TedW

Firespray in Separatists or Jango in Scum?

Howdy!

Ever since the first released promotional picture of Clone Wars coming to X-Wing (Obi-Wan chased by Jango in an asteroid field), it has been a pretty fun time for me to observe how the two new factions have been making their way into the game and how their roster is expanding - as a prequel ships fan, I'm happy how it is so far and I'm looking forward to see how it goes in the future.

The question I'd like to bring up is related to the promotional image I mentioned, namely to the potential inclusion of Jango Fett. Obviously it might just be a marketing gimmick to invoke the EpII asteroid chase as part of releasing Obi's Delta, but it got me wondering whether FFG would be planning to release Jango at some point, and if so - in what way. While I'm looking forward to having a playable version, even if just to recreate the asteroid chase as a custom scenario, it seems there would be plenty of issues with that. Let's take a closer look:

- Scum or Separatists? - I think it's the first and most obvious thing to ask - if he was to be in the game, which faction would he be placed in? Given the treatment of Boba Fett in 2.0 (no longer having two versions, one for the Empire and one for Scum), I think it's safe to assume that the devs are likely to make him a Scum pilot (especially since Jango wasn't a Separatist much like Boba wasn't an Imperial - they were just bounty hunters working for the highest bidder). Then again, the sole fact he was working for the CIS might be enough of an excuse for FFG to bring him up as a Separatist pilot if they really wanted to, so even with Boba's history, it's unlikely but not impossible that they might change their mind. My personal vote goes towards a Scum Jango (even despite canon issues where he could fly alongside his adult son), but I'd be open to seeing him with the Seps just to have new options for squad building.

- New model or a card pack/expansion? We all know that the Firespray model was already released for 2.0, and making another one in Jango's paintjob might be somewhat redundant (even if welcomed by people wanting that miniature), especially with so many other ships that await inclusion. Then again, releasing Firesprays for the Separatists could potentially open up some new options for the faction, especially that they prove to be a very strong pick for squad building already, and pairing them with Separatist crew and ships might be interesting. But with yet another Firespray model, especially medium-based, I feel FFG would be better off considering releasing Jango & Co as either a card pack or a potential scenario pack with another model (maybe the old Aces style). FFG isn't shy to release reprints of older models with new paint jobs (Firespray, ARC-170, even Deltas), but the redundancy part comes into question again. I think that a card pack might save a lot of trouble in terms of introducing a totally new ship for Separatists (or expanding Scum roster), especially that the only known pilot was pretty much Jango, and coming up with others (like young Boba or maybe Hondo Ohnaka) would require some significant effort to make it a standard miniature expansion.

- Would you like to see him at all? Let's be fair, Jango was a pretty minor character in the prequels, and while him as a pilot would be interesting to see, there are so many other ships that haven't yet been released that even if he was to make a grand entrance, I'd say he is someone pretty low on the list of 'most awaited ships and pilots'. What do you think? Is it worth bringing him into the game at all? If so, at which stage and in what form?

Let's discuss! :)

As a Post Scriptum thing, because I love coming up with custom ideas, I thought I might as well share my little take on Jango Fett, just for theory sake :D

Pilot (Firespray-class Patrol Craft):
- Jango Fett (Cost: 81; Initiative: 5; Talent slot; After you perform a primary attack that hits, you may perform a bonus ‘Missile’ attack against the same target)

"We'll just have to finish him."

Crew:
- Boba Fett (Cost: 7; After you perform a primary attack,  if the targeted enemy ship is in your [forward attack arc], you may perform a red Focus action)

"Get him dad, get him! FIRE!"

Title:
- Jango’s Slave I (Cost: 6; Add ‘Sensor’ slot; When performing an attack, if an obstacle is obstructing the attack, you may spend 1 Hit or Critical Hit result to remove 1 obstacle obstructing the attack)

"He doesn't seem to take the hint, this guy."

Edited by TedW

He seems affiliated strongly enough with the Separatists in AotC. Was he even a bounty hunter anyway?

Firespray in Separatists will add a lot to a new faction that wants more ships, is a good excuse for a new paint job to sell, and might get more people to buy into the faction; adding him to Scum doesn't do anything other than adding a new pilot card.

