Sign in to follow this  
bern1106

Mists of R'lyeh + Zoog + Crawling Mist

Curious title, but I've just come across a situation for the first time in three years of playing AHLCG.

Spoiler free.

Patrice is engaged with a Zoog (evade 1) and The Crawling Mist (evade 3) Massive. She uses MoR to evade the Zoog (successfully). MoR allows her to move to a connecting location when successful. The Crawling Mist, which is still engaged, won't follow as it's massive, but does it get an AoO. I think not as the move away isn't an action, which is how I played it. Just wanted it confirming.

Cheers

Interesting.. It sounds right though, because AoF’s only happen if you take an action to do something other than evade, fight or resign. Patrice used MoR to take an evade action and the move is part of a successful evade action (it’s just like magic!) so no AoF. The Mist can’t keep her from moving because of it’s massive trait, so she slips through its icy tendrils to relative safety. The Zoog is astounded! 

4 minutes ago, Mimi61 said:

Interesting.. It sounds right though, because AoF’s only happen if you take an action to do something other than evade, fight or resign. Patrice used MoR to take an evade action and the move is part of a successful evade action (it’s just like magic!) so no AoF. The Mist can’t keep her from moving because of it’s massive trait, so she slips through its icy tendrils to relative safety. The Zoog is astounded! 

it just shows, that no matter how much you play, something new always happens. Even with around 50 odd plays of Dunwich, Carcosa and TFA, I never had a situation where there was a normal enemy, with a massive enemy in the same location, that I tried to evade. Oh well, live and learn. Thanks for the reply.

I'm pretty sure you're right in there not being an AoO - you've taken an action (Evade) which doesn't trigger the AoO, so then you resolve the effects of the action. One of the side effects of a MoR Evade is the option to move to a connecting location, but as you're not taking an additional action to do so, there's no new AoO trigger, so I think you're safe.

You definitely wouldn’t take an AoO. You only take an attack of opportunity when you take an action that is not a parley, fight, resign, or evade action.

Moving when you’re at the same location as a ready enemy to which you’re engaged doesn’t *inherently *trigger an AoO - the AoO only triggers you use an action that isn’t one of those four actions (which does include move *actions* but not the Mists of Ryleh action).

Even if the second enemy to which you were engaged *weren’t* massive, you’d still be able to use the move effect on Mists to move to a new location without suffering a AoO — but the only difference would be that second enemy would follow you into your new location :) !