PhantomFO

"MACLUNKEY!" etiquette

For those not aware...

https://techcrunch.com/2019/11/12/maclunkey-the-han-greedo-scene-has-an-inexplicable-change-on-disney-because-george-lucas-will-never-stop-changing-it/

The most important question here is: how are we going to incorporate this new bit of canon into the game?

Personally, I will now declare "MACLUNKEY!" every time I'm about to roll green dice in a joust, where a missed evade will result in my destruction before I can attack.

How will you Maclunkey?

Edited by PhantomFO

26 minutes ago, kris40k said:

It's clearly for when you and an opponent are engaging at the same Initiative, their attack destroys your ship, and you wiff on your attack back.

winner? but then we're saying that Greedo is initiative 6, so now I just feel worse about everything. 

12 minutes ago, Cloaker said:

winner? but then we're saying that Greedo is initiative 6, so now I just feel worse about everything. 

Han is init 6 in space, not necessarily on the ground. In fact you could argue he's around a 3-4 on the ground as we only see him shooting first at stormtroopers and Vader, And everyone knows Vader doesn't do anything quickly.

57 minutes ago, Faerie1979 said:

Why is a character who only appears for a couple minutes in one of the movies, and dies pretty much immediately, such a beloved character?! And why does Mr Lucas insist on constantly changing that scene?!

I think it's a tradition now. A couple years from now, Greedo will have blue skin colour and a gangster tattoo.

27 minutes ago, Faerie1979 said:

Why is a character who only appears for a couple minutes in one of the movies, and dies pretty much immediately, such a beloved character?! And why does Mr Lucas insist on constantly changing that scene?!

I can't really answer the first question, maybe it has something to do with the implied history between Greedo and Han and it was an interesting alien design and language. I've never been really attached to Greedo, personally.

To the second question, in an interview around the time of the first re-work, Lucas explained he apparently was not happy with how the scene depicted Han as "a cold-blooded killer", and he was having issues with the idea that someone like that could be redeemed (which has a personal aside, conflicts with the entire climax of the first six movies with Darth "youngling-killer" Vader's redemption at the end of Return of the Jedi. So, he tweaked it so that Greedo shot first.

One of the problems with the re-cut, was that it made Greedo seem an incompetent bounty-hunter, instead of a feared one, as he missed Han from the other side of a small table. So, it got re-worked again. Now, it shows that Greedo was close to hitting Han, but CGI Han jerks his head to the side so that Greedo misses the shot. Personally, I think it looks unnatural and is just a mess.

As far as the "Maclunky!" cut, I can only guess, but I think Lucas felt the need to give Greedo the last word before being shot by Han, so as to make it even more clear that Greedo had a chance to walk away from it, but chose otherwise, therefore making it even more clearer for those in the back row, that Han was very much not a bad guy.  

Personally, I feel the original 1977 theatrical cut was fine. When a hired killer is kidnapping you to take you to a gangster to be killed, its not cold-blooded murder, its self-defense. Han was fine, and the scene was better in the original.

Except at the start of the movie Han is kind of a bad guy. And he had just been told by Greedo that he was going to be killed, so shooting first made perfect sense. Especially since Han would know this is a bounty hunter for Jabba the Hut. The original scene established that Han can be ruthless, true. But the rest of the movie shows that while he's a criminal, he's not a bad person. If he was only doing stuff for the money, he wouldn't have returned to help against the Death Star. Or stuck around to join the Rebellion.

6 minutes ago, Faerie1979 said:

Except at the start of the movie Han is kind of a bad guy.

Yeah, and that is what makes the whole thing silly. Lucas wasn't happy with and/or changed his mind about how he wanted the character to appear, or as he stated in an interview, he didn't have time/money to re-shoot and re-cut things at the time the original movie was made, but years later when he had the money and technology to, he "fixed" it.

...and he just won't stop "fixing" it...

Edited by kris40k

I didn't entirely mind the change to the scene when the Special Edition was first released. Other changes were kind of neat, but the change to that scene in the Cantina wasn't particularly egregious. What bothers me most about it is that he keeps changing the scene with each rerelease, and got rid of the original unedited version.