Varlie

Mandalorian - Spoilers inside, don't read until watched

I really have a gripe with how the Mando handled the Kid and the Mark (can't remember character names at the moment so stand ins). With most vehicles, even in Star Wars, if you remove a key part, the vehicle will no longer operate. We've seen it with with starships a couple times in canon, and there isn't really a reason why he couldn't disable the speeder and send the Kid with that part to get the dewback while waiting with the Mark. It's really not that huge a deal, just a minor and annoying mistake on the Mando's part to ensure he gets paid. (Also high key would have loved seeing him live up to his threat of dragging the Mark but eh)

Other than that, it was a nice filler episode with some nice expansions on the background and life of Tatooine.

8 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

One thing I found quite funny is that every single EotE campaign makes it to Tatooine at some point. (Something I have pledged not to do unless they really have to do something with Jabba)

I decided to START our game on Tattooine to emphatically  underscore the fact that our campaign is decidedly AU. Ergo, "things are going to be different." Two of our Jedi survivors were seeking out Obi-Wan eight years after Order 66 and found his hermitage only to discover he was no longer there. Instead, they found a force-infused holo-disc embedded in the wall with a recorded message saying "It is no longer safe here. The Empire is closing in and we must move on. Do not lose hope and keep searching. The Force will bring us together." They did find him a short time later only to discover that the "we" was Obi-Wan, Padme Amidala, Sabe, and the eight years old Luke and Leia. They also discovered that Padme was a key adviser to and go-between for Bail Organa and his nascent resistance... which they have since been drawn into. Prior to that they made their living running cargoes out of Nar Shadda and had a working-relationship with Kaltho the Hutt.  I don't foresee needing Jabba or going back to Tattooine, but it was nice to kick it all off in an iconic locale.

Just finished watching Episode 5.

It was solid filler episode and, as a fan of Spaghetti Westerns, I enjoyed that part of it a lot. Filler episodes are good when used appropriately because they serve as a down-beat and let you shift gears.  I didn't mind seeing Tattooine again as its the ideal backdrop for an Old West adventure. I will say, however, that they were doing a full-court press with the fan-service call-outs (I'm looking at you Dave Filoni!). Not so much that I groaned or raised an eyebrow, but considering how short these episodes are, I feel like that cut into room for dialog or a short scene that could have been used to drive character or plot, or to add something new. Even so, it worked well for what it was and the last scene before cutting to credits was clearly a set up for future content of some sort. I do like Baby Yoda, but I'm glad he didn't play a bigger role in this episode because the plot and dynamics were clearly set up for the Mando, Corellian, and the Assassin. They would have really had to force the issue to work The Incarnation of All That Is Good and Wholesome In Star Wars into this episode more and that would have probably felt contrived. Still, overall, I liked it. 

9 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

plus, how often is a useless dustball actually going to come up?

It may be out-of-the-way when one considers the entire galaxy; but in its own little corner, it lies at the junction of two not-insignificant trade routes (including the one which connects Hutt Space to the Corellian Run). 

Yeah, looked like the original cantina to me too.  I reckon the young correllian wannabe was even sitting where Han was sitting when he blasted Greedo first. 

Was that the same R2 unit with a bad motivator?    Beggars canyon?  Do you think the wamp rats would eat his body...  yeah, borderline too much fan service... It was OK, but I want to see NEW locations.  I'm fine with it if they don't spend more time there. 

The swoops were definitely very cool.  Yeah, probably the Moff coming to see what happened to his assassin. 

I'd like to see more repeat characters.  It feels a bit thin with just Mando and yoyo....  let's develop the characters a bit more...

Really enjoyed it though.

9 hours ago, Mandelore of the Rings said:

Yeah, looked like the original cantina to me too.  I reckon the young correllian wannabe was even sitting where Han was sitting when he blasted Greedo first. 

Was that the same R2 unit with a bad motivator?    Beggars canyon?  Do you think the wamp rats would eat his body...  yeah, borderline too much fan service... It was OK, but I want to see NEW locations.  I'm fine with it if they don't spend more time there. 

