ScummyRebel

New Official App In Development!

16 minutes ago, svelok said:

It all gets posted here anyways. Does it matter if the person who does it is on payroll?

See below.

4 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

I wouldn't have to back track and double-check if it is "Fake News." So I find out by seeing a link in a forum post. Then I have to follow the link and then need to check out if the source or account is legit. 

2 minutes ago, Merrick_H said:

It is a matter of legitimacy.  The new release timeline was initially posted on a discord server and then relayed here where it was met with healthy skepticism as it was second-hand information. 

It is the difference between, "I heard FFG said that..." and "FFG Official Account Announcement:..."

Having information coming directly from an official source rather than second hand makes it legitimate from the start and much less likely to be questioned.

Not everyone uses Twitter or FB. Relying on those two outlets for Official information releases and not posting it to either their own News page or Forum as well/instead will always raise valid concerns of the accuracy of the information. Though the News page has been acting up lately (the blasted Wave 6 article is hit or miss whether or not it can be viewed for example).

Now I find myself hoping that the single upgrade slot only for the Scyk and T-70 Weapons Hardpoint was from a limitation of the old Official Squad builder and will be expanded to permit any missile, torpedo or cannon upgrade to be equipped in the new Squad Builder. Probably wistful thinking though...

17 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Now I find myself hoping that the single upgrade slot only for the Scyk and T-70 Weapons Hardpoint was from a limitation of the old Official Squad builder and will be expanded to permit any missile, torpedo or cannon upgrade to be equipped in the new Squad Builder. Probably wistful thinking though...

Yeah... no.

Let's not make Barrage Rocket Poe a thing. Thanks.

6 hours ago, svelok said:

It all gets posted here anyways. Does it matter if the person who does it is on payroll?

Any company that has its own forum/website where official news is distributed (like FAQs, errata, or previews of new content) should be using that first to display any news. Using social media is fine, and a good tool, but as others have said- many of the playerbase may or may not use those avenues as sources of news from the company. Putting up a quick article or making an official News sticky thread that can only be commented on by FFG employees for the specific purpose of informing the players would be the most logical and easiest way to do things. Then you can just link that post to whatever social media service you want.

11 hours ago, Frimmel said:

I wonder how much anger got deleted from the original "nope" thread. I'd also be curious if there was a discernible drop in usage of the app. This coming from Organized Play and not FFG suggests a shifting of where the expense for maintaining the app goes in the company

One of the reasons why the app was introduced was the ability for FFG to see which pilot & upgrade cards and formats are played around with by logged in players, and what is finally saved as squad lists. This is hugely useful data for development of new stuff, balancing and seeing what lifts and what gets dissed as uninteresting.

With their official app being that terrible people instead work with Yasb2 and other builders, and FFG only sees the data from their own (almost exclusively 200/3) tournaments and events.

8 hours ago, Managarmr said:

One of the reasons why the app was introduced was the ability for FFG to see which pilot & upgrade cards and formats are played around with by logged in players, and what is finally saved as squad lists. This is hugely useful data for development of new stuff, balancing and seeing what lifts and what gets dissed as uninteresting.

With their official app being that terrible people instead work with Yasb2 and other builders, and FFG only sees the data from their own (almost exclusively 200/3) tournaments and events.

Those are some of the complaints I made about the app at the outset. I was very surprised there wasn't tournament running software as part of it. I was surprised the collection feature wasn't better implemented especially as a market research tool. That there wasn't some way for players to just track a list's performance themselves. 

And they were also missing out on using the app as marketing. The Epic stuff not being in the app made it quite easy to go with, "I don't need any of that." 

22 hours ago, Parakitor said:

I called it! (That feels surprisingly good!)

Yep.

Your argument had me pretty convinced you were right.  And I'm glad you are!!

I really hope they support print-and-play.  As a casual-only player (and playing at 500 points mostly}, I hate fussing with a ton of cards.

Edited by Darth Meanie