Varlie

Mandalorian - Spoilers inside, don't read until watched

8 minutes ago, DanteRotterdam said:

Oh ffs... can we just quit it with the whole iron/not iron stuff now?

There is a new episode out today! There’s plenty of things for you to argue about in that one. 

Nah, Tramp has started. Now there will be no end in sight. 10 months from now, after the show has ended and we're close to the premiere of season 2, he will still be arguing about the correct definition of Beskar using obscure wookieepedia links and snippets of lore from Traviss books.

8 minutes ago, Tramp Graphics said:

Yes, it is based upon Iron. Hence the designation Mandalorian Iron and the word translating to Iron.  At the very least it’s an ore with trace minerals or an isotope. Isotopes typically have different properties to the base form of an element. Also trace elements in an ore can also grant different properties to the refined metals made from them as well. As such, either source  could result in the unique properties that Beskar has over normal Iron. 

Spoken like a non metallurgist. The properties are WAAAYYY to different to be the element iron. 

9 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

Spoken like a non metallurgist. The properties are WAAAYYY to different to be the element iron. 

OK Metallurgist

Dazzle us with science, describe the properties of iron and steel and then compare and constrast them to what we see on screen, in canon and legends, and remember it's space opera it doesn't have to follow science.

7 minutes ago, Eoen said:

OK Metallurgist

Dazzle us with science, describe the properties of iron and steel and then compare and constrast them to what we see on screen, in canon and legends, and remember it's space opera it doesn't have to follow science.

The thing is, the "THIS IS IRON" side of the argument likes pretending the Star Wars universe mostly following our earth physics and chemistry. So comparing Beskar to real iron is a valid counter argument.

53 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Seriously, can we please, please stop.

"THIS BICKERING IS POINTLESS!"

Seconded with a suggestion for everyone in Full Pedantry Lock:

Create a Star Wars Science thread to talk about Beskar, Vacuum, etc.

Edited by Vondy

I love the subtle use of the passing of time. When they mention at the end how the "past few weeks" had been nice, it sets up the enemies to set up their next move, especially with that "surprise guest" towards the end.

Also, really curious about what the raiders were drinking to make it glow that neon blue.

Side note, that AT-ST is probably the most terrifying we've ever seen one in just its fluid movements and actual capabilities, even in the hands of raiders.

4 hours ago, Vondy said:

Seconded with a suggestion for everyone in Full Pedantry Lock:

Create a Star Wars Science thread to talk about Beskar, Vacuum, etc.

This to the Death Star scale. I really don't want to half ignore another thread because someone shoved a disruptor up Tramps BOLD.

As to the show, the Mando's rifle was referenced as a Pulse Rifle. Any thoughts on stats? One of my players says Pulse Cannon, another says a renamed Disruptor rifle. Personally, I think it has it's own stats. Thoughts?

Pulse cannon (Ranged [Heavy]; Damage 9; Critical 3; Range [Extreme]; Cumbersome 3, Pierce 2, Slow-firing 1)

Maybe but needs a stun setting, and the fork bayonet shock prod. The cartridges might produce different effects. 

Edited by Eoen

15 hours ago, GameboyAK said:

Side note, that AT-ST is probably the most terrifying we've ever seen one in just its fluid movements and actual capabilities, even in the hands of raiders.

Yet it doesn't manage to kill even a single villager. 

33 minutes ago, Ghostofman said:

Well minion vehicle operator + Sil adjustment doesn't make for great rolls.

Good thing it didn't open up with the grenade launcher....

1 hour ago, Hedgehobbit said:

Yet it doesn't manage to kill even a single villager. 

Yeah, out-of-repair AT-ST, untrained pilots, darkness, probably overconfident (playing with their food, if you will), and when you look at what they were targeting, it appeared that they were more focused on destroying the village than on destroying the villagers. So it's not too surprising, though we don't know there weren't any casualties. They also probably didn't have any ammo for the grenade launcher.

1 hour ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Yeah, out-of-repair AT-ST, untrained pilots, darkness, probably overconfident (playing with their food, if you will), and when you look at what they were targeting, it appeared that they were more focused on destroying the village than on destroying the villagers. So it's not too surprising, though we don't know there weren't any casualties. They also probably didn't have any ammo for the grenade launcher.

It's also worth noting that the raiders are a parasitic community.  They really do need their prey to survive.

If they ran through and actually KILLED the villagers, nobody would farm krill for them ... and they might actually have to do MANUAL LABOR.  D8  We all know that raiders couldn't stand for that.

... btw, is that the first time those space-orc-dog species has been seen?

Anyhoo, echoing everyone's burnout of SCIENCE OF STAR WARS.  This just reminds me of Charlie and the Chocolate factory.
- Namely where Willy Wonka is talking about the dangers and perils of Loompaland, and how the Hornsnozzlers, Snowswangers, and Wangdoodles were all extremely dangerous.
- then Mike  Teavee's parent, in spite of seeing the fantastical literally before their eyes, says something to the effect of "I'm a geography teacher and I've never heard of this!"
- Wonka's reply was basically "well, you certainly would know about how dangerous these monsters were if you did your job, wouldn't you?"

