Varlie

Mandalorian - Spoilers inside, don't read until watched

As nothing is more boring than the silent, unbeatable hero that's the best at everything, the Blurrg riding scenes and Mandy getting his behind kicked by jawas were very necessary to shave off some the excess cool. Makes him a much better character.

I liked the score despite, or even because, it was so different. It could've gone even further off the beaten track in my opinion.

Kinda disappointed that they didn't go with the obvious choice;) 

He remembers all his life
Raining down like blaster fire
Shadows of a man
A face through a visor
They never realized
Whose ship the were stealing

Oh Mandy
You came and you stopped them from taking
When you blew them away
Oh Mandy
You reloaded and gave without shaking
Until they ran away
Oh Mandy

9/10, will watch again.

Edited by penpenpen

On 11/12/2019 at 11:22 PM, DanteRotterdam said:

Why did he “need the Blurgg to get there”?

Maybe that's why old dude thought he was dead?  It took so long to get back.  Like crossing miles of desert without a vehicle, most normal people don't make it.

I'm chalking up his rifle as disruptor rifle with individual power packs.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I think this is actually the first time we've seen a disruptor blaster ever fired on screen.

Edited by Ahrimon

3 hours ago, penpenpen said:

As nothing is more boring than the silent, unbeatable hero that's the best at everything, the Blurrg riding scenes and Mandy getting his behind kicked by jawas were very necessary to shave off some the excess cool. Makes him a much better character.

I liked the score despite, or even because, it was so different. It could've gone even further off the beaten track in my opinion.

Kinda disappointed that they didn't go with the obvious choice;) 

Too late, Refn already called dibs on that song: 

Episode 2 went so far on Adventure!™ it tested my sensibilities but the more I accept that this is a 45-to-60-year television throwback — which you just don't see these days with hurried scene pacing and total exposition — the more I get it.

46 minutes ago, ExpandingUniverse said:

Some people have no sense of humour.... once again I'm out of here

Plot: verb - devise the sequence of events in (a play, novel, film, or similar work).

F you all again

All? If it's just the one guy, User > Account Settings > Ignored Users. Relief!

Tracking fob: Page 52 No Disintegration, the Tracking System attachment....

The fob is a gadget with that mechanical effect, with a predesignated target already designate by the guild... and it's a one-target use only version, cheap, disposable, non-reusable.

The target is designated through various means, for instance the guild's surveillance systems, as well as those of law enforcement, Empire, and anyone with a security and surveillance systems of some quality.

I guess my interpretation of that attachment's mechanical and narrative function is a liberal, but it basically states line of sight plus manoeuvre, and bam: I can track you somewhat better. Just like in the series.

:ph34r:

59 minutes ago, Eoen said:

Wow I wonder if the show creators pulled that from the game?

Jon Favreau is a giant nerd, and Filoni probably knows about the RPGs, so who knows. Or maybe FFG got it from their idea, or some suggestion from LFL. Either way, it's super cool to see stuff from the books end up in the show.

1 hour ago, Jegergryte said:

Tracking fob: Page 52 No Disintegration, the Tracking System attachment....

The fob is a gadget with that mechanical effect, with a predesignated target already designate by the guild... and it's a one-target use only version, cheap, disposable, non-reusable.

The target is designated through various means, for instance the guild's surveillance systems, as well as those of law enforcement, Empire, and anyone with a security and surveillance systems of some quality.

I guess my interpretation of that attachment's mechanical and narrative function is a liberal, but it basically states line of sight plus manoeuvre, and bam: I can track you somewhat better. Just like in the series.

It's a bit of a stretch, as the description says line-of-sight or surveillance tagger, but it is a decent explanation. The main question being: "what about un-tagged people? Or people who haven't been seen since they would have needed to be noted?"

It's probably as good an explanation as we're gonna get until some sort of visual dictionary comes out.

The description states line of sight to designate target, not to track. Similarly, the tagger can be used to designate a target without line of sight, but it is not - as I read it - an explicit requirement to place a tagger - which does much more than upgrade tracking - or maintain line of sight.

But yeah, its a liberal reading of it, but completely within the description - and not trying to be a difficult GM. :ph34r:

On 11/15/2019 at 1:52 PM, Varlie said:

Some kind of disrupter slug thrower

Probably going to have to ban in my game...can't have sploding jawas all over the place

Clearly a two-function weapon; akin to a blaster rifle with an under-attachment.... in this case, I’m not sure if the pulse rifle is the base weapon with an barreled attachment, or if the barreled weapon has the pulse rifle attachment.

I’ve been thinking maybe the barreled weapon was a micro rocket *rifle* with Armor Piercing micro rockets?   One of those would bypass any Soak, not have “blast” effect (so it would only deal damage to one target), and deal at least 10 or so damage MINIMUM,  not to mention a crit rating and multiple successes from skill level, reduced range penalty from the scope, etc.  Blowing someone into small bits (the Trando didn’t appear to leave clothing behind like the Jawas) might narratively be described as “disentegration”.