The swoops were definitely very cool.  Yeah, probably the Moff coming to see what happened to his assassin. 

I'd like to see more repeat characters.  It feels a bit thin with just Mando and yoyo....  let's develop the characters a bit more...

Really enjoyed it though.

Every planet in the show has been new before now. So we have gotten nothing but new locations in this show till now. So your complaint seems weird. 

On 12/5/2019 at 2:10 PM, penpenpen said:

Although, Mandy's absolute refusal to use his ship as planetary transport, or for air support, is starting to be a bit odd.

It's a genre challenge: the ship is analogous to a horse or a wagon or other plot device transporting the protagonist to an event, but then it's also an airborne platform resistant to small arms. (Plus, looking back to last episode, I'm not even sure an AT-ST has the effective field of fire!)

To my credit, since I'm not the most hard-nosed guy around, I figured out early in my game that potentially hostile ground encounters outside of civilization could be solved, Wash-style, without preventive measures. I once slipped up when I presented an NPC shootout on an uncharted planet, and without guidance that one of the groups was decent, one player was like, "Why don't we blast them and take their ships?" Sure, jacking isn't easy, but thankfully other players more in tune with party morality and the social contract suggested something more judicious.

10 hours ago, DanteRotterdam said:

Filloni really disappointed again. I have to say that the episodes he directed both were my least favorite, by far. 

Episode 1 too? That's the first time I've seen that opinion voiced. Most disappointment I've seen has been with the last two (ep 4 & 5), which I only agree with to the point as them being weaker than the first three connected episodes, on account of being stand-alones.

On 12/7/2019 at 1:18 AM, GameboyAK said:

I really have a gripe with how the Mando handled the Kid and the Mark (can't remember character names at the moment so stand ins). With most vehicles, even in Star Wars, if you remove a key part, the vehicle will no longer operate. We've seen it with with starships a couple times in canon, and there isn't really a reason why he couldn't disable the speeder and send the Kid with that part to get the dewback while waiting with the Mark. It's really not that huge a deal, just a minor and annoying mistake on the Mando's part to ensure he gets paid. (Also high key would have loved seeing him live up to his threat of dragging the Mark but eh)

I have no issue with that. The kid basically asks him "why should I trust you?", and Mandy basically decides to show the kid some trust, which had arguably been earned at that point. Turns out the rookie was more of bastard than expected, but up to that point, he had pretty much put up with Mandy pushing him around. Only fair that Mandy would give him a break at that point.

Also, it's fun to note that while Gina Carano probably is a certified baddonkey (**** this swearfilter), Ming-Na Wen is better at playing one.

Acting! :D

1 hour ago, penpenpen said:

Episode 1 too? That's the first time I've seen that opinion voiced.

Well... I guess I can only speak for myself of course but I just felt ep1 was an episode comprised of one illogical plot point after another, I thought that as an introduction it was fine but as an actual episode it failed.  
I had the same feeling with this last episode. It did nothing to push the story along it was full of illogical actions from the Mandalorian’s side (leaving the mark alone in the ship that is worked on, really?), the mechanic felt completely out of place and the fan service was just too much with that kid sitting there with his feet up on the table. 
Filloni really is not up to this. At least I don’t think he is. 

By the way, I want to praise the show for something really different than what we usually praise it for. It takes it female characters really seriously and doesn’t sexualize them in anyway. 
I know it took a few episodes for women to show up at all but once they did they have been strong and interesting characters who are not just there as love interests or eye candy. 
That is not to say they are unattractive bit they are anything but stereotypical. Gina is a UFC fighter who could kick any man’s *** and Ming-Na Wen is one 56 year old (granted if you had told me that she was 36 I would have believed it as well) tough chick. 
My wife told me that it is a pleasant surprise. 

21 hours ago, Daeglan said:

Every planet in the show has been new before now. So we have gotten nothing but new locations in this show till now. So your complaint seems weird. 

