Uetur

Guess the new META: 500 point skirmish format?

59 minutes ago, Alpha17 said:

I disagree.  Most often when I complain about dice, or I hear others complain about it, variability really did win the game.  Doing everything right won't help you if you blank out all the time, your opponent blocks everything and/or rolls a ton of crits to punch through your stack of dodges and heavy cover.  Other than Tauntauns, with their free crits, nothing lets you perfectly mitigate the effects of bad rolls.  Can't tell you the number of times I've rolled blanks on red and black dice, only to reroll them into more blanks with aim  Skill can only go so far if the dice decide to crap out, and there are only a limited number of ways you can nudge them in the right direction. 

Do you really believe that dice can take a winning position and throw it away? I have always played legion with the mind that you never need to fire a shot that does wounds to win the game. Positioning is way more important than landing a damage. In fact, I would go to say that any shot that does not either avg 4 hits after cover or have pierce should ever fire. I agree that dice do screw you up. For instance, in my 3rd game at Gencon, I lost Boba Fett from a heavy cover deathtrooper shot on turn 2, due to lucky dice and poor positioning. I played around it and in the end, came to win because I used cover, compel and strategy to get ahead of my opponent in the objective game, forcing him to play the reaction vs being the person to make plays. 

2 hours ago, Cleto0 said:

Do you really believe that dice can take a winning position and throw it away? I have always played legion with the mind that you never need to fire a shot that does wounds to win the game. Positioning is way more important than landing a damage. In fact, I would go to say that any shot that does not either avg 4 hits after cover or have pierce should ever fire. I agree that dice do screw you up. For instance, in my 3rd game at Gencon, I lost Boba Fett from a heavy cover deathtrooper shot on turn 2, due to lucky dice and poor positioning. I played around it and in the end, came to win because I used cover, compel and strategy to get ahead of my opponent in the objective game, forcing him to play the reaction vs being the person to make plays. 

In the 500 point format I do believe dice can take away a winning position.  It doesnt bother me because it is a lot easier to get more games in and once it occurs it tends to obviously snowball.

Edited by Uetur

5 hours ago, Uetur said:
6 hours ago, Cleto0 said:

In the 500 point format I do believe dice can take away a winning position.  It doesnt bother me because it is a lot easier to get more games in and once it occurs it tends to obviously snowball.

I would compare 500 point Legion to how X-wing runs. In X-wing it does not matter how good you outplay you opponent, sometimes you will just lose a game with bad dice or the opponent having really good rolls.

Which makes it a strength of the game. Pretty much can run 3 small games instead of one regular 800 point game. I like to test crazy units combos out a lot and if the build I use does not work I did not waste three hours of my time. Maybe the dice make you lose or bad positioning, but it all good!

22 hours ago, Cleto0 said:

Yes, I do.  For instance, a game last night on Vaps, my opponent's Luke, without dodge tokens for all but one attack, was able to walk right through everything I shot at it.  Out of ten defensive dice rolled, 1 got through.  Sabine was even better, and even his white dice were doing pretty good.  Against his attacks, I was averaging maybe 30% blocks.  Lost a unit of Deathtroopers in three attacks through cover, and only one attack had pierce  When dice results are that different, it absolutely will change a game.  I can have the best position in the world and it won't matter when I might as well be shooting blanks.  

Second of all, we clearly have different gameplay philosophies.  4 hits after cover as your base line?  Jeez, that'd be nice.  What do you do when you have no shots, and are on a good position?  Don't make the shot?  Don't make use of suppression?  

1 hour ago, Alpha17 said:

Second of all, we clearly have different gameplay philosophies.  4 hits after cover as your base line?  Jeez, that'd be nice.  What do you do when you have no shots, and are on a good position?  Don't make the shot?  Don't make use of suppression?  

I say suppression is almost more important than the actual wounds. I do like stacking against one unit, but I only attack if A. I get damage or B. I have no better option. Sometimes a double move is less fun, but better for the strategy. A key unit can also make use of a dodge quite well

ok I am know expert here but i now played three 500 point games and been playing rebels and i have found that  princes and walking carpet are fun and competitive at least against what i have faced so far then i mixed in 4 core and to medic droids seem to hit hard enough and yet still 6 activation seem to make it so i can play them flexible enough

14 hours ago, Fistofriles said:

ok I am know expert here but i now played three 500 point games and been playing rebels and i have found that  princes and walking carpet are fun and competitive at least against what i have faced so far then i mixed in 4 core and to medic droids seem to hit hard enough and yet still 6 activation seem to make it so i can play them flexible enough

I’ve been working on some Leia and Chewie lists myself! I think they are a fun combo.

In 800pt games I often have trouble setting up their combo shot from Chewies command card but on the 3’x3’ table I think it’ll be a little easier.

On 12/20/2019 at 12:46 PM, BenBot said:

I’ve been working on some Leia and Chewie lists myself! I think they are a fun combo.

In 800pt games I often have trouble setting up their combo shot from Chewies command card but on the 3’x3’ table I think it’ll be a little easier.

yes way easier

they are fun i found that when doped Chewie point i trying fit him all the time