Jump to content
Varlie

Mandalorian - Spoilers inside, don't read until watched

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Edgehawk said:

Clone Wars season 7 comes to Disney plus 2.17.20!

Nice!  Are they going to release the whole season or just one at a time again like Mandalorian?  We still have a number of CW we haven't watched... being going thru them according to some online lists of which were the best episodes (since many of them are (not sure why?) not chronological anyway.  There are some great CWs to watch.  More of the feel of SW:R in my opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mandalore of the Rings said:

Nice!  Are they going to release the whole season or just one at a time again like Mandalorian?  We still have a number of CW we haven't watched... being going thru them according to some online lists of which were the best episodes (since many of them are (not sure why?) not chronological anyway.  There are some great CWs to watch.  More of the feel of SW:R in my opinion. 

Not sure, but I believe I heard that they would not be released simultaneously.

As far as not chronological, a lot of them were prequels to other episodes, such as the one with Ima Gun-Di "Supply Lines" which was a prequel to the Ryloth arc, or "Clone Cadets" which was a prequel to "Rookies."

Here is a list of the chronological order: https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-the-clone-wars-chronological-episodeorder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's fun.  I never thought I'd like Clone Wars (after seeing the awful movie) but Rebels proved to be a gateway drug...

Now, maybe I should get into some comics while I wait for the next three years until another Star Wars movie...  I did read a bunch of the "legends" books when I was a kid but haven't read any new canon stuff yet.  I guess I get enough Star Wars from movies and TV and there are so many better books to read than pulpy SW ones...  but maybe I'm wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mandalore of the Rings said:

Now, maybe I should get into some comics while I wait for the next three years until another Star Wars movie...  I did read a bunch of the "legends" books when I was a kid but haven't read any new canon stuff yet.  I guess I get enough Star Wars from movies and TV and there are so many better books to read than pulpy SW ones...  but maybe I'm wrong.

The old Legends Clone Wars comics are fun. The ones that are collections of short stories are really pulpy, but I like them. The Clone Wars is by far my favorite era of Star Wars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, DanteRotterdam said:

Same here. And Season One proved to be a slog to get through as well. Fortunately it really picked up after that. 

And, Aksoka is super-annoying in season one, but she grows so much as a character, its hard not to be thrilled to see her whenever she makes an appearance in rebels. She may be one of the most developed characters in the franchise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mandalore of the Rings said:

Now, maybe I should get into some comics while I wait for the next three years until another Star Wars movie... 

Perfect timing. Right before TRoS was released, all of the ongoing series (set between ANH and ESB) came to a close, and on New Year's Day, the first issue of the new Star Wars ongoing hit stands, picking up after ESB. In the coming weeks, we'll see the launches of the third Darth Vader series, the second Doctor Aphra series, and a new Bounty Hunters ongoing, while the mini-series The Rise of Kylo Ren will continue until its conclusion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Vondy said:

And, Aksoka is super-annoying in season one, but she grows so much as a character, its hard not to be thrilled to see her whenever she makes an appearance in rebels. She may be one of the most developed characters in the franchise. 

My friends and I were just talking about this very thing at the game tonight. How annoying she was when introduced and how much of a fan favorite she became throughout the shows is really impressive. Also (kind of)mirrors Luke's whiney start to the character he became

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Daeglan said:

Probably because it is kind of the second half of season 6

So I take there not finishing the other scripted episodes? Dark Disciple and Son of Dathomir would have been sweet to see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Eoen said:

So I take there not finishing the other scripted episodes? Dark Disciple and Son of Dathomir would have been sweet to see.

Those haven’t been listed in the episode run. Given the full stories have been told, albeit in other media (novel and comics, respectively), it was probably decided not to produce them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

Those haven’t been listed in the episode run. Given the full stories have been told, albeit in other media (novel and comics, respectively), it was probably decided not to produce them.

An canon nerds let out a collective sigh of relief.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since this an RPG forum....

My players and I have an ongoing friendly debate about how exactly certain social skills / talents are role played and portrayed “on screen” and “in game”.   We’ve imported the Genesys social encounter rules to our SW game as well (e.g. targeting Strain threshold, what it means to get to half threshold, etc).

