Sign in to follow this  
CEOWolf

Phanterawesome (Black Panther appreciation)

So I hear people aren't fans of T'challa but after trying him for first time today he is only one I wanna play! I had an entire Enemy Phase go Perfect with no damage! And attacked 5 times or so (counting a minion) 

I liked him with Leadership. Once you get Golden City, he can stay in AE mode and grab another two cards and just bust out a bunch of Allies, then flip to Hero, play Lead from the Front and Wakanda 4Ever. I had Vision, Maria Hill, Luke Cage (from friendly discard pile) all out when I did this. Lots of damage, or even just wipe out like all the threat if its getting close.

Black Panther's signature cards are efficient but not high impact when compared to other heroes. That's why he doesn't always feel powerful.

But Vibranium+Golden City combined with the overall low cost of his signatures makes it so he uses/relies on aspect cards the most, which is a blessing and curse.

Blessing in that he can really pilot leadership to do insane things, tho the other aspects aren't quite strong enough to make up the difference (tho Justice felt okay largely on the back of For Justice and Daredevil).

Black Panther/Leadership feels real strong every time I play it.  Black Panther's challenge is he needs to speed through his deck to capitalize on his play style.  Leadership lets him do that.  He is also the hardest deck to play in the core IMO, which is probably why people rate him lower.  The other heroes have a more straight forward play style.

Edited by phillos

1 hour ago, Supertoe said:

What do you mean?

I mean. I played this game like 8 times thinking Defense was calculated automatically every time your attacked not only when you exhaust to defend

2 minutes ago, CEOWolf said:

I mean. I played this game like 8 times thinking Defense was calculated automatically every time your attacked not only when you exhaust to defend

Ohhh, I thought you meant the reverse. Yeah only when you exhaust to defend can you use defense.

2 hours ago, Supertoe said:

Fixed that for ya 😂

Leadership makes any hero look strong.

Because of Vibranium, Golden City, and the low avg cost of his signatures, BP has the best leadership deck. This will be even more true once Captain America pack releases and the leadership ally deck become even more expensive with Avengers assemble and Falcon.

Captain Marvel has the resources but her signatures are a lot more expensive and leadership doesn't have a ton of energy, good but not as good as BP. Spiderman leadership is close as he has Black Cat synergy but BP edges out imo on resources and his signatures are among the most expensive. Ironman leadership is a bit different, as it is less about the combos and more about playing allies to support and block while he does his thing. And due to her hero mode hand limit, She-Hulk leadership is just not good...

Edited by Deadwolf

4 hours ago, Deadwolf said:

Because of Vibranium, Golden City, and the low avg cost of his signatures, BP has the best leadership deck. This will be even more true once Captain America pack releases and the leadership ally deck become even more expensive with Avengers assemble and Falcon.

Captain Marvel has the resources but her signatures are a lot more expensive and leadership doesn't have a ton of energy, good but not as good as BP. Spiderman leadership is close as he has Black Cat synergy but BP edges out imo on resources and his signatures are among the most expensive. Ironman leadership is a bit different, as it is less about the combos and more about playing allies to support and block while he does his thing. And due to her hero mode hand limit, She-Hulk leadership is just not good...

She-Hulk Leadership was fine solo, the allies are best suited to keeping threat low, and once she has both Focused Rage’s out, you effectively have a 6 card hand even starting in hero mode. 

I never understood why people think BP is underpowered. If you use the setup ability for panther claws, then you have 5 cards in your deck that are 1 resource for 4 damage which is way above rate, the only thing that might contest that rate is counter punch with she-hulk but that requires exhausting. It doesn't really even matter if you never play another upgrade the whole game, you are generating value after you play your second WF. 

I keep reading people saying that he's like iron man but worse. To me they aren't similar. You don't have an extended building time. You are guaranteed to start with Panther Claws in your hand. He has 6 double resource cards to put out an upgrade. 

If you do end up playing another upgrade in the game, then you basically are making bonuses for WF. 

Overall I think people are focusing too much on getting all his upgrades out which he doesn't need. BP is more aspect focused that the other heroes imo. 

Point is, I think BP is fine and not underpowered. The name of his game is versatility, he's not as linear as someone like iron man.

What I find interesting about leadership is different heroes want different things out of that aspect.  For Black Panther I wanna Play Shuri, Maria and Nick for their draw effects and get them out of play as fast as possible so I can play them again with Make The Call.  Between that and Golden City it's the only way I can see in core to get BP up and running reasonably early game.  in that deck Hawkeye is huge boon playing against Ultron, but BP can often do alot of that work himself.

In contrast Spiderman favors Inspired for Black Cat and Get ready always has a target for him.  Vision is better in Captain Marvel and Iron Man decks since they are stacking energy icons so he sees way more utility.  They are also more likely to take Lead From The Front and Triskelion since they are energy resources even though usually they are dead cards in hand in other hero decks.  So depending on my hero that aspect spread can be real different.  Leadership in core only feels like the most well thought out aspect in this regard.  Leadership feels like a tool box that enhances when your hero cards are already trying to do, while the others are a bit more one note.  I'm sure this will all open up for the other aspects when we start getting more packs.

I want BP/ Protection to be a thing since he has retaliate and Vibranium suit.  So Get Behind Me, Counter Punch, Indomitable and Armored-Vest should all be good cards for him on paper.  Though it just feels so much slower to get his late game where he's all set and cycling his deck for For Wakanda.  Also it felt like often I had extra resources just being wasted each turn in that deck since Protection is so cheap.  Leadership felt more well adjusted to his cost curve.

Edited by phillos

44 minutes ago, 2morrow said:

The name of his game is versatility, he's not as linear as someone like iron man.

I agree wholeheartedly with this.

T'Challa's setup ability is the key -- you are guaranteed to start with a situationally useful upgrade. Personally, I most often start with Tactical Genius rather than the Claws but in the context of damage dealing, securing them early so freely is really good.

29 minutes ago, phillos said:

Also it felt like often I had extra resources just being wasted each turn in that deck since Protection is so cheap. 

This aspect of Black Panther with protection is probably better in multiplayer? The more encounter cards that hit the table, the more villain upgrades are coming out, and Vibranium seems super useful for discarding those.

Also, I definitely leaned heavily towards threat reduction early on in my playthroughs? If threat doesn’t build up too much, you can’t lose, right? But playing a bit more aggressively (not even with the Aggression Aspect) has me seeing the game a bit differently, and that makes the claws a much more attractive starting upgrade.