Varlie

Mandalorian - Spoilers inside, don't read until watched

He may just not want to risk his only ride getting KOed if he thinks he can handle it on foot. There may also be a collateral damage concern that kept him from using it in episode 4.

We notably see the Ghost performing many in-atmosphere ops, so that's not it.

The low-profile bit is an apt explanation.

All of that said, there is a very simple out-of-universe explanation: It's less interesting if your solution to every thing is an attack helicopter (unless you're Airwolf, and then every problem requires an attack helicopter).

18 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

He may just not want to risk his only ride getting KOed if he thinks he can handle it on foot. There may also be a collateral damage concern that kept him from using it in episode 4.

We notably see the Ghost performing many in-atmosphere ops, so that's not it.

The low-profile bit is an apt explanation.

All of that said, there is a very simple out-of-universe explanation: It's less interesting if your solution to every thing is an attack helicopter (unless you're Airwolf, and then every problem requires an attack helicopter).

Yeah, I've given it some more thought any you can get it to make sense. Not sure if the ship would be terribly useful against the AT-ST  considering how well it managed to hide in the forest.

Still, considering the incident with the Jawas, he's surprisingly cool with just leaving his ship standing around out of sight for a few weeks. Of course, there's the possibility he doesn't want to be too close to ship if they track it.

Anyways, it would be nice to see if the guns on it are just for show or not. ;)

2 hours ago, Eoen said:

I can’t believe you so casually dismiss the lives of those poor minions. Besides all they really needed to take down the AT-ST are two logs and some vines.

Ypu forgot the trees for the logs

5 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

On 12/4/2019 at 2:16 PM, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Really? Huh. Never struck me as the sort of fandom that would have that. (to be fair, my only exposure to it was a 6-year old who tried to explain Optimus Prime and Bumblebee to me)

And cannibal teddy bears. 

12 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

I just watched to Disney+ third edit of the OG trilogy, I've come to the conclusion that the Ewoks had been planning out that assault for quite some time, given the amount of prepared traps and ambush points.

5 hours ago, Eoen said:

I can’t believe you so casually dismiss the lives of those poor minions. Besides all they really needed to take down the AT-ST are two logs and some vines.

"There's not a thing on this planet that could damage its' legs."

I see what you did there, Mr Favreau!

Edited by penpenpen

17 hours ago, penpenpen said:

Yeah, I've given it some more thought any you can get it to make sense. Not sure if the ship would be terribly useful against the AT-ST  considering how well it managed to hide in the forest.

Still, considering the incident with the Jawas, he's surprisingly cool with just leaving his ship standing around out of sight for a few weeks. Of course, there's the possibility he doesn't want to be too close to ship if they track it.

Anyways, it would be nice to see if the guns on it are just for show or not. ;)

They seem to work just fine.

I enjoyed it, but it definitely is my least favorite of the episodes so far. The supporting cast wasn't as interesting, and Baby Yoda didn't do quite as much.

One thing I found quite funny is that every single EotE campaign makes it to Tatooine at some point. (Something I have pledged not to do unless they really have to do something with Jabba)

7 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Perhaps it wasn't Chalmun's cantina? Even if Tatooine keeps coming up, specific locations on Tatooine don't have to.

It looked like it to me, and I doubt they could resist that location.

I very much enjoyed the episode! I liked the somewhat slower pacing and some of the little neat world building bits, and Tatooine, of course!

I doubt that's the last we've seen of Fennec, as I think that person at the end is Moff Gideon, played by Giancarlo Esposito, and I think he's behind the bounty to get Baby Yoda.

I'm curious to see how all the supporting cast comes together in the end.

Edited by StarkJunior

55 minutes ago, Eoen said:

It looked like it to me, and I doubt they could resist that location.

Given they already brought the show to Tatooine*, it's very likely that the cantina was indeed Chalmun's, just either under new ownership or having the "no droids!" policy revoked due to that one bartender from ANH having been replaced.

*I guess it pretty much is a bylaw of the franchise that each trilogy/series has to go to Tatooine at least once at some point.  Thus far, the sequel trilogy has been the only one to avoid it, though it did have a stand-in by way of Jakku.