This week’s topic: which social skills / talents best describe what we see Moff Gideon doing outside the cantina?  Particularly with his word choice and environmental factors at play?

Option 1 (championed by our Presence / Negotiation PCs): it’s Negotiation skill.  He’s presenting his terms, and making it worth the PCs while to comply.

Option 2 (my opinion as GM): It’s Willpower / Coercion with perhaps some Scathing Tirade mixed in.  He’s threatening physical violence and isn’t really offering any other range of outcomes besides “comply or die”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Khyrith said:

Since this an RPG forum....

My players and I have an ongoing friendly debate about how exactly certain social skills / talents are role played and portrayed “on screen” and “in game”.   We’ve imported the Genesys social encounter rules to our SW game as well (e.g. targeting Strain threshold, what it means to get to half threshold, etc).

This week’s topic: which social skills / talents best describe what we see Moff Gideon doing outside the cantina?  Particularly with his word choice and environmental factors at play?

Option 1 (championed by our Presence / Negotiation PCs): it’s Negotiation skill.  He’s presenting his terms, and making it worth the PCs while to comply.

Option 2 (my opinion as GM): It’s Willpower / Coercion with perhaps some Scathing Tirade mixed in.  He’s threatening physical violence and isn’t really offering any other range of outcomes besides “comply or die”

I would say it is coercion. As the unsuccessful role resulted in a negative outcome.

Negotiation doesnt tend to result in a fight on a failure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Debates about canon vs. not canon always bring out the jack boots.

I look at canon the same way I do trash. One man treasures it while another throws it in the bind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Vondy said:

Debates about canon vs. not canon always bring out the jack boots.

I look at canon the same way I do trash. One man treasures it while another throws it in the bind.

Those books are actually a part of the official Disney canon, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Those books are actually a part of the official Disney canon, though.

Danger Will Robinson! Danger!

/rant on!

Sure, canon as dictated by a corporate marketing department. Its strictly lower case "canon" in every possible respect. Disney's execs aren't a vaunted group of scholars who have studied Star Wars to determine its essential corpus from a cultural (artistic, cinema, or literary) perspective. They are corporate wonks who want to sell you stuff!

Lucas himself pointedly underscored Lucas Arts use of the term "canon" was often synonymous with "officially licensed." He even went a step further and made a cultural statement about  Star Wars "canon." Namely, that the first, last, and definitive word are the films alone. He later added Clone Wars and Rebels to that because they came out of his studio with his input.

Everything else he licensed was understood to fall into successively "less reliable" apocryphal tiers. That included the radio show and novelizations, which he had a direct editorial hand in, followed by novels, comics, guides, roleplaying games, video games, and everything else. He made that distinction because he understood the difference between business and art.

I don't think Disney, who views Star Wars as a cash-cow franchise to milk as opposed to a labor or love and cultural work product, has put much thought into, or even cares about, that distinction. They did, however, give an implicit nod to it when they wiped the board clean. What stayed? Episodes I-VI, The Clone Wars, and Rebels. The"less reliable" stuff went away.

I understand why Disney decided to clear the slate from a "work-bench" perspective. You need an orderly work space. That's totally fine. But the word "canon" does not belong in most of these discussions.. There's media Disney produces, media it licenses, and media it doesn't. Full stop.

So let's ask the key question: What happens if a licensed novel or comic or game contradicts the movies or televisions shows Disney produces? What happens if the director and screenwriter for their next $275 million dollar feature film decide to ignore those licensed products? Are the executives going to shut them down and tell them "that contradicts canon!"

H--- no! They are going to de-canonize that work and empty their bladders onto that writer's shoes without so much as a "by your leave." Why? Because, at its heart, the first, last, and definitive word on Star Wars will always be the films and shows produced directly by Lucas Arts and Disney's studios. All else is merely "officially licensed." 

A corporate intellectual property diktat lumping licensed products in to boost sales does not a meaningful academic definition of canon make and has no bearing on Star Wars as the cultural work product of the studios making the shows and movies. So far that's Episodes I-IX, The Clone Wars, Rebels, and the Mandalorian. 

Everything else? Straight up apocrypha! Each fan will have to decide for themselves whether its treasure or trash. 

For me, a lot of its trash.

/rant off!

Phew! ;) 

 

Edited by Vondy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...