SuperWookie

Hiding from the Force

Greetings. I am new to the FFG version of the RPG for Star Wars. Is there any way to hide yourself from the Force in this version? None of the powers, below, seemed like there were what I had in mind.

Ebb/Flow
Protect/Unleash
Influence
Heal/Harm
Enhance
Battle Meditation
Bind
Foresee

EDIT: I found one named Sense, but that doesn't look like it detects Force either.

Edited by SuperWookie

Like emsquared said, the main way in the game to "hide from the Force" is to use the Shroud talent, which generally prevents your usage of the Force from not being detected by other Force users.  Exactly what it hides and how long it lasts are up to the GM, but the general rule of thumb that I've seen (not yet encountered the talent in any games I've played or run) is that it doesn't hide blatantly obvious/vulgar Force usage (such as most uses of Move as well as the Unleash power).

Thing is, there's not really any actual rules on detecting a Force-sensitive via the Force.  It's all rather nebulous, and far as I know there's not been any official dev answer, so the floor's wide open for using all sorts of powers or methods to detect if a person is a Force user or for a Force user to avoid detection.  Closest thing we have to official rules is the Mephite crystal from the corebook, which says that any Force user using the Sense power automatically detects the presence of the crystal, with no rules or means provided for how to hide that presence (likely as an offset for how generally beefy that crystal is).

A house rule I've used on occasion is that you can use the Sense power to detect the presence of other Force-sensitives, spending a Force point as per the "detect all living things," and that for that FP the user of Sense merely knows the presence of other Force-sensitives, but doesn't know their location  A Force user can try to hide from this, making an opposed Discipline check vs. the Vigilance of the Sense user.  It's only come up a few times, but it's worked well enough when the situation arose.

On 11/12/2019 at 3:35 PM, Donovan Morningfire said:

Like emsquared said, the main way in the game to "hide from the Force" is to use the Shroud talent, which generally prevents your usage of the Force from not being detected by other Force users.  Exactly what it hides and how long it lasts are up to the GM, but the general rule of thumb that I've seen (not yet encountered the talent in any games I've played or run) is that it doesn't hide blatantly obvious/vulgar Force usage (such as most uses of Move as well as the Unleash power).

Thing is, there's not really any actual rules on detecting a Force-sensitive via the Force.  It's all rather nebulous, and far as I know there's not been any official dev answer, so the floor's wide open for using all sorts of powers or methods to detect if a person is a Force user or for a Force user to avoid detection.  Closest thing we have to official rules is the Mephite crystal from the corebook, which says that any Force user using the Sense power automatically detects the presence of the crystal, with no rules or means provided for how to hide that presence (likely as an offset for how generally beefy that crystal is).

A house rule I've used on occasion is that you can use the Sense power to detect the presence of other Force-sensitives, spending a Force point as per the "detect all living things," and that for that FP the user of Sense merely knows the presence of other Force-sensitives, but doesn't know their location  A Force user can try to hide from this, making an opposed Discipline check vs. the Vigilance of the Sense user.  It's only come up a few times, but it's worked well enough when the situation arose.

I've played it exactly the same way as "your" house rule