bblaney001

Ship for a character

So my GM is letting me have a ship of my choice, within reason and I am wondering what y'all would pick and what attachments you all would add attachments to it?

I am a Nightsister Bounty Hunter (Assassin)/Nightsister/Operator

She is one of the few surviving Nightsisters in the galaxy and is NOT a force user, well yet, as I haven't chosen Force Rating 1 from the talent tree so far

She would have 3 salvaged droids from the CiS invasion of Dathomir that are her crew.

Depends what kind of crew you hanging with; do they need a starfighter or a freighter? That question is important for the context; a mercenary group with a hanger might prefer something that can dock within it, a crew without a ship might need a captain if they want to go on various jobs. Personally I wouldn't opt for a star fighter unless the crew could support that need; they are easy to hide and punchy but are prone to breaking in the presence of a strong breeze but on the flipside having someone "always off in their own bunk" can be problematic for characters spending time together on long hyperspace journeys.

Can't go far wrong with something like a firespray, a HWK-290 or something along those veins. The former is a fairly solid, compact bounty hunting ship and the HWK-290 is a great Freighter with more in common with a dog fighter then a gunship.

I personally owned a HWK-1000 myself and I found the key to keeping it alive was to not seek out fights in it; nightshadow coating, a missile rack, whisper thrust engines, a quad laser turret and something else I can't remember, with a pilot mind so I didn't have to necessarily be on it to move it. The missile rack certainly isn't cost effective and in all honesty, proton torpedos are the king of space combat if highly illegal. But really what I took advantage of was it's capability to drive fast and dressed it as a stealth ship that the group sometimes used to get into difficult to access places, run blockades and more. The missile rack and turret existed for the expressed purpose of dealing with anything too fast to out run; which usually didn't have enough armour to take a full on bombardment. Needless to say, while the Honey Badger was the vessel we regularly took into heavy firefights, armed with two turbolasers, 2 flak cannons and a Hanger Bay to deploy other vessels (I think it's a YZ-775, I can't remember since we just call it by it's name) the Dusk Mynock as that HWK-1000 was called rapidly ended up becoming one of the most useful subtle assets in our commando unit.

Of course, the Dusk Mynock did end up in a shootout which ultimately cost it everything and as it was the home of my character I ended up losing a lot of gear. Still, it was probably the most iconic vessel I ever owned despite the fact it wasn't an optimised slugger like most YT-whatevers tend to be. I'm not even sure if our group ever owned a YT vessel; If we did it wasn't for very long.

Look at the kst-100 from dawn of rebellion.  It's a large sil 3 that should be a small sil 4 and the fluff text says it's more starfighter than transport.  Some of it's stats are meh but none of them are bad and it's a quite good total package, at 120K it's hands down the best eote legal starting ship for most parties.  70 or 75 enc, 4 state rooms and a pilot/copilot berth under the cockpit, has twin light laser cannons, short range sensors, speed 4 handling +1, something like 20 hull trauma and 18 system strain (might be higher than that), 2 armor, a meh hyperdrive, for and aft shields, and I think 4 hp.  Also it looks freaking cool imho

4 minutes ago, EliasWindrider said:

Look at the kst-100 from dawn of rebellion.  It's a large sil 3 that should be a small sil 4 and the fluff text says it's more starfighter than transport.  Some of it's stats are meh but none of them are bad and it's a quite good total package, at 120K it's hands down the best eote legal starting ship for most parties.  70 or 75 enc, 4 state rooms and a pilot/copilot berth under the cockpit, has twin light laser cannons, short range sensors, speed 4 handling +1, something like 20 hull trauma and 18 system strain (might be higher than that), 2 armor, a meh hyperdrive, for and aft shields, and I think 4 hp.  Also it looks freaking cool imho

I KNEW IT! I knew I just had to wait...

10 hours ago, bblaney001 said:

So my GM is letting me have a ship of my choice, within reason and I am wondering what y'all would pick and what attachments you all would add attachments to it?

I am a Nightsister Bounty Hunter (Assassin)/Nightsister/Operator

Lancer is pretty good. Compared to the kst-100, it's faster, but its handling is lower at -2. It's durability is the same, though it has a lower STT, a decent hyperdrive, 1 point of shields, 3 HP and some interesting weapons: Chin-mounted twin light laser cannons, dorsal turret-mounted triple light laser cannon, and a light tractor beam. It has an integrated ability that allows it to link all of the weapon systems, changing the linked value to 4 and adding the tractor 1 quality. It has a crew of 2 and 3 months of consumables. I'd consider upgrading the weapons systems, just to get more damage out of 'em.

For HP, you could go many ways. If you think you'll be in a bunch of firefights, you might want to pick up Reinforced Armor Plating for 2 HP, but what's really gonna hurt you is SS. So unless you've got a good mechanic, you'll probably want to pick up Hardened Circuits for 2 HP instead. Especially if you aren't gonna be in as many full-out firefights, because I've noticed that the Lancer tends to reach its SST pretty fast in a chase from accelerating/Punch It. For the last HP, there are a myriad of options. Upgraded Weapons is always a fun one, but you might want to consider going for something like a Slicing Computer, because it'll be quite helpful to be able to disable enemy ships. Another option is to drop the durability/staying power attachments and go for 3 smaller attachments, maybe Slicing Computer, Upgraded Weapons, and Advanced Targeting Array. Then of course, you can pick up the 0 HP attachments such as Encrypted Computer, Gunner Droid Brain, and Auto-Pilot Droid Brain.