Sure, it was a minor complaint, and I did say "I really enjoyed it"...  that being said, nothing weird with wanting MORE new locations, or even developing the ones they've already introduced.  Tatooine is a bit cashed.  Lots of movies, lots of cartoons, books...  so I'd rather see new locations.  Don't get me wrong, I love the show, I just would love it a bit more without so much mildly annoying fan service.  Is someone going to say "I have a bad feeling about this" in the next episode?  The Star Wars universe is supposedly HUGE so I think it's "weird" that there aren't more locations in the stories.  That's one thing I've really liked so far, that it feels new and different. It's fine though.  I like the show.

Really felt a bit disjointed too.  Standalone.   I'd like a little more continuity between episodes... and I have a feeling we'll get that for the last three!  I'd like to see some good old fashioned "TO BE CONTINUED"s at the end of 6 and 7...  Plus more Kuill, more Werner, more Pershing, more Forger lady, more Cara Dune etc...  Flesh it out a bit.

52 minutes ago, DanteRotterdam said:

As a whole I think that an 8 episode show is not long enough for stand alone episodes... 

I think that depends on if they're going to try and move to a coherent arc with the last couple episodes.

Then again, it does seem that Favreau is angling for "adventure of the week" like many of the older western TV series, especially the ones with the protagonist wandering into a town, resolving the issue plaguing that town, and then riding off as the credits roll.

It's really only in the past couple decades that we've had TV series that had a coherent narrative/plot that ran through the entire season, if not through multiple seasons.

1 hour ago, DanteRotterdam said:

I know it took a few episodes for women to show up at all but once they did they have been strong and interesting characters who are not just there as love interests or eye candy. 

Actually,  there was a woman in episodes 1 and 3 who was in probably one of the most important roles for a Mandalorian. I would think blacksmith ranks high in that culture and she certainly seemed well respected. 

Edited by Varlie

1 hour ago, Varlie said:

Actually,  there was a woman in episodes 1 and 3 who was in probably one of the most important roles for a Mandalorian. I would think blacksmith ranks high in that culture and she certainly seemed well respected. 

Totally true. I forgot about her!

For me, I liked each episode more than the last until we got to episode 5, and then it really dropped off for me. The Mandalorian and Baby Yoda, oddly enough, didn't seem to play all that important a role. It felt more like we were following the wannabe's story than the Mando's. Not a lot of character development either, unless it's that the Mandalorian decides not to be so trusting in the future (which, now that I think about it, might have been the point, sort of. He's learning to relax a little and be more trusting, but this sorta sets him back).
This was the first episode that I didn't rewatch within the next 24 hours. In fact, I still haven't rewatched it. Part of how I gauge my enjoyment is how eagerly I rewatch it, and for episode 4, I could hardly wait for it to get dark outside so there wouldn't be a glare on the screen.

Episode 4 had a couple issues, but it is definitely my favorite of the episodes so far. We got a lot more character development, and the acting was great.

37 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

For me, I liked each episode more than the last until we got to episode 5, and then it really dropped off for me. The Mandalorian and Baby Yoda, oddly enough, didn't seem to play all that important a role. It felt more like we were following the wannabe's story than the Mando's. Not a lot of character development either, unless it's that the Mandalorian decides not to be so trusting in the future (which, now that I think about it, might have been the point, sort of. He's learning to relax a little and be more trusting, but this sorta sets him back).
This was the first episode that I didn't rewatch within the next 24 hours. In fact, I still haven't rewatched it. Part of how I gauge my enjoyment is how eagerly I rewatch it, and for episode 4, I could hardly wait for it to get dark outside so there wouldn't be a glare on the screen.

Episode 4 had a couple issues, but it is definitely my favorite of the episodes so far. We got a lot more character development, and the acting was great.

Im sure this episode is a set up episode. Like the last episode. Last episode introduced Cara. This one gave us a hint of someone. 

8 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

Im sure this episode is a set up episode. Like the last episode. Last episode introduced Cara. This one gave us a hint of someone. 

Is it the Fett?