Jump to content
Varlie

Mandalorian - Spoilers inside, don't read until watched

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, DanteRotterdam said:

It was okay. I am not yet blown away but there’s definitely potential.

I feel about the same.

Granted, I was very much not interested in the series (am generally soured on anything having to do with Mandos, even the episodes of Rebels that focused on Sabine and her Mando heritage), but I liked what I saw enough that I'm willing to at least give the rest of the season a watch.  Probably helps that (at least so far) there's been no "hero-worshiping" of the title character, and has thus far proven that his in-setting reputation isn't just a lot of smoke and supposition (as it was with Boba Fett).

Shame about the IG droid, but the identity of the bounty is certainly intriguing.  I did like the touch of the stormtroopers' armor looking rather rough, a sure yet relatively minor sign that the Empire isn't nearly as dominant a power in the galaxy as it used to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

I feel about the same.

Granted, I was very much not interested in the series (am generally soured on anything having to do with Mandos, even the episodes of Rebels that focused on Sabine and her Mando heritage), but I liked what I saw enough that I'm willing to at least give the rest of the season a watch.  Probably helps that (at least so far) there's been no "hero-worshiping" of the title character, and has thus far proven that his in-setting reputation isn't just a lot of smoke and supposition (as it was with Boba Fett).

Shame about the IG droid, but the identity of the bounty is certainly intriguing.  I did like the touch of the stormtroopers' armor looking rather rough, a sure yet relatively minor sign that the Empire isn't nearly as dominant a power in the galaxy as it used to be.

I agree.  I like how he accepted the rebuke of the alien forcing him to learn to ride and didn't go overboard on pride.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked it a lot. Didn't move to fast. But a lot of good scenes that gives it RPG feel to it. The question I have. Does it take place before or after the Battle for Jakku? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tank0625 said:

I liked it a lot. Didn't move to fast. But a lot of good scenes that gives it RPG feel to it. The question I have. Does it take place before or after the Battle for Jakku? 

After, I believe. Battle of Jaku was 5 ABY, and I think I read that this series takes place 5 years after Death Star II was destroyed in 4 ABY, so... 9ish ABY. lol

Edited to add timeline pic:

JJLDgFK.png

Edited by Demon4x4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know about the “didn’t move too fast” bit. 
There was a lot that went on in the episode and a lot was throw away too... that ice worm thing? No idea why that was in there. The many, many establishing shots and well known aliens? Those too were a bit much. 
The Self-destruct joke repeated three times was spread way too thin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, it was so, so good. I don't think that the "self-destruct" joke was overdone. It would have been underdone if it had been only mentioned once. I loved the "We need to find some way to get through this door" *looks at HRB*

I really liked the humor in this one. It wasn't overdone, it was fairly subtle, and it didn't seem like a parody. It felt like it belonged.

I am a Mando geek at heart, so this was great for me and now I've just got to try really, really hard to wait patiently for the next episode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Oh, it was so, so good. I don't think that the "self-destruct" joke was overdone. It would have been underdone if it had been only mentioned once. I loved the "We need to find some way to get through this door" *looks at HRB*

I really liked the humor in this one. It wasn't overdone, it was fairly subtle, and it didn't seem like a parody. It felt like it belonged.

I am a Mando geek at heart, so this was great for me and now I've just got to try really, really hard to wait patiently for the next episode.

Only three days! Next one drops on Friday! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I cannot believe no one is talking about the white elephant in the room or should I say the baby Yoda.  

I'm looking forward for this to be fleshed out. Looks like one group wants him dead and Mandalorian group wants him alive. Very interesting. I did not see this coming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DanteRotterdam said:

I don’t know about the “didn’t move too fast” bit. 
There was a lot that went on in the episode and a lot was throw away too... that ice worm thing? No idea why that was in there. The many, many establishing shots and well known aliens? Those too were a bit much. 
The Self-destruct joke repeated three times was spread way too thin. 

I think a lot of those things were simply there as world-building, which isn't a bad thing for those people watching who aren't dyed-in-the-wool aficionados of the franchise, and helps establish that this series is taking place in the setting's equivalent of the boonies.  For those of us who are well-versed in the setting already, we probably don't need all those extra little details, so I can see where you're coming from.

The ice worm helped further establish that the Mandalorian is a cool under stress type of character, who doesn't mindlessly panic in tense situations.  Even when we see him later get flustered at various points (attacked by that weird creature that tried to bite his arm off, the introduction of that heavy blaster cannon to the firefight), he doesn't completely panic and figures out some sort of solution.

As for the droid and announcing his self-destruct, I guess that's a YMMV.  Seeing as how this was the same droid that just walked up to an armed compound and started quoting Guild bylaws with the expectation of the guards handing over the quarry, I'd say over-the-top was pretty much the droid's personality setting, and much like Korg from Thor: Ragnarok (much of his dialogue were plays on rock-paper-scissors) was done for laughs, which in and of itself can be very hit-or-miss for folks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, completely surprised on that one.  Reading on the reddit chat it seems like even Lucas is onboard with that which is completely surprising from previous Yoda species conversations

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ExpandingUniverse said:

Could someone tell me how many 'sodes the first season is, so I know how long to hibernate for then I can binge watch it later 🖥️ 🖥️ 🖥️

  • Episode 1: Tuesday, November 12, 2019
  • Episode 2: Friday, November 15, 2019
  • Episode 3: Friday, November 22, 2019
  • Episode 4: Friday, November 29, 2019
  • Episode 5: Friday, December 6, 2019
  • Episode 6: Friday, December 13, 2019
  • Episode 7: Wednesday, December 18, 2019
  • Episode 8: Friday, December 27, 2019

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Varlie said:
  • Episode 1: Tuesday, November 12, 2019
  • Episode 2: Friday, November 15, 2019
  • Episode 3: Friday, November 22, 2019
  • Episode 4: Friday, November 29, 2019
  • Episode 5: Friday, December 6, 2019
  • Episode 6: Friday, December 13, 2019
  • Episode 7: Wednesday, December 18, 2019
  • Episode 8: Friday, December 27, 2019

 

Cheers matey... R1 & eps 4 5 1 2 3 and 6 in that order until 28th Dec :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Varlie said:

Yeah, completely surprised on that one.  Reading on the reddit chat it seems like even Lucas is onboard with that which is completely surprising from previous Yoda species conversations

I wonder if a part of Lucas' reluctance about Yoda's species and background was more to do with the character himself?

After all, there was a female of his species (Yaddle?) sitting on the Jedi Council in Episode 1, so it's not like Yoda was the only one of his kind in the galaxy.

Of course, since Lucas is pretty much not involved with Star Wars in any major capacity, he's probably a lot more chill about things now that he's no longer the guy ultimately calling the shots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...