Sign in to follow this  
Dr Moneypants

Hyperspace format changes?

So with the system opens now being Hyperspace format, and a larger and larger pool of ships and upgrades being available, do you think we'll see any changes to the format?

Will existing ships or upgrades be rotated out of Hyperspace legality?

Will FFG decide on a set number of available ships for each faction?

Will things stay exactly as they are?

I really have no idea and am not saying any of these options is more preferable than the others. Just hoping to get some interesting ideas or opinions and hoping the thread doesn't somehow degenerate into a dumpster fire.

Edited by Dr Moneypants

23 minutes ago, RStan said:

Bolded might be even more important than just ships. 

Any ideas which direction they might go for the sake of balance/points? Which specific pilots do you think might be rotated out.. Very interested in yours and others like @Brunas opinions

8 minutes ago, Cgriffith said:

Any ideas which direction they might go for the sake of balance/points? Which specific pilots do you think might be rotated out.. Very interested in yours and others like @Brunas opinions

It's really hard to tell what exactly. I just hope the choices on specific pilots and upgrades are sensible choices. Stuff like taking out already unused pilots won't really matter and taking out pilots that while are used a lot, maybe the only pilot used for that chassis anyway (example Darth Vader in TIE Adv). Upgrades are in a similar vain. Either way, I don't want it half assed. I'd like actual meta shifting things to occur without destroying entire ships. A lot of us are more interested in Hyperspace when there are real restrictions, not a list pretending to be a restriction. 

Edited by RStan

41 minutes ago, RStan said:

A lot of us are more interested in Hyperspace when there are real restrictions, not a list pretending to be a restriction. 

Id like to see generic upgrades made hyperspace legal or illegal on a faction by faction basis. 

Edited by Boom Owl

7 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

Id like to see generic upgrades made hyperspace legal or illegal on a faction by faction basis. 

With the SOS switching over to Hyperspace, I have a feeling that they will start that. R2 astros made illegal for Republic, but still available to both Scum and Rebels would be one change I could see- you don't see the same level of regen shenanigans with either of those factions.

3 hours ago, RStan said:

It's really hard to tell what exactly. I just hope the choices on specific pilots and upgrades are sensible choices.

I'd like actual meta shifting things to occur without destroying entire ships. A lot of us are more interested in Hyperspace when there are real restrictions, not a list pretending to be a restriction. 

I'm imagining a lot of people feel this way.  I personally love the challenge of an unsolved meta, and while I am by no means a genius list architect, I enjoy the experimentation and the hunt for a great list.  I'd love to see a meta where Marek Steele, Kath Scarlett, or Backdraft (these are not all necessarily good choices, just fun examples) are staple meta choices for a few months, only to be presented with a new challenge six months later.

They really needed to start the rotation when they made the announcement, in my opinion. PAX Unplugged is going to be a mess thanks to the current state of Hyperspace, much like it seems to have been this time last year when 2.0 had just come out. 

I have written down a few musings in my most recent blog entry, but that's just the tip of the iceberg. R2 and Supernatural need to go, but there are other cards that could also be shuffled aside for six months to promote a healthy and diverse meta (Wedge, Vader, Delta-7 Anakin, etc).

7 hours ago, Stryker359 said:

R2 and Supernatural need to go, but there are other cards that could also be shuffled aside for six months to promote a healthy and diverse meta (Wedge, Vader, Delta-7 Anakin, etc).

I do agree that removing cards like R2 Astromech and such would be a good start but where I differ is removing quite possibly the most iconic character in Star Wars out of its competitive scene. Increase the points of a 62 point Delta, sure. Increase the points (of the only X1 pilot used sure) maximum probably of 3 sure. 

But if they remove Darth Vader/Anakin, or Luke/Han Solo I’m sure I wouldn’t be the only one upset.

2 hours ago, Cgriffith said:

But if they remove Darth Vader/Anakin, or Luke/Han Solo I’m sure I wouldn’t be the only one upset.

