Sign in to follow this  
flatpackhamster

Anyone getting any mileage out of Palpatine?

I tried last night playing my usual opponent.  We played a 600pt game.  I brought Palpatine with 2 ISD-2s, Chimaera, a Quasar and an Arquitens and a hull-heavy fighter wing (Bossk, Jendon, Maarek Steele, VT-49, 3 x TB) and he brought a Madine fleet with an MC80 Liberty, 2 x CR90s, MC30, Neb B and 4 Lancers and 4 YT2400s.  Even though I won I couldn't pick at his tokens effectively enough against light ships.  ISDs versus small ships just blow them away if they end up in the front arc and the side arcs couldn't molest the small base ships enough for token shenanigans to matter.

I would have been better off with almost any other commander for all the use I got out of Palpatine this time.

On 11/30/2019 at 8:52 AM, flatpackhamster said:

It depends what's coming towards you.  To really make it work you need to be knocking braces or redirects off more than one ship per turn. 

Not really you just need to force them to not use them.

On 11/30/2019 at 7:47 AM, ISD Avenger said:

I thought Palpy might go well with the new Onagers. Couple of super long range shots to threaten the brace and/or redirect. When up close threaten the new salvo.

It's not bad, but I wonder why not just run an Intel Officer instead?

15 hours ago, Nomemories said:

Not really you just need to force them to not use them.

Either way, the point remains the same.  It relies on you facing a fleet where you can, on a particular turn, deal with a particular type of defence token for as many ships that carry it as you possibly can. 

Better players than me can do it, I'm sure.