Varlie

Mandalorian - Spoilers inside, don't read until watched

56 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

There is the FAQ

I checked the EotE errata and this change is not in it.  I don't think that the FAQ isn't as useful for something like this because if no one ever asks the developers the question, the change will never be highlighted. 

On 11/27/2019 at 2:01 AM, Tramp Graphics said:

This^. 

Exactly. Beskar ore is Mandalorian IRON. As such, it is at the very least Iron ore  with various specific trace elements, if not a particular isotope of Iron unique to the planet Mandalore and Concordia.  It is then refined through various techniques into pure Mandalorian Iron as well as further refined into various Beskar Steel alloys through the addition of carbon.

Lightsabers aren't made of light... Turbolasers and Laser cannons don't fire laser beams... Just because a word in the name of an item is recognizable to us as something, doesn't mean that the item is made of that or even fires that.

The first time it was named "mandalorian iron" was in a comic from 1997, and I'm pretty sure they weren't interested in its metallurgical properties back then and just said "mandalorian iron" because they didn't have a mandalorian name for it yet.

Mandalorian iron was later named Beskar, and Beskar is an alloy.
And no, Beskar isn't Mandalorian iron refined into something else... the name is interchangeable... 

1 hour ago, OddballE8 said:

The first time it was named "mandalorian iron" was in a comic from 1997, and I'm pretty sure they weren't interested in its metallurgical properties back then and just said "mandalorian iron" because they didn't have a mandalorian name for it yet.

Mandalorian iron was later named Beskar, and Beskar is an alloy.
And no, Beskar isn't Mandalorian iron refined into something else... the name is interchangeable... 

Beskar literally means Iron in Mand’oa. The English word “steel” means an alloy of iron and carbon, and “steel” has been used in canon.

If your going to reference legends then it’s fair game to rebut with legends content.

“Beskar is a uniquely resistant iron that develops a wide range of properties—and colors—in the hands of skilled metalsmiths. Depending on the alloy, it can take any form from plate, laminate, and wire to foam, mesh, micronized particles, and even a transparent film. Mandalorians jealously guard their beskar-working skills and refuse to sell the formulas for any price; attempts to reproduce finished beskar elsewhere have been disappointing. The ore is found solely on Mandalore, and only Mandalorians know how to work it to maximize its extraordinary properties.“

Edited by Eoen

6 minutes ago, DanteRotterdam said:

This discussion ran its course 12 replies ago...

Yet people keep bringing it up, for some odd reason. As if the imaginary metals properties matter.

Edited by Eoen

3 minutes ago, Eoen said:

“Beskar is a uniquely resistant iron that develops a wide range of properties—and colors—in the hands of skilled metalsmiths."

So, it's not actually iron?

If it was, ordinary iron could be made resistant as well.

Personally this so called metal looks like pattern welded steel to me that is most commonly miss-sold as Damascus steel. Truth is, no one knows how Damascus steel was forged as historical artifacts of that nature have carbon nanotubes in it, so they merely vary the carbon content between the bands of steel they fuse, which they then subject to a chemical bath of some kind to really bring up the contrast between bands Principle it isn't welded for a mechanical advantage but rather an aesethic one; I personally own a pattern welded Viking styled sword with a bone hilt. It is very pretty but not hugely practical as the hilt is a bit big.

Which raises the point; if this steel is true steel, then why doesn't the armour also display similar colourations? Even without the chemical treatment, pattern wielded steel does display the bands if examined closely enough, which is the main fundamental difference between pattern wielded steel and printed upon steel. While this chromed up version of the armour is very visually appealing, it displays very little of the material quality of the steel being used. I mean, it can't have been hammered away in forging as those bars are already fully forged pattern wielded steel, so either way there's an inconsistency in the prop used and the final product!

XD It's just an amused observation. 

19 minutes ago, penpenpen said:

So, it's not actually iron?

If it was, ordinary iron could be made resistant as well.

No it’s not ordinary iron, I don’t think anyone in this thread is saying that.

1 hour ago, Eoen said:

Beskar literally means Iron in Mand’oa. The English word “steel” means an alloy of iron and carbon, and “steel” has been used in canon.

If your going to reference legends then it’s fair game to rebut with legends content.

“Beskar is a uniquely resistant iron that develops a wide range of properties—and colors—in the hands of skilled metalsmiths. Depending on the alloy, it can take any form from plate, laminate, and wire to foam, mesh, micronized particles, and even a transparent film. Mandalorians jealously guard their beskar-working skills and refuse to sell the formulas for any price; attempts to reproduce finished beskar elsewhere have been disappointing. The ore is found solely on Mandalore, and only Mandalorians know how to work it to maximize its extraordinary properties.“

This whole paragraph is written by someone who knows nothing about metalurgy. 

4 minutes ago, Eoen said:

It’s the wookieepedia go figure. Space Opera doesn’t really need to make sense.

This is also the same setting that routinely has such physics-defying things such as sound in space and an order of empowered ascetics that perform superhuman physical feats, telepathy, and telekinesis as a matter of course.

Anyone arguing for realism has completely missed the point of Star Wars at it's heart being a fairy tale set in space.

Star Wars iron seems to share very few properties with our earth iron.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Iron

"Iron was a substance that comprised certain starship fuels during the Galactic Civil War as well as was used to create beskar, a material from which traditional Mandalorian armor was created. Iron was present on Jakku in the Graveyard of Ships as a hazard to scavengers on the planet's surface. It possessed a gold color in the sand, identifying it. Iron could also be used to construct fences."

30 minutes ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

This is also the same setting that routinely has such physics-defying things such as sound in space and an order of empowered ascetics that perform superhuman physical feats, telepathy, and telekinesis as a matter of course.

Anyone arguing for realism has completely missed the point of Star Wars at it's heart being a fairy tale set in space.

I have come to the conclusion space in star wars is not a vacuume. Too many instances of it not acting like a vacuume. For example the space slug with an open mouth and Han and company exit the ship. No vaccuume. Rebels Kanan and Ezra jump from the ghost to an asteroid base. No vacuume. Spund i think space. Etc. Lots of examples that make more sense if space is not a vacuume. 

2 hours ago, Daeglan said:

I have come to the conclusion space in star wars is not a vacuume. Too many instances of it not acting like a vacuume. For example the space slug with an open mouth and Han and company exit the ship. No vaccuume. Rebels Kanan and Ezra jump from the ghost to an asteroid base. No vacuume. Spund i think space. Etc. Lots of examples that make more sense if space is not a vacuume. 

Uh-oh, now you've done it.  Hold on to your bold, everyone. 

Edited by Vorzakk

For example the space slug with an open mouth and Han and company exit the ship.

That's a weird situation with weirder explanations.

Rebels Kanan and Ezra jump from the ghost to an asteroid base. No vacuume.

That one is actually fine. They were within the gravity well of an asteroid/planetoid that had an atmosphere. They had to wear breath masks because of the poisonous fumes.

23 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

That's a weird situation with weirder explanations.

That one is actually fine. They were within the gravity well of an asteroid/planetoid that had an atmosphere. They had to wear breath masks because of the poisonous fumes.

Those arent the only ones. There are a lot of things that lead to that that conclusion. Ships slowing when engines off. Multiple episodes in rebels, clone wars etc. 

2 hours ago, Vondy said:

Star Wars is set on the Astral Plane.

Rephrase: Wacky ninja-leaping psychics with laser swords riding hyperspace wales on the Astral Plane.

I kid you not. See: Rebels "The Call."

Edited by Vondy