Varlie

Mandalorian - Spoilers inside, don't read until watched

4 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Except for the whole... "technology" thing. Not many Amish riding around on Basilisks. 😜

Funny hats same clothes, insular community away from their homeland. No ones seen a Basilisk in ages. 

13 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Except for the whole... "technology" thing. Not many Amish riding around on Basilisks. 😜

Side note, the "technology" thing is a choice. All have been exposed to it when they hit young adult. The ones that come back to the community choose to leave it behind. Very interesting and deep culture.

Personally I'm in the minority, I really disliked the KotOR representation of the culture. I can get behind replenishing the ranks of a warrior culture with children captured after a battle (specifically that are genetically compatible), but watching your own species die out to be continued by whoever or whatever broke allot of belief suspension for me. 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, Jareth Valar said:

Side note, the "technology" thing is a choice. All have been exposed to it when they hit young adult. The ones that come back to the community choose to leave it behind. Very interesting and deep culture.

Personally I'm in the minority, I really disliked the KotOR representation of the culture. I can get behind replenishing the ranks of a warrior culture with children captured after a battle (specifically that are genetically compatible), but watching your own species die out to be continued by whoever or whatever broke allot of belief suspension for me. 🤷‍♂️

Well the human Mandalorians aren't the original ones, it was started by the Taungs. In legends they were part of the original inhabitants of Coruscant who were driven off-planet by human clans, they kept the fight going but were distinctly in minority. When it became clear they weren't going to win because their numbers were continuously depleted through war and attrition a Mandalore decided to start recruiting non-Taung into the culture, to make sure that the war against the usurpers of Coruscant could be waged even 20 000 years after they had lost the planet. It's a way for them to assimilate conquered people in the past and in the present it's probably just a cultural tradition that some people take more seriously than others.

Just now, Darth Revenant said:

Well the human Mandalorians aren't the original ones, it was started by the Taungs. In legends they were part of the original inhabitants of Coruscant who were driven off-planet by human clans, they kept the fight going but were distinctly in minority. When it became clear they weren't going to win because their numbers were continuously depleted through war and attrition a Mandalore decided to start recruiting non-Taung into the culture, to make sure that the war against the usurpers of Coruscant could be waged even 20 000 years after they had lost the planet. It's a way for them to assimilate conquered people in the past and in the present it's probably just a cultural tradition that some people take more seriously than others.

Yup. The ultimate self-genocidal middle finger to the universe. Not a fan. Not hated (I reserve that for another story/race), but not a fan.

53 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

I forgot. I have one huge, glaring issue with Traviss's Mandalorians: Their favorite sport is soccer. <_< SOCCER! If only she was American, then it would have been gridiron football and made soo much more sense. Instead of "Mesh'la Geroya" it would have been "Ramikad Geroya" "the commando game".

I mean, you've got full-body contact, small-team tactics, strategy, quick thinking, discipline and there is far less flopping. It would be great training and it makes so much more sense for Mandos. It really is a thinking game, and perfect for Mandalorians. They'd play it in full Mandalorian armor, It'd be great. Paz Visla would be a linebacker, the Mandalorian would probably be a wide receiver... Oh, it'd be awesome. Dang Brits... :(

Oh, well. At least it can be my head canon...

Why do Americans call it "football" anyway? It's not a ball, and you mostly use your hands.

13 minutes ago, Vondy said:

Only if everything you ever learned about the Amish was from the Sledge Hammer television series. 😉

Is that the with the Amish mobsters?

7 minutes ago, Darth Revenant said:

And the "Taungs" only ever existed because some later writer misinterpreted the art in the Tales Of The Jedi comics that featured ancient Mandalorians, and thought some of the more out there Mando helmets were actually some kind of alien.

Taungs, real or imagined, aren't part of canon anymore though.

4 minutes ago, Eoen said:

Is that the with the Amish mobsters?

Yes. The one where they were parodying the Harrison Ford movie Witness. At the end of the episode the father and daughter save Sledge by gunning down a bunch of bad-guys alongside him. When he asks them, "Hey, I didn't think you used guns!" the father, wearing shades, bandoleers of ammo, and holding two machine pistols shrugs and says "Eh, its the eighties!"

Edited by Vondy

28 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Because the ball is a foot long.

True, also it descends from Rugby football, which is now just called Rugby.

Edited by Eoen

So, I’m thinking that the reason Cara Dunne has got a bounty placed on herself is not because she possibly deserted her post but because she pissed off the wrong guy since going into the private sector.

Because let's face it, someone like Cara Dune is bound to have pissed off a lot of baddies.

She did say "early retirement" though, so there is a decent chance she's either been kicked out or deserted. My guess is that she isn't in hiding because she knows there is a bounty, but because she suspects that there might be, for the aforementioned reason of having POed a lot of bad guys.

Did she mention having a bounty on her head? I got the feeling she just wanted to disappear.

3 minutes ago, Voltron64 said:

So, I’m thinking that the reason Cara Dunne has got a bounty placed on herself is not because she possibly deserted her post but because she pissed off the wrong guy since going into the private sector.

The Empire didn't even place a bounty on Han Solo when he deserted.

1 minute ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

She did say "early retirement" though, so there is a decent chance she's either been kicked out or deserted. My guess is that she isn't in hiding because she knows there is a bounty, but because she suspects that there might be, for the aforementioned reason of having POed a lot of bad guys.

Did she mention having a bounty on her head? I got the feeling she just wanted to disappear.

She thought Mando was guild and that made her nervous enough to attack him.

Edited by Eoen

Just now, Eoen said:

She thought Mando was guild and that made her nervous enough to attack him.

Mmm. Still doesn't say for sure that she has a bounty on her head, but definitely plays into her concern that someone might come after her. Eh, I don't know. Probably doesn't matter. Cool character though, hope we see more of her.

14 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Mmm. Still doesn't say for sure that she has a bounty on her head, but definitely plays into her concern that someone might come after her. Eh, I don't know. Probably doesn't matter. Cool character though, hope we see more of her.

If not just the Mandalorian, but also Season 3 of Forces of Destiny. 😉

2 hours ago, Jareth Valar said:

Wait, were the Taung mentioned in KOTOR? I draw a firm line between KOTOR and Tales of the Jedi; KOTOR good, TotJ bad IMO. 

23 minutes ago, DaverWattra said:

Wait, were the Taung mentioned in KOTOR? I draw a firm line between KOTOR and Tales of the Jedi; KOTOR good, TotJ bad IMO. 

I think they were mentioned in the lore section of the KOTOR website.

17 minutes ago, Eoen said:

I think they were mentioned in the lore section of the KOTOR website.

I can find no reference to the species ever having been mentioned in stories. The very first mention of them was in the Shadows Of The Empire soundtrack CD booklet. I own the comics they supposedly first appeared in, and there's no reference to them being anything else than humans in armour in those books.