2 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

I KNEW IT! I knew I just had to wait...

Then of course, you can pick up the 0 HP attachments such as Encrypted Computer, Gunner Droid Brain, and Auto-Pilot Droid Brain.

And I knew that you knew and were going to say you knew 😎😁.   Loading up on the zero hp attachments is always a good idea

18 hours ago, Tramp Graphics said:

It also depends upon how large of a party you have. 

Baste on the OP's post it seems (s)he is the only PC but 

On 11/28/2019 at 7:48 AM, bblaney001 said:

She would have 3 salvaged droids from the CiS invasion of Dathomir that are her crew.

Droids don't use up life support and while they due take up a minimal  amount of  space they don't need their own quarters.

In other a hwk-290 or jumpmaster or that patrol boat/heavy fighter (4 man) from (I think) no disintegrations are about as small as she could go and the kst-100 exceeds the minimal requirements. Uwing fits the bill too, actually most non fighter starship do.

Edited by EliasWindrider

The party is looking like 4 additional PCs at most

I will have some repurposed salvage, droids, from the CiS genocide on Dathomir

A number of B1 droids that have been rebuilt and reprogrammed to do specific functions

The big surprise is 2 Droidekas that will be held in the cargo hold as ship defense, this was the GMs idea and I am ALL for it, though they can't be used far from the ship

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 hours ago, bblaney001 said:

A number of B1 droids that have been rebuilt and reprogrammed to do specific functions

The big surprise is 2 Droidekas that will be held in the cargo hold as ship defense, this was the GMs idea and I am ALL for it, though they can't be used far from the ship

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try the kst-100, it sounds perfect for you. Look at this post.

7 hours ago, bblaney001 said:

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, EliasWindrider said:

Try the kst-100, it sounds perfect for you. Look at this post.

If the droideekas can't leave the ship, you might suggest getting the security measures attachment (0 hp) and mount a character scale heavy repeating blaster (1 hp) and gunnery droid brain (0 hp), and pilot droid brain (0 hp), and astrogation droid brain (0 hp) instead of the droideekas.  And maybe mod the droid brains twice each to increase their skill from 2 green to 4 green.  That would make them useful "crew members" (while you doint have other PC's, for action economy, or even if you do for improved dice pools) as well, and won't take any space in the "cargo area".  If you're GM is feeling especially generous, through in an encrypted computer (0 hp) to make slicing it to open the doors harder.

Edited by EliasWindrider

On 12/1/2019 at 12:18 AM, EliasWindrider said:

If the droideekas can't leave the ship, you might suggest getting the security measures attachment (0 hp) and mount a character scale heavy repeating blaster (1 hp) and gunnery droid brain (0 hp), and pilot droid brain (0 hp), and astrogation droid brain (0 hp) instead of the droideekas.  And maybe mod the droid brains twice each to increase their skill from 2 green to 4 green.  That would make them useful "crew members" (while you doint have other PC's, for action economy, or even if you do for improved dice pools) as well, and won't take any space in the "cargo area".  If you're GM is feeling especially generous, through in an encrypted computer (0 hp) to make slicing it to open the doors harder.

They can leave the ship, though can't wander outside of whichever hangar or landing pad they are in. All for Defense.

On 11/30/2019 at 3:42 PM, bblaney001 said:

If you are looking at a 'up to 5 PCs' group, you're going to want a ship with a decent crew+passenger total:  After all, you never know when you might need to take on a couple of passengers and/or prisoners.

With a group of that size, I'd lean toward the YT-2400 Light Freighter:

• 2 Crew + 6 Passengers = a little room for extra people as needed
  • All around good stats
    • I'd prefer speed 4, but it's a fairly tough ship with decent handling.
  • It's fairly nondescript, so you shouldn't draw a lot unwanted attention when you arrive somewhere
    • When a gunboat shows up in port, I'm guessing everyone who's anyone in town would be aware of it and it's pilot pretty quickly.

If you aren't willing to sacrifice speed, I'd be looking for ships meeting the following criteria:

• Speed 4+ Base
  • Crew < 5
  • Crew + Passengers > 6
  • Not restricted or obscenely expensive.

Here's what I'm seeing on FFG (Not updated in quite a while, so there may be a few more options):

Agressor Assault Fighter

• Fast, well armed, and lots of passenger space, but pitiful cargo space and 'meh' handling.
  • Not really a good choice if subtlety is called for.

YT-1760 Small Transport

• Better handling and cargo space, but pretty weak in combat.
  • Good choice if you are going for subtlety.

Luxurious-class Yacht

• Like the YT-1760, but with a better Hull Threshold and carrying more people.
  • As a yacht, it might attract more attention than a freighter, but less than a gunboat

Incom A-36 Pathfinder-Class Force Reconnaissance Vessel

• More of a deep space vehicle, but could work in a pinch.

Firespray-31 System Patrol Craft

• It's a very solid ship, but a bit typecast at this point.
  • Again, not really subtle

CEC WUD-500 Star Yacht

• Not good in a fight, but pretty fast and carries plenty of folks.
  • Cheap enough that they probably don't attract much attention.

Baudo-Class Star Yacht

• Fairly solid ship, but expensive with weak armor
  • Also, a really bad strain threshold.

3 hours ago, bblaney001 said:

They can leave the ship, though can't wander outside of whichever hangar or landing pad they are in. All for Defense.

A mounted character scale gunnery weapon with a gunnery droid blame accomplishes the same thing, without taking up cargo space.