Sign in to follow this  
Boom Owl

Why Dont You Run Ensnare Nantex?

Mostly because I don't want to be an a-hole, partly that I don't want to invest the time into them they'd need.

I probably can be an a-hole sometimes.  My local scene is generally pretty chill.  I often like fly more competitive stuff, to try out a winning list, now and again. Not all of them, but some look more interesting to me than others (Jesper Winström's list with CLT Mace and Obi along with a stacked 7B Anakin?  Seemed cool, with him describing almost jousting with Mace/Obi to buy Ani time).  But I figure there's a limit.  I'll pack some of these lists for myself now and again, and mostly try to fly stuff that's more jank and less jerk.  Meanwhile, Nantex are odd enough that they'd take a decent number of reps, enough practice time with them.  I'd rather spend my a-hole budget on something else, something that I like more, that's less of a bully, that I'm more practiced with.

Also saved some real-money budget.  I got one, but if I were flying more of them, I could easily see myself with up to 3 in total.  I'm sure I'll spend the same $40 on some other plastic toys I don't need, but still.

//

I've flown against them some, more Chertek and Arena Aces than Sun Fac, actually.  My opponent took to them fairly quickly, and the 3 or 4 Init 4 lists are quite nasty against anything that's moving before them.   In general, I wish the design of the Nantex wasn't quite so robust against blocks.  With the Init 4 ones--Chertek and generics--I strongly think you shouldn't be able to fit four in a list, or at least not with the second talent slot filled or giving up Init 4.  Like, the generic with Ensnare ought to be 50-51 points, Chertek at least 51, just so you can't get more words than just Ensnare if you're running four.  These suckers don't need or deserve access to Predator as well.  I know Grievous could (and probably should... 3 + Grievous seems far better than 4) slot in easily, but still.  Some ships ought to hit the breakpoints.  Four Skull Squadron Fang Fighters can't take Crack Shot, for example.  Maybe those need a price cut, but still.

//

Nantex keep me reminding about something I've long thought about TIE Defenders.  TIE Defenders aren't priced around being large tournament competitive, and they shouldn't be. They're based around not being absolute pigs at casual night and small kit tourneys.  And I think it works.  You love the TIE Defender, want to give them a go at the FLGS and have a fun afternoon or evening?  They're great at that, and that's enough.

I'd have no problem with the Nantex being priced likewise.  The amount of control, combined with the power of the ace-play, combined with the blocking resistance...

I do, and I like it quite a lot, although definitely not something I'd put on more than one Nantex at a time. So far I had moderate success with it in a few casual games - Ensnare Chertek together with Outmaneuver Grievous and Adv Proton Torpedo DBS-404 are a fun combo with the debuff. Didn't really like Sun Fac that much, costly, fragile and quite unreliable with no re-rolls. I would imagine that Ensnare could prove useful when fielding triple Discord Missiles, but I didn't try that one out yet.

11 hours ago, Boom Owl said:

https://strawpoll.com/6w91g4h1

See title. See poll.

What if you do fly Nantex with Ensnare?

9 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

Mostly because I don't want to be an a-hole, partly that I don't want to invest the time into them they'd need.

It really only kills the Aces type lists.  I don't mind being a hard counter to those guys.  

1 hour ago, LagJanson said:

Didn’t buy one. Half my Vulcher dials became sponges. CIS is a dead faction (in my collection)

That's Jedi and Resistance to me.  

9 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

This.

I'm not crazy about the tractor mechanics in the first place.

This doesn't feel fair/fun on either side no matter the outcome. The thing gets lots of actions in a combo-wing sort of way and that was something that wasn't supposed to be in 2nd Edition. 

This looks like it would need a lot of practice as well. It seems one of those "high floor" lists. At the median or one deviation towards the high skill end of the curve it doesn't seem all that. Get past that... Folks are going to hate it even when they're beating it and then they're just going to not want to play against it. 

I appreciate the effort to create something new with the Nantex mechanics but this should never have been let into the wild. Games need to be careful with how they let the players act on one another. Nantex seems geared to a "I want to mess with you and frustrate you even if I don't win" attitude. I have enough unsavory character traits. I don't need that one as well. 

22 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

It really only kills the Aces type lists.  I don't mind being a hard counter to those guys.  

Actually, it's quite good at killing lower count generics too... Swarms make the poor bug sad, of course. Besides, hard counters in list building make for poor experiences on the mat. 

23 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

That's Jedi and Resistance to me.  

I still have yet to put Resistance on the mat. Built a list once... actually, it's still built and in a sealed bag to go to the store... and has been for most of a year.

9 hours ago, Crimsonwarlock said:

What is this build?

Darth Maul (67)
Sense (5)
Tractor Beam (2)

Chertek (39)
Crack Shot (1)
Ensnare (10)

Trade Federation Drone (19)

Total: 200

Its the list I took to Worlds: BATREP

Didn't enjoy playing it

It's just...super weird and surprisiny really difficult to get working. The lack of a bank boost is noticable and I have nowhere NEAR enough faith to send its 4 hull *** barreling into an enemy formation 

Def my least favorite CiS ship. I use the other four liberally (well the beeble is only Soulless One, but you knew that already)

Edited by ficklegreendice

I do, too, @wurms

Personally, though, I think I do run it because it's a mechanic that fills that Scum-shaped hole in my X-Winging.  I started off in Scum when I played 1.0, so my predilection has generally been "mess-with-you" tactics.  I've lost more than I've won, doing this, but I enjoy it nonetheless.

Edited by feltipern1

5 minutes ago, feltipern1 said:

I do, too, @wurms

Personally, though, I think I do run it because it's a mechanic that fills that Scum-shaped hole in my X-Winging.  I started off in Scum when I played 1.0, so my predilection has generally been "mess-with-you" tactics.  I've lost more than I've won, doing this, but I enjoy it nonetheless.

It is very scummy feeling.

Will be trying this soon:

Count Dooku (63)
Sense (5)

Stalgasin Hive Guard (34)
Ensnare (10)

Ensnare (10)

Ensnare (10)
Total: 200