That said, at quick glance I know there’s armor attachment micro rocket launchers (short range)... and a pistol (medium range I believe).   But I haven’t found a rifle.  Admittedly, I haven’t looked real hard yet or used that fan “index” webpage that lists every item in the game.  But it would seem to be logical to exist (kinda like gyro rocket weapons in other older RPGs).

Edited by Khyrith

Chapter 2 made me love AND hate Jawas even more.  They are so cool and devious and disgusting awesome.  I still can't decide if I like them or not, but we need more Jawa.  The egg scene was kinda gross but just showed you how weirdly they value (or don't value) things.  They will trade all the parts to a guy that just blasted and killed about half a dozen of them, just for a taste of some weird egg yolk.  A Jawa character would have some interesting motivations.

Really laughed at the montage.  I like how old school this show is.  I feel like I could have watched this same show when I was a kid (with much worse special effects).  Fun story telling.

I have no idea what he's going to do next, which is fun.  How does this all link up with the Heavy Gunner chick (Cara Dune?) and the village?  No idea.

Oh, and I LOVED that no one (Kuill or the Mandalorian) had any idea what the yodaling did with the force.  Neither seemed to have the experience to mentally categorize what even happened.  Shows that even in the world of Star Wars, the force is pretty rare.

I keep waiting for the yaddlebub to talk...

@Mandelore of the Rings  I’m pretty sure the Jawas thought the mudhorn was going to kill the Mandalorian, and if not they get a tasty treat, it’s a win win in their books. 

I also loved how they told him he spoke Jawa like a Wookiee.

The sandcrawler was awesome, and I like how we are seeing them off Tantooine.

Edited by Eoen

15 hours ago, whafrog said:

But we still don't know what they look like under those hoods...

We know they live on other planets now, they’re ruthless scavengers, and they like eggs. Also they can tell what Beskar is just by looking at it. I wonder if they just melt most metal they find down and trade it for supplies. These ones had redder eyes.  

Edited by Eoen

6 hours ago, Khyrith said:

Clearly a two-function weapon; akin to a blaster rifle with an under-attachment.... in this case, I’m not sure if the pulse rifle is the base weapon with an barreled attachment, or if the barreled weapon has the pulse rifle attachment.

I’ve been thinking maybe the barreled weapon was a micro rocket *rifle* with Armor Piercing micro rockets?   One of those would bypass any Soak, not have “blast” effect (so it would only deal damage to one target), and deal at least 10 or so damage MINIMUM,  not to mention a crit rating and multiple successes from skill level, reduced range penalty from the scope, etc.  Blowing someone into small bits (the Trando didn’t appear to leave clothing behind like the Jawas) might narratively be described as “disentegration”.

That said, at quick glance I know there’s armor attachment micro rocket launchers (short range)... and a pistol (medium range I believe).   But I haven’t found a rifle.  Admittedly, I haven’t looked real hard yet or used that fan “index” webpage that lists every item in the game.  But it would seem to be logical to exist (kinda like gyro rocket weapons in other older RPGs).

I think he has a regular Disruptor Rifle (which we have never actually seen canonically, and which the GM found unbalanced and nerfed it by adding "Limited Ammo:1" to the statblock) with some kind of custom bayonet attachement.

I mean, we have not actually seen him use it as a regular blaster, right?

Kuill thought the desert was impossible to pass without a bluurg because he couldn't make those jumps (flashback to gimli).

Baby Yoda is ridiculously cute. If it does speak at some point, I hope it doesn't speak backwards and we find out that Yoda just had a speech impediment. Would put an entirely new spin on the movies.

10 hours ago, Eoen said:

We know they live on other planets now, they’re ruthless scavengers, and they like eggs. Also they can tell what Beskar is just by looking at it. I wonder if they just met most metal they find done an trade it for supplies. These ones had redder eyes.  

And they can scrap a spaceship faster than a Nascar pit crew

52 minutes ago, Rosco74 said:

I am more astonished by the 2 rebuilding the ship in a night... it can be a 40 hours night we don't know this planet well ;)

Watching the scene again, I don't think it was just one night. (It might have been, I don't know) we never actually see the sky, so it could have been a project over the course of several days.

That said, it could be that it was pretty easy to reassemble because they just had to put stuff back where it belonged rather than normal repairs where you've got to cut stuff to fit etc. etc.

There is enough ambiguity for me to suspend disbelief on that one.

On 11/16/2019 at 7:43 AM, Xcapobl said:

About ten years ago I particpated in a sit-and-join RPG game on a local convention. It was a Star Wars D20 game, set a couple of years after the events of Return of the Jedi. The DM had us find a sort of stasis pod, and it turned out to be a clone made from genetic material which they had found in the remnants of the Jedi Temple on Coruscant. You can probably guess whose clone that was...

😋

I had similar thoughts, but they were on the lines of if he's a clone, when were the clones from Clone Wars created. We looked it up later, Sifo-Dyas went to Kamino in 42 BBY, and clone army started production in 41 BBY, 50 years before The Mandalorian starts.

On the episodes generally (watched them back to back tonight for the first time), seemed more fan service in the first, better direction in the second. Probably because Dave Filoni is more fan than director!