I love it. Personally, I love how much they've reinforced the spaghetti western nature of the show. From the shootout with the bounty hunters in Ep 3 (using the droid-driven speeder like a wagon) to helping training the village to fight the raiders in Ep 4 (ref: the Magnificent 7) and again riding off on the back of a wagon, and now this episode with mentoring the 'hot-shot' would-be bounty hunter/cowboy/gunslinger, the double cross, speed bikes as horses, the shootout, the misunderstood natives (sand people filling the niche of native Americans in westerns). Anyways, I'm sure it's all very obvious, but that's what's so fun about it for me. I'm sure you could find blueprint for this episode in a number of black and white westerns, like Rawhide etc. So good.

Also, I loved the physics of the speeder bikes in this episode. They look the most organic and 'grounded' of any speeder scene in Star Wars. They literally look like they are jumping dunes similar to a couple of dirt bikes. It really made me want to go ride one!!

1 hour ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

One thing I found quite funny is that every single EotE campaign makes it to Tatooine at some point. (Something I have pledged not to do unless they really have to do something with Jabba)

Well, the folks on this forum (myself included) might be a little closer to this SW stuff than the average viewer. So you may be a little more jaded about Tatooine than most. I doubt your average viewer can tell the difference between a Weequay, Nikto and Klatoonian as well as the folks here😁

Just now, VadersMarchKazoo said:

Well, the folks on this forum (myself included) might be a little closer to this SW stuff than the average viewer. So you may be a little more jaded about Tatooine than most. I doubt your average viewer can tell the difference between a Weequay, Nikto and Klatoonian as well as the folks here😁

I don't really have any issue with Tatooine, I just want to be a little bit more original. (plus, how often is a useless dustball actually going to come up?)

You have to remember that s much as Luke considered it the farthest point from the  bright center of the universe, that's just a kid's opinion of a planet he wanted to escape from. Tantooine is at the start (end?) of the Correlian Run.  Jabba ran his criminal organization from there and brought in smugglers, bounty hunters, and no telling who else to the planet.
Looking at Galaxy Maps, there are a lot of far more remote planets out there than Tantooine

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 2:27 AM, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Hooo... I could go on for a while on this subject 🙄... But I won't because it would be pointless.

Oh aye that's fair enough and to be honest, the passion behind the response is a fantastic thing. I feel that we as human beings have turned a blind eye to the frank manipulations that our governing men and media supporting those figures have committed for a long time, even if conversation on a forum accomplishes very little as you said. That's probably all that needs to be said about it here.

What I will say though is a lot of stories draw inspiration from events in history, spaghetti westerns as a setting is generally portrayed as an apocalypse of sorts following the American Civil War; a lot of the villians are portrayed as ex confederates who were driven out into the wasteland where their way of life was effectively extinct. Likewise the Clone Wars itself seems to be a portrayal of the American civil war in a lot of senses; so there's a lot of potential roleplay material of ex-separatist confederates picking a tent wherever the Empire can't get to them.

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 2:27 AM, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

I think that this might be largely on the Mandalorians' end. It may not be so much that people dislike them* but that they are trying to keep themselves separate from the outer cultures. Hence "enclave" and "covert" both suggesting a sort of sealing off, rather than shunning (though this is easily debatable and I can see both sides).

Christians talk about being "in the world, but not of the world," so the Mandalorians may be "not in the world or a part of it" choosing to keep themselves separate in order to preserve their culture's purity.

Ahhh that would make a degree of sense. Combined with going into hiding after the Empire kicked their door in and likely having bountys on them. I guess old habits do die hard, especially in peace time.

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 2:36 AM, Nytwyng said:

While we haven’t seen or heard this on the large or small screen (so far), the novels have established that Mon Mothma demilitarized the New Republic in pretty short order after the Battle of Jakku, not wanting to even give the impression that the new government might even consider using force to keep planets in line.

Aye, she wanted peace at all costs which is nice in principle and would have worked in practically every other situation, but for the empire. Personally my perception on the Empire is it is fundamentally an evil entity that needs to be torn out of the galaxy by the root, but considering I have the benefit of knowing that the New Republic bankrolled the first order? I'm probably a bit jaded on that front.

On the new episode; I liked it. It was a nice story that is pretty typical of the setting, just kinda funny that the corellian gunslinger ended up learning plenty as an individual but was still a fool in that he overestimated the value of his own hand and got himself killed. It's a fun thing.