Sign in to follow this  
unfassbarnathan

[Blog] - Australian Grand Droidfest

6 hours ago, Antipodean Ork said:

I was your second game - not being able to get all in on Sear made my life considerably more difficult!

Having played Sear swarm quite a bit I don't mind if my opponent goes after Sear, it's almost a trap and more often than not the damage I do to my opponent while they try to take out Sear seals the game for me 

But if you can pop a heap of droids early on then I'm in trouble even though Sear is alive 

33 minutes ago, FriendofYoda said:

What as a Sear swarm player do you typically not want to see on the other side of the table? Is there a hard counter you’d be hoping to avoid?

Not OP but played Sear swarm for the last 3 months and took them to the same event

Regen Jedi and Fel/Whisper/Something - its not a hard counter but it can be so hard to pin them down and get enough arcs on them to push damage through their token stacking while they pop a droid or two every turn 

Another Int 1 Sear Swarm that is first player - again, not a hard counter but my only losses were the mirror where my opponent got the initiative, because you are all Int 1 (except for Sear) then the tac relay does nothing so the person that knows the board state ins't changing before they move and thus can ensure they get tokens or go where they need has a huge advantage  

For me, that's pretty much it, anything else I feel I can chew through quite easily 

1 hour ago, Kordos said:

For me, that's pretty much it, anything else I feel I can chew through quite easily

Have any Nantex lists been tough? Interesting that getting ps killed by Rebel/Republic beef hasn’t been an issue, but I guess you have enough ships that you don’t care!

3 minutes ago, FriendofYoda said:

Have any Nantex lists been tough? Interesting that getting ps killed by Rebel/Republic beef hasn’t been an issue, but I guess you have enough ships that you don’t care!

So long as not too many droids pop in the first 2 engagements droids are fine, i will not be surprised if the list is nerfed into the ground in Jan  

Nantex pulls one ship out of position, kills it, I get tokens, I nuke their ships in arc

Between 2 green dice and everyone having a calc token because you move first - the beef shoots, kills a droid, maybe two if they are lucky. Droids nuke the best target, buzz droids do damage, droid car park happens, droids pick the beef off the bones 

5 hours ago, FriendofYoda said:

What as a Sear swarm player do you typically not want to see on the other side of the table? Is there a hard counter you’d be hoping to avoid?

Pretty much what @Kordos said. The mirror against other droids has been the scariest thing I've faced. I can imagine other swarms (TIE or Sinker) giving it some trouble, but would need to play the matchups a few times to see who was favoured. Also well flown super patient aces could probably do it, but can very often simply block/corner the aces and kill them.

Inferno swarm builds can be a threat - high initiative, lots of mods and lots of easy triggers for the extra die attacks plus crack shot mean a good chance of taking out multiple droids before they shoot.

As has been mentioned, Jedi are absolutely capable of beating it.

DBS-404/Grievous/Chertek/Petronaki or quad nantex have strong matchups too, Sun Fac probably less so because he gives up so many points when he dies.

The Torani/Jostero scum salads have a ton ways of doing extra damage  to droids.

Edited by apoapsis

Being completely honest, when I ran Sun Fac, Chertek, Grievous at worlds, Sear swarms were a bye.  It was pretty easy to approach from multiple directions and pull & kill droids out of position.  I'd always lose one ship - whichever one they bit on - but the other two would close out the game by killing all the droids.  Usually time gets called with me at one dead and one half dead ship, and them with Sear and 0-2 droids, depending on how efficient I was.