1 hour ago, TedW said:

Jango was a pretty minor character in the prequels

Really? He had lots of screen time and he flew a distinct ship in a protracted, memorable scene. He is a more significant character than probably 95% of the existing pilots in X-Wing!

Edited by Rossetti1828

I like the idea of a Jango pilot, Should be Scum, he worked for Cis and also was stationed at the cloning family for the Republic army. He's just a guy for hire.

Double tap is strong, but would be missiles double tap not torp. Requires a lock after rolling attack dice and a hit and paid for missiles and charges on the missiles and in missiles range and the target not to have died.

I dont think its over powered, but strong on the first pass.

2 minutes ago, Scum4Life said:

I like the idea of a Jango pilot, Should be Scum, he worked for Cis and also was stationed at the cloning family for the Republic army. He's just a guy for hire.

Double tap is strong, but would be missiles double tap not torp. Requires a lock after rolling attack dice and a hit and paid for missiles and charges on the missiles and in missiles range and the target not to have died.

I dont think its over powered, but strong on the first pass.

Should probably have a roll-over gameplay cost, similarly to Corran Horn's ability. Perhaps a deplete token instead of disarm, due to the heavier restrictions. Also, probably competing with Boba on points cost.

I think we will see Jango come in Scum. While I could see him getting placed in with the Seps, FFG would have to really stretch to put in other pilots to fill out the roster. Characters like Aurra Sing and Hondo have flown Firesprays, but have even less of a connection to the Seps than Jango. So, a Expansion seems unlikely.

Now, card expansions is where things could get interesting. That’s where I expect to see him for Scum, but the idea of putting in one off crossfaction pilots could be real fun. Sep Jango, Imp Boba, Scum Dash, and so on. Even stuff like Chewie in a lambda could be done. It does present its own problems, but could be fun.

2 hours ago, SabineKey said:

I think we will see Jango come in Scum. While I could see him getting placed in with the Seps, FFG would have to really stretch to put in other pilots to fill out the roster. Characters like Aurra Sing and Hondo have flown Firesprays, but have even less of a connection to the Seps than Jango. So, a Expansion seems unlikely.

I especially like how, basically, Jango, Boba, Aurra and Hondo all flew the SAME Firespray...

43 minutes ago, Revanur said:

I would have loved to see Jango in the Hotshots and Aces pack as one of the new Scum pilots. Much more than a pilot for the Jumpmaster. 

Hoping he will be added next time 

Let's hope the jumpmaster pilot is a dial fixer. "Lower the difficulty of all right banks and right turns by one". Maybe it'll be playable.

The empire doesn't have access to the firespray anymore with 2.0.  So i think it's safe to assume jango won't be coming to the separatist side and would only be a scum pilot

That said i don't think the separatists even need the firespray. If i remember correctly, they already outnumber the amount of different types of ships to the republic

4 hours ago, Cerebrawl said:

Let's hope the jumpmaster pilot is a dial fixer. "Lower the difficulty of all right banks and right turns by one". Maybe it'll be playable.

Let's hope that's EXACTLY what they DON'T do. The Jumpmaster wouldn't be getting any complaints if it had a 4-front attack or a 3-bow-tie turret. The problem is not maneuverability, but poor firepower and poor time on target.

If it has a problem with stress, it's the lack of white rotate, not the lack of blues. It has a pretty generous suite of blues. The dial is still massively better than the G1-A's, which is still quite playable due to useful upgrade slots and decent pilot abilities.

The asymmetrical nature of the Jumpmaster's dial is supposed to be the defining characteristic of the ship, and something they botched in 1st edition because both sides were still unfathomably good. In 2nd edition, it's something that actually affects the way you fly it. Learning how to fly it would be extremely rewarding, if there were anything else in the ship to make it worth flying. There just isn't right now.

8 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

In 2nd edition, it's something that actually affects the way you fly it. Learning how to fly

It's the nascar toilet seat. Utterly predictable and prone to being blocked. It's not a matter of learning to fly it, it's a matter of it being so limited that it's often effectively forced to do certain maneuvers(between dial and board state), and your opponent will know it too.

But yes, the lack of firepower and the red rotates suck too. It'd have niche use as a blocker/bugzapper if the dial wasn't so terrible though.

