Sign in to follow this  
smythe

encumbrance of money ????

So, I read through the entire main rulebook and skimmed though the Tome of Adventure.  I also searched these forums with no luck.  Does anyone have a reasonable guess as to how much gold/silver/brass = 1 encumbrance?

I would normally not ever care.  I just happen to have one player who tries to strap as much equipment on his body as he can.  Even when we all mock him.  I have to argue that it isn't really feasable to have six flintlock pistols strapped to his chest a la Il Duce from Boondock Saints.  This has occurred consistently in WFRP 2nd Ed.  I tire of the arguing.  So, now when I start off 3rd Edition, I want to go ahead and scrupulously adhere to the encumbrance rules.

Thanks

-smythe

i think it is 1 encumbrance for every ten loose incidental items. if they are stored securely like gems in a pouch then 20 incidental items equal one. encumbrance does not equal weight exactly. it also tries to account for ease of carrying so i would guess maybe 50 large coins or 50-100 small coins equal one.

Definitly make sure there are a few agility based checks for this character, along with some open flames that he has to pass.

Weapons strapped to his body, & loaded guns do not exactly make your life easy.

Besides, if he runs around with loaded weapons, and expects to use em directly during combat without loading, then I'd give him misfortune dice as well on any shot... The powder may have gotten out, the ball is no longer a snug fit in the barrel, etc etc...

Also a word of warning: encumbrance of money can be easily compensated for by trading said money for gems in any sufficiently large town.

Kryyst said:

If your characters have so much money that it's encumbring them you aren't punishing them enough.

Hah.  Indeed.  Actually, I don't think I will have any problems loading them down with as many brass pennies as they can carry.  Everyone takes as a new interest in the PCs as they trudge through town, laden with jingling sacks.

But I digress...

Thanks for your suggestions, folks.  Just wanted to make sure that I wasn't overlooking something in the published rules.

-smythe

P.S.  @Nisses .... it was the unending rain which wore him down.

Nisses said:

Definitly make sure there are a few agility based checks for this character, along with some open flames that he has to pass.

Weapons strapped to his body, & loaded guns do not exactly make your life easy.

Or you could just let him. If he does it for style reasons rather than out of powergaming, he deserves some leniency in my book.

mcv said:

Or you could just let him. If he does it for style reasons rather than out of powergaming, he deserves some leniency in my book.

Nope.  Not even a little bit of style is involved.  He also tries to maintain that he can have a duckfoot pistol, two blunderbusses, and a rifle strapped to him along with a backpack and numerous sacks.  And armor.  And by armor, I mean plate mail.  He does not understand why I will not allow all of that at once since there is no rule to forbid it (I eschewed encumbrance rules as being tedious, relying on the players' common sense).

He is a really good guy, but the 'R' in RPG is a mystery to him.  He thinks the rest of the players don't care about their characters because they are acting 'in character' and doing possibly foolish things.  He's out to 'win', even when repeatedly told that 'winning' is nebulous and that awesome character deaths can make the game fun.  He is, to be succinct, a trial to me (as a GM).  Like I said, good friend, so I'm willing to work with his foibles, I just want to limit the powergaming and arguing from the outset.

smythe said:

Nope.  Not even a little bit of style is involved.  He also tries to maintain that he can have a duckfoot pistol, two blunderbusses, and a rifle strapped to him along with a backpack and numerous sacks.  And armor.  And by armor, I mean plate mail. 

To head off the cries of me being too generous as a GM, this has been a two year campaign, so the players are all into their fourth (and some into their fifth) careers.  Not surprisinly, the guy in question is the only one who has not suffered a character death or retirement.

personally i wouldn't worry about encumberance for money.

just stick to the encumberance rules as written.

that should limit his ability to carry silly amounts of weapons and you have the luxury of pointing to the rules to head off his arguements.

if he wants to carry a pistol, 2 blunderbi and a rifle he is already looking at 15 encumberance, add in ammunition, a melee weapon, armour then he will be encumbered.

furthermore if he wants to swap from one weapon to the next he will incure loads of fatigue, 1 manoeuvre to set down a gun, 1 manoeuvre to draw the next, 1 to load it. i'd also stipulate that if he has 3 long guns strapped across his back he must specify the order they are on so he must fire them in order or use additional manoeuvres...

1 manoeuvre to set down a gun, 1 manoeuvre to draw the next unwanted gun and set it down, 1 manoeuvre to draw the desired weapon, 1 more to load it.