd man out, here. I'm actually looking forward to the Keyforge setting.

It will depend for me on what kind of content is in the book.

If there are mostly new interesting archetypes and adversaries that I could easily adapt to other settings? Yes, please.

If there are more than a dozen or so pages of fluff declaring to the reader how awesome and wonderful this particular kitchen sink setting is? No thanks.

On 12/2/2019 at 2:00 AM, shamp said:

Jesus. Do they even ask the player base? A simple poll on this forum would have told them to not waste their breath. As others said--so many better settings. FFS

I’m sure it’ll be interesting to a lot of people. It’s not my paned o te but I’ll keep an eye on it to see if it has any value as a purchase for mechanics. If not I’ll wait till the next one.

I'm hoping that because Keyforge is such an "out there" setting it means they're going to spend extra effort on the mechanics to do some really unique stuff that I can mine for other games.

My biggest concern is that it will be more like Terrinoth where they have to use a large chunk of the book establishing the setting for new people. Mainly as I have no interest in playing within the Keyforge setting.

There are problems with other people's IPs. At some point, the cost of maintaining the license exceeds the profits from sales of the products. Before that point a company needs to drop the license. When they drop the license, they will no longer be able to sell the products any more. In most cases, this kills availability of a game.

FFG will keep the Star Wars license as long as they can sell books, but at some point they will drop it. As you can see from the availability of past Star Wars RPGs, Disney does not care about past games. To them, they are dead and gone. I suspect that FFG is hoping popularity will build around Keyforge while they still have the Star Wars license. When the license finally drops, they will have an IP that does not belong to another company. They will be able to publish that for as long as they want. When they decide they no longer want to publish material for it, they can leave the past products up for sale.

Edited by Torg Smith

On 12/1/2019 at 9:00 PM, shamp said:

Jesus. Do they even ask the player base? A simple poll on this forum would have told them to not waste their breath. As others said--so many better settings. FFS

KeyForge is way more popular than Genesys from what I gather. My guess is that they hope the setting will attract folks to Genesys from the larger KeyForge player base. If at least a few folks come over and get into roleplaying, I'll consider it a net win for our hobby and favored system.

On 12/1/2019 at 9:00 PM, shamp said:

The flaw in your logic is that the forum community is just a small fraction of the player-base. So yes, a lot of people here want TI or Tannhaüser or whatever…but that doesn't represent the majority of Genesys players.

2 hours ago, SavageBob said:

KeyForge is way more popular than Genesys from what I gather. My guess is that they hope the setting will attract folks to Genesys from the larger KeyForge player base. If at least a few folks come over and get into roleplaying, I'll consider it a net win for our hobby and favored system.

This, basically. Card games are super-popular and Keyforge has been steadily growing since release. From what I hear it has a larger player-base than Genesys and FFG wants to tap into that market and pull even just a little bit of them into Genesys. It's a win/win for them.

I, for one, will be purchasing the Keyforge setting book when it comes out. Not because I want to play it but because I want to support FFG and Genesys. The more people who buy a setting book the more FFG sees that Genesys is still a viable business opportunity. I'll be voting with my wallet, anxiously awaiting TI (I'm a space opera junkie, what can I say).

I love Keyforge and I'm really looking forward to the RPG!      In the most recent Crucible Cast they showed the art of the Vault Warrior.  I would love to have more teasers from the sourcebook!