11 minutes ago, Cerebrawl said:

It's the nascar toilet seat. Utterly predictable and prone to being blocked. It's not a matter of learning to fly it, it's a matter of it being so limited that it's often effectively forced to do certain maneuvers(between dial and board state), and your opponent will know it too.

But yes, the lack of firepower and the red rotates suck too. It'd have niche use as a blocker/bugzapper if the dial wasn't so terrible though.

If you're not stressed, you have way more options than the G1-A or the Hound's Tooth. If you are stressed, you have way more options than the G1-A or the Hound's Tooth. You may be going in a fairly left-ward direction, but exactly where you're ending up is still anything but a foregone conclusion, and unlike the G1-A, you could be facing multiple directions after turning around.

What it really needs is any reason to fly it instead of the Hound's Tooth or cYT-1300. That doesn't currently exist, but it easily could, be it a sensor slot, another crew, or an actual errata. I'd like to see either the arc be a bow tie and the title simply add one to the primary value or else have the title actually add a 3 front arc. Either of those would do plenty to make it viable while still being a very distinctive ship. As it is, there's just no reason to call it a turret ship; it's basically front-arc locked.

Any way to mitigate the dial should be stress-removal of some sort. Just "un-doing the mistake" is the worst possible fix; it takes something interesting and removes it from the game. They should instead lean into it and make it an interesting management decision. If it's too predictable, give it a config with two charges to remove all your stress before activating or something. There are ways to deal with it that don't neuter the ship identity.

Edited by ClassicalMoser

13 hours ago, Rossetti1828 said:

is a good excuse for a new paint job to sell

It seems that "new paint jobs" for extant 2.0 ships will only be tournament prizes.

With that in mind, he'll either be a Sep release, or a card pack for Scum.

Edited by Darth Meanie

I'm not sure if a CIS force really needs a Firespray. Having Jango himself as part of a card-only pack for the Scum faction seems more likely- he wasn't a member of the CIS, just a hired trouble-shooter/gene-donator.

4 hours ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Let's hope that's EXACTLY what they DON'T do. The Jumpmaster wouldn't be getting any complaints if it had a 4-front attack or a 3-bow-tie turret. The problem is not maneuverability, but poor firepower and poor time on target.

If it has a problem with stress, it's the lack of white rotate, not the lack of blues. It has a pretty generous suite of blues. The dial is still massively better than the G1-A's, which is still quite playable due to useful upgrade slots and decent pilot abilities.

The asymmetrical nature of the Jumpmaster's dial is supposed to be the defining characteristic of the ship, and something they botched in 1st edition because both sides were still unfathomably good. In 2nd edition, it's something that actually affects the way you fly it. Learning how to fly it would be extremely rewarding, if there were anything else in the ship to make it worth flying. There just isn't right now.

Punishing One shouldn't have been front-arc only, and certainly shouldn't have just given it a front arc like Moldy Crow--that'd make gameplay too boring for someone like Dengar.

Simply giving the 2e Jumpmaster a third attack die with their turret would be interesting.  The combination of only one turret arc, rotating only on a red action, and awkward blues, would have been really interesting.  Maybe omit the gunner slot from the ship to lock out Agile Gunner.  A 3-red turret that gets mods and a rotate every round would be wicked good on a ship which didn't have the Jump's dial.  Jump dial would make it unique.

2 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

Punishing One shouldn't have been front-arc only, and certainly shouldn't have just given it a front arc like Moldy Crow--that'd make gameplay too boring for someone like Dengar.

Simply giving the 2e Jumpmaster a third attack die with their turret would be interesting.  The combination of only one turret arc, rotating only on a red action, and awkward blues, would have been really interesting.  Maybe omit the gunner slot from the ship to lock out Agile Gunner.  A 3-red turret that gets mods and a rotate every round would be wicked good on a ship which didn't have the Jump's dial.  Jump dial would make it unique.

As usual, agreed on all counts. I do think a bow tie arc would have at least made it more viable, but it certainly shouldn’t have had any 2 between:

• Bow Tie Arc

• 3 Front Arc

• 3 Turret Arc

Still, it should have one, and at present it doesn’t have any.

FFG, if you’re listening, we really do want a true hard errata on the Jumpmaster. Nothing insane, but at least something.

Edited by ClassicalMoser