On the one hand, I agree it would be nice to keep all the iconic pilots available. However, it could also be quite interesting to have a Hyperspace season where all i5/6 pilots are removed and i3/4 pilots become the Aces...

1 hour ago, DexterOnone said:

However, it could also be quite interesting to have a Hyperspace season where all i5/6 pilots are removed and i3/4 pilots become the Aces...

That would definitely be an interesting format, unique from extended. You'd get some crazy good new aces though. New Echo, Turr Phennir and Seventh Sister imperial aces meta?

I think resistance and fo will stay the same.  The hounds tooth should make scum better in hyperspace other than that I dont see them changing.  

The Imperials and the galactic empire are the two factions that I see ffg adjusting I'm just not sure how. 

On 11/25/2019 at 12:50 AM, RStan said:

Stuff like taking out already unused pilots won't really matter and taking out pilots that while are used a lot, maybe the only pilot used for that chassis anyway (example Darth Vader in TIE Adv). Upgrades are in a similar vain. Either way, I don't want it half assed. I'd like actual meta shifting things to occur without destroying entire ships. A lot of us are more interested in Hyperspace when there are real restrictions, not a list pretending to be a restriction. 

To be honest, even rolling ships in and out would be interesting. But I agree (with the caveat that Maarek Stele can be quite good if used right); if the only TIE/x1 pilot you have is Zertik Strom, unless you also do something to seriously cut his price or increase his options, you might as well say "the TIE/x1 is no longer hyperspace legal".  

Taking the empire as an example, the TIE Interceptor, TIE/sk and TIE/v1 (especially the former and latter) are very similar ships. 

I'd far rather see each faction have, say, 4-5 ship types legal at once (but which ones varies season-on-season) than just having a continuously growing pool like extended stuff. 

I think that a Hyperspace list curated at the level of pilots and upgrades might be a little more time-consuming than FFG wants.  My expectation is that there will be chassis rotations, rather than card rotations, since the game is ostensibly about ships, and not the upgrades the ships carry.

6 minutes ago, feltipern1 said:

I think that a Hyperspace list curated at the level of pilots and upgrades might be a little more time-consuming than FFG wants.  My expectation is that there will be chassis rotations, rather than card rotations, since the game is ostensibly about ships, and not the upgrades the ships carry.

I agree.  I dont think they will go as far to allow 1 faction to take an upgrade but not others (looking at you r2). 

I could see the tie striker rotating out, or the rebel y wing.  I dont think scum is good enough in hyperspace to warrant a cut.  

3 hours ago, reqent said:

I dont think scum is good enough in hyperspace to warrant a cut.  

You could cut the Z95 and noone would notice. The same probably goes for the M3-A and the JM5K. Some of the worst Scum chassis are available in Hyperspace right now. If they take out the Fang, the Firespray, or the Viper, Scum Hyperspace dies.

1 hour ago, 5050Saint said:

You could cut the Z95 and noone would notice. The same probably goes for the M3-A and the JM5K. Some of the worst Scum chassis are available in Hyperspace right now. If they take out the Fang, the Firespray, or the Viper, Scum Hyperspace dies.

Cutting the jm5k might just be doing scum a favor......

11 hours ago, 5050Saint said:

M3A is almost good, just a tad too expensive. Tried some combos with them, the last one for hilarity and funsies a Serissu + 3 more Scyks, Seevor, Ahaav Autoblaster list, and it was really annoying for opponents, problem is that damage output is a bit low at their price point.

As for the Vipers: Xizor is DOA apart from Epic format, leaving expensive Guri and the generic.

Problem is that some known profiles are lobbying pretty pretty hard behind the scenes to get rid of the quad vipers. And as FFG so far not has introduced pips (like the ones precise hunter has, limiting ship number of a chassis in a list) in the pdf list and the squad builder, FFG's method will be a price increase for the generic Viper. With their curvy barrel roll being a liability for them if facing tractor effects (looking at e.g. you, undercosted Chertek), and them being not that trivial to fly at an already high price point, any increase will kill all non-Guri Vipers off. If Guri goes up, she disappears as well.