Sign in to follow this  
Talonbane Cobra

Spider-Woman Ally

So Marvel recently-ish changed her costume and gave her a great new book, where they maybe don't focus so much on her awkward sex pheromone powers but it feels like her Ally card using her old costume and having an ability kinda referencing her pheromones feels off to me.

Anyone else think they should make a replacement card for her, at least with art using her new costume, which is awesome.

Please FFG this is a modern game, and Marvel made an effort to sort out the Jessicas Bum outfit! Maybe be more careful with art selection? 

Personally I prefer her old costume.

FFG has more than fifty years of Marvel comic book history at their disposal for this game. The fact that the wrecking Crew is coming out shows they're prepared to utilise that history. I'd be disappointed if FFG restricted themselves to current characters only.

3 hours ago, Talonbane Cobra said:

So Marvel recently-ish changed her costume and gave her a great new book, where they maybe don't focus so much on her awkward sex pheromone powers but it feels like her Ally card using her old costume and having an ability kinda referencing her pheromones feels off to me.

Anyone else think they should make a replacement card for her, at least with art using her new costume, which is awesome.

Please FFG this is a modern game, and Marvel made an effort to sort out the Jessicas Bum outfit! Maybe be more careful with art selection? 

Very much with you on this. 

Characters often go through various minor changes over the years. Some times the changes stick and other times they revert. It's probably best for them to stick with what the general audience is familiar with than more recent changes.

Take Jubilee for example. Most only know her from the 90s cartoon so it would be best to have her similar to that instead of being a vampire. Familiarity with characters helps the game gain interest. Putting any character in a new costume might make them less recognizable and runs the risk of looking outdated if the character changes shortly after that.

I think in her case Marvel basically admitted her costume had .... Issues. Carol basically called it slutty or something, and there were some viral images of her drawn in a pretty bad way, so they reimagined her and the new launch was IMO at least really Excellent. So I would have thought Marvel would want to push her new look.

They changed her original costume because well, it essentially has an arrow pointing directly to her crotch. Which is fair enough (looks like the newer version of it changes the shape of the midsection to remove this).

At the same time, the period of Marvel's history you're describing was not particularly well liked by a lot of people, and I'm pretty sure that the Spider-Woman series you're describing was part of that. So I can understand FFG maybe not rushing to cater specifically to it. We did get Carol and have Kamala coming, so they're not completely ignoring it; it just feels like they are used the most recognisable version of Jessica.

Also, I'm sure I'm not the only one who didn't associate her Ally card's power with her pheromones. I just took it as more of a 'distract the enemy' ability which should 100% be in the wheelhouse for any Spider character (I find it really, really weird that SPIDER-MAN is one of the worst heroes at dealing with threat and doesn't have anything representing his quips...a card to Confuse the enemy would have made sense, though I guess there's limits on space).

1 hour ago, Abyss said:

At the same time, the period of Marvel's history you're describing was not particularly well liked by a lot of people, and I'm pretty sure that the Spider-Woman series you're describing was part of that. So I can understand FFG maybe not rushing to cater specifically to it. We did get Carol and have Kamala coming, so they're not completely ignoring it; it just feels like they are used the most recognisable version of Jessica.

Yeah, There was a lot about that era I didn't like, but personally I found the Spider-Woman series one of the highlights.

3 hours ago, Abyss said:

Also, I'm sure I'm not the only one who didn't associate her Ally card's power with her pheromones. I just took it as more of a 'distract the enemy' ability which should 100% be in the wheelhouse for any Spider character (I find it really, really weird that SPIDER-MAN is one of the worst heroes at dealing with threat and doesn't have anything representing his quips...a card to Confuse the enemy would have made sense, though I guess there's limits on space).

Yeah I don’t know how I feel about his being bad at Thwarting... but I do like everything they did do with him.

Web-shooters are one of my favorite cards in the game. The versatility of how he can use them is functionally great, and flavorfully accurate. And his two most expensive Hero Ability cards are both directly web-related, so there’s a really cool feeling of cohesion when you manage to pay for Webbed Up or Swinging Web Kick with web-shooters. (Also Tenacity has Art with Spidey using his web-shooters, and their wild resource is often the easiest way for him to pay to use Tenacity.) It’s also great when Peter builds his tech with Scientist.

I guess the one thing would be that he could have had a lower Defense and higher Thwart, since his defense is more about dodging? But the fact that he can defend so well for others is neat, and seems like something he’d value over direct thwarting. (Dang, I’m actually starting to convince myself that I want to try Protection Spidey, whoops).

1 hour ago, SpiderMana said:

Yeah I don’t know how I feel about his being bad at Thwarting... but I do like everything they did do with him.

Web-shooters are one of my favorite cards in the game. The versatility of how he can use them is functionally great, and flavorfully accurate. And his two most expensive Hero Ability cards are both directly web-related, so there’s a really cool feeling of cohesion when you manage to pay for Webbed Up or Swinging Web Kick with web-shooters. (Also Tenacity has Art with Spidey using his web-shooters, and their wild resource is often the easiest way for him to pay to use Tenacity.) It’s also great when Peter builds his tech with Scientist.

I guess the one thing would be that he could have had a lower Defense and higher Thwart, since his defense is more about dodging? But the fact that he can defend so well for others is neat, and seems like something he’d value over direct thwarting. (Dang, I’m actually starting to convince myself that I want to try Protection Spidey, whoops).

I think his low Thwart represents his more reactionary nature - he’s not generally a serious planner - a lot of his stories start with him happening on something while on patrol and then dealing with the fall out. Compared to someone like Iron Man, who is a planner and gets data from multiple situations from his helmet systems.

The one bit of Spider-Man’s kit that doesn’t make quite as much sense to me is Black Cat’s no consequence attack. I guess it represents her surprising people, but to me, she’s a cat burglar, not a fighter, so it would probably make more sense if she could continue to thwart with no downside rather than attack...