ScummyRebel

New Official App In Development!

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

Then again, I'm odd, and have odd preferences about squadbuilders.  I think the original 1e YASB was bad.  I never liked the layout.  I hate the way you're unable to build an illegal ship: I'd rather be able to build illegal stuff and have a flag, so that if I'm duplicating ships or changing stuff around, I don't see my upgrades disappear.  I can't even remember the name of the one I preferred (Squad Builder UK?), but that got wicked slow by the end of 1e, and didn't make the transition to 2e.

I respect the work Rathos is putting in, and it's a really comprehensive resource, but it's like a paraphrase of the old quip: YASB is the worst squadbuilder, except for all the others.

It was @voidstate's Unofficial X-Wing Squad Builder.  I looooooved it.  No disrespect to the designers, because you are 100% carrying the ball for FFG, but I have always hated YASB's layout, hard-to-read printouts (especially if you can't do color}, and the inability to sort by PS/IN after you have made a list.  As an Epic list maker, there is no way in **** to make my list in IN order without making the whole thing first then entering it, and no way to get it in order once done if you can't decide in advance the highest IN ship you are going to have.

But Voidstate bowed out of XWM when 2.0 happened, leaving YASB as the best cloud-based builder.

And I'm with @theBitterFig; I would really like to see a squad builder that let DIYers add unofficial content, mix factions, and do all sorts of cool things that an official app probably won't ever do.

If the new App really is good, allowing players unofficial flexibility would be the reason to still have 3rd party squad builders.

Edited by Darth Meanie

3 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

And I'm with @theBitterFig; I would really like to see a squad builder that let DIYers add unofficial content, mix factions, and do all sorts of cool things that an official app probably won't ever do.

Mostly, I just use it for duplicate unique things: Build Fenn Rau, add Fearless, copy twice without having the pilots drop to Zealous Recruits and delete Fearless, so I can just change the pilots to Old T and Kad, for example.  Or build a list with the crew and pilot versions of the same character, since I'm still in sandbox mode and not sure what I want.

However, yeah, allow mixing.  Adding unofficial content I'm less sold on (depending on what it means), but so long as there are major warnings on printouts and such, a lot of this would be worthwhile.

My best third party builder had been and is X-wing Squad Designer for Android by David Borque since first edition. Clean lay out, easy add delete sort and duplicates. Sortable saves. Card library. Dial charts. Great export to share function. Almost next day updates of any reveal. Game Format functions. And more besides that I never really mess with. Even had a neat archive box for saved squads. It's not on any of the stores though, you have to download it from their site.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, joeshmoe554 said:

Official Quickbuild support would also be a very nice feature.

This, very-much this.

They provided a nice easy way to get into the game, then skipped a bit to get  to the main game.

I don't get to play much at all, so quick-build is handy. Having no quick-build in the app is a big omission.

I would use the fan-made apps, but I would prefer a fully-working, regularly- and quickly-updated official app.

Edited by Aetherer
Thinkings

8 hours ago, Aetherer said:

This, very-much this.

They provided a nice easy way to get into the game, then skipped a bit to get  to the main game.

I don't get to play much at all, so quick-build is handy. Having no quick-build in the app is a big omission.

I would use the fan-made apps, but I would prefer a fully-working, regularly- and quickly-updated official app.

The XW squad designer mentioned above has a quick build cards function. I've never used it but if you're looking for one, figured I'd mention it

3 hours ago, ForceSensitive said:

The XW squad designer mentioned above has a quick build cards function. I've never used it but if you're looking for one, figured I'd mention it

I can't see the Quickbuilds without donating first, but I would be interested to know if it includes all of them.  One of the problems in the quick build format is finding all of the quickbuilds available.  The scum Z-95 for example had quickbuilds released online for the conversion kit, and a new set of quickbuilds included in the expansion.  These can both be found on FFG's web-site, but the new quick builds in the Hotshots expansion and the Bossk quick build in the YV-666 (which is different from the quick build in the Hotshots expansion) are both not found on FFG's web-site and can only be found by buying those expansions or watching Crabbok's unboxing videos (most of the other unboxing videos seem to skip these even though it's the only thing you can't find outside of the expansion).  This is also not including Quick build cards that were given away as prizes.

There's also the fact that the threat on some of the quickbuilds changed on FFG's web-site at one point so it's hard to know what the threat is for the cards.  YASB has a quick build option, but it is missing a lot of the more recent quick builds and has multiple errors.  Infinite Arena's is closer, but even that one is missing a few quick builds.  It would be really good if FFG had one online resource that provided a list of all the Quickbuilds for the game to help support people that like the Quick Build format.  I've run 4 events now using variants on a Quick Build Draft and it's a lot of fun, but the lack of support makes it difficult.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, joeshmoe554 said:

I can't see the Quickbuilds without donating first, but I would be interested to know if it includes all of them.  One of the problems in the quick build format is finding all of the quickbuilds available.  The scum Z-95 for example had quickbuilds released online for the conversion kit, and a new set of quickbuilds included in the expans

I means, yasb has had quick builds in since the day they released...so go use that one i guess?

Edited by Ablazoned

16 hours ago, ForceSensitive said:

My best third party builder had been and is X-wing Squad Designer for Android by David Borque since first edition. Clean lay out, easy add delete sort and duplicates. Sortable saves. Card library. Dial charts. Great export to share function. Almost next day updates of any reveal. Game Format functions. And more besides that I never really mess with. Even had a neat archive box for saved squads. It's not on any of the stores though, you have to download it from their site.

For those interested, the web address is:  https://swz-dmb.blogspot.com/