Wazat

Poll: Thoughts on Epic (now that you've played)

Here's a poll for those who have played Epic.  If you haven't played yet, but plan to, don't worry: the poll will be up for at least a month.

If the wiki poll isn't working for you for some reason (some mobile browsers are finicky), you can directly access the poll here.

What are your feelings about Epic?

• I love it!
  • It's overall good
  • I'm disappointed
  • I won't be playing, so I don't know/care

Discuss your answers in this thread.  I haven't gotten to play yet but hopefully will this week.  I'm excited to hear people's experiences!

You can also check out last month's poll, which ended a few days ago.

It is incredibly well done. The wing flights are intuitive, reduce clutter and make the whole thing so much smoother and faster while also adding new mechanics to flights of other-wise kind of boring ships.

I tried epic in 1.0 once and never opened that box again. I have been playing epic 2.0 since it came out to the exclusion of all my other hobbies.

16 hours ago, Parakitor said:

It's a lot of fun, but setup is REALLY important. Which is actually a lot like Runewars, which I totally loved as well. If you botch setup, it can be virtually over before it starts.

It reminds of Armada a bit. It’s hard to flatout win a game at setup, but it’s quite easy to lose one.

2 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

Man I miss Armada

What happened to it? They're getting new ships next month, they just got a campaign box, and they're getting Clone Wars next year. I thought now is a good time to be an Armada player. FFG has clearly decided on them over Imperial Assault as the winner in their keep/kill metrics.

2 hours ago, ClassicalMoser said:

What happened to it? They're getting new ships next month, they just got a campaign box, and they're getting Clone Wars next year. I thought now is a good time to be an Armada player. FFG has clearly decided on them over Imperial Assault as the winner in their keep/kill metrics.

Nyc table real estate is too **** limited :(

Edited by ficklegreendice

2 hours ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Maybe but armada balance is no where close to the equality of xwing. Also it’s takes a lot of practice and it’s more dependent on practice and planning. So it’s a major time investment of easily 3 hours of practice prep for a 2 hour game. Not worth it most of the time. 

10 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

So, essential question

Darth Sidious plus Comms Team...is that a multi- DEWIT!?

Yeah, if you spend the force.

You just want to watch out for DREADNOUGHT HUNTER MARKSMANSHIP MAAREK STEELE! He can basically kill your crew

EDIT: Upon closer inspection, “Bridge Hit” actually does nearly nothing to Palpatine.

It seems the dark side is a path to abilities some would consider ... unnatural...

Edited by ClassicalMoser

30 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Yeah, if you spend the force.

You just want to watch out for DREADNOUGHT HUNTER MARKSMANSHIP MAAREK STEELE! He can basically kill your crew

EDIT: Upon closer inspection, “Bridge Hit” actually does nearly nothing to Palpatine.

It seems the dark side is a path to abilities some would consider ... unnatural...

nothing more natural than a trio of pro-torp hyena bombers getting full mods + I 7 target-locks while sitting pretty on rocks and therefore ignoring the stress drawback!

Today I learned that Veteran Wing Leader is limited 1, so only one wing per player currently.  Drat, looks like I'm redesigning my fleet before I play tomorrow.

But to be fair, YASB didn't notice either and didn't stop me from assigning it again.  ;)

11 hours ago, Wazat said:

Today I learned that Veteran Wing Leader is limited 1, so only one wing per player currently.

That can't be right. Agent of the Empire is limited to 2. Why would the generic be limited to 1? Why would it be limited at all?

Edit: ok, apparently Agent of the Empire is limited to 1, not 2, which makes me sad.

Edited by Hatemonger

10 hours ago, Wazat said:

Today I learned that Veteran Wing Leader is limited 1, so only one wing per player currently.  Drat, looks like I'm redesigning my fleet before I play tomorrow.

But to be fair, YASB didn't notice either and didn't stop me from assigning it again.  ;)

swz57_spread.png

It's not limited. Your fleet is fine!

11 hours ago, Wazat said:

Unless it is a stipulation your gaming group has on its own applied for their games, the restriction does not exist. Veteran Wing Leader is not a limited upgrade.

6 hours ago, Hatemonger said:

That can't be right. Agent of the Empire is limited to 2. Why would the generic be limited to 1? Why would it be limited at all?

Agent o empire lets you buddy buddy with cheap, efficient meatshield TIE Fighters

vet leader does not (unless you're also a TIE fighter; probably Howlie), since it's gotta be same ship-type

Big difference. imagine if republic could slip a Delta betwixt a bunch of dedicated Torrents instead of just more Deltas 

Yup, it's not limited.  It was a typo somewhere else.  Sorry everyone!

I played my first epic game today and it was fun.  I flew TIE Interceptors though so it was... very random.  My first round of combat I fired with 6 TIE Interceptors with focus tokens and dealt 2 damage.  ...grumble...dice game...

Wings are definitely fantastic and I'll be employing them as often as possible.  It vastly sped up the game (until we started losing cohesion), and it helps a lot to have init 1 scrubs getting pulled along by an init 6 leader.

The Gozanti died too quickly but I did enjoy it.  It's a good coordination + jamming machine.  My opponent's Raider though was a terror.  I'm interested in flying that next...  Also, Turbolaser is an unholy anti-huge-ship weapon; absolutely bring it to every game.  My opponent had an amazing combo of Instigator + Admiral Sloane + Ion Cannon Battery, making sure he regularly had lots of dice mods.

The best weapon I had turned out to be proton bombs on two TIE Strikers.  After pouring out of the dying Gozanti, they bombed for unavoidable damage when I couldn't seem to make my rolled hits stick to anything.  I'd like to field some proton bombs with trajectory simulators next; Epic benefits from area damage and control.  Though options are limited to one scurrg, or death shimps.... Death Shrimps it is!

This was our first 2.0 Epic game so it was kinda slow, but it was still way faster than 2.0.  This was also a 600 point list, so it's understandably slower.  I'll hopefully be able to play tomorrow too, where we'll try out 400 point lists.

12 minutes ago, Wazat said:

I'd like to field some proton bombs with trajectory simulators next; Epic benefits from area damage and control.  Though options are limited to one scurrg, or death shimps.... Death Shrimps it is!

You don't have any Punishers? That'd be a third Trajectory Sim option if you do.