... I basically get the same vibe every time people try to force SCIENCE on the fantastical beyond "is it consistent within its own world"

1 minute ago, thinkbomb said:

... btw, is that the first time those space-orc-dog species has been seen?

No, they were a background species for a while and are readily apparent in Legends. They were statted in an EotE sourcebook, but I don't know which one. The most notable example I can remember of Klatooinians in canon is Castas, the bounty hunter who worked with Boba, Bossk, and Aurra Sing until the latter put a blaster bolt through his head.

3 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

No, they were a background species for a while and are readily apparent in Legends. They were statted in an EotE sourcebook, but I don't know which one. The most notable example I can remember of Klatooinians in canon is Castas, the bounty hunter who worked with Boba, Bossk, and Aurra Sing until the latter put a blaster bolt through his head.

Thanks!  I remember that ded boy now.  :D

Episode IV Thoughts

Overall: I enjoyed the episode a lot. I love Spaghetti Westerns and Chanbara and this series has woven those Star Wars inspirations in nicely. Hello Seven Samurai / Magnificent Seven. I give it 8/10.

Format: I like that they aren't locked into filling X minutes per episode as it keeps the writers from writing necessary filler scenes. On the other hand, I found myself wanting a tiny bit more development. Lucas' penchant for tight editing and using terse scripts that don't explain anything is well known, and Filoni (an executive producer) has worked with him extensively, but series aren't movies and I felt like 1-2 more lines about the early New Republic or the Mandos wouldn't have been out of place.

Corano: She did a workmanlike job and its always fun to watch her fight. She has the stature and muscle to dispel any notions of "waif fu." Her chemistry with the Mandalorian was also good. She's improved year by year as an actress. Since an unresolved complication was introduced for her character (a bounty) I don't doubt we'll see her again.

Related: I'm not convinced Episode IV was stand alone episode. We see our Mando and Cara Dune part ways at the end, but then we zoom in on Baby Yoda on the back of the "wagon" as they head into the woods. Just as the resolution to Episode I came in Episode II, I'm wondering if something else will happen on this planet before they leave in Episode V. We could just see a cut to a new world, of course, but they still had to get back to their ship when this one ended.

The Walker: The Walker was just straight-up awesome and it was good to see it treated as a serious piece of military equipment with terrifying firepower. 

Helmets: I don't think there was ever a question that Mandalorians do take their helmets off. You end up with a ludicrous set of logical extremes if you assert otherwise. They strike me as clannish and insular rather than rigidly impractical. The only questions I have is "when do they take them off and in front of whom?" Based on his previous exchange with the forger I would conclude "never in front of an enemy." Based on this episode I would add: "never in public or in the presence of outsiders." I postulate, in their private places, Mandos remove their helmets around kinfolk, fellow warriors, or intimate friends. For a Mandalorian to remove their helmet in front of you would likely be a great honor and a sign that they considered you extremely worthy or "one of us."  

Our Mando: I don't believe our Mandalorian is a wholly reliable example to extrapolate Mandalorian customs from. Its clear he is driven by deep dark childhood trauma and he linked his putting on the helmet to putting his old life behind him and starting a new life with his foster people. Yet, despite this, his previous life haunts him. Trauma survivors tend to build walls to protect their psyche. The helmet is a mask and a shield from himself more than the people around him. Also, people who undergo transformations in identity (adoptions, political or religious conversions, cultural naturalization) often strive to be exemplars. He is likely more rigid than many "native-born" Mandalorians would be. This provides one heck of a character arc if the writer's want it.

I'm looking forward to Episode V.

Addends...

Music: I'm re-watching the episode now and they cut in with the Mando Theme with way more emphasis in this episode as he was landing on the planet. This is good. It showcases and anchors it more. Its growing on me and adds a little heroic flourish that Star Wars needs.

Baby Yoda: is the incarnation of all that is good and wholesome in the Star Wars universe.

Edited by Vondy

They were seen in ep1 and ep2 as well. 
The first appearance was in RotJ though. 
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Klatooinian?file=Klatooinian_Barada_Databank.png

2 minutes ago, Vondy said:

Corano: She did a workmanlike job and its always fun to watch her fight. She the stature and muscle to dispel any notions of "waif fu."

I loved that fight scene. Part of what made it so good is that rather than just whaling on each other, you could see the different fighting styles and how Cara would make more use of leverage and momentum, whereas the Mandalorian tended to be more of the straight-up brawler. And yeah, she really does. I also loved how it ended in a draw, though one could argue that it was Baby Yoda who won. :P

When the scene started, I was concerned we were going to end up with another Atomic Blond fight scene, but no, it ended up being really good.

They are on Jabba's barge originally

29 minutes ago, DanteRotterdam said:

They were seen in ep1 and ep2 as well. 
The first appearance was in RotJ though. 
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Klatooinian?file=Klatooinian_Barada_Databank.png

6 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

They are on Jabba's barge originally

I was hoping someone would finally point this out. I was worried you were all a bunch of Star Wars fanamatures! :)