Brasca

Huge Ships in App?

16 hours ago, Quack Shot said:

It’s not a requirement though. We know the points and slots, just like first edition. Just we have an official app as well. 

nothing like first edition. cards dont have points on them. i cant hand s stack of cards to a new player and let them build a squad.  the app is functionally mandatory

3 hours ago, Vontoothskie said:

nothing like first edition. cards dont have points on them. i cant hand s stack of cards to a new player and let them build a squad.  the app is functionally mandatory

You CAN have the printout of the PDF with the points and slots (or you can look at them through a device of your choice). It's not practical, but you CAN.

12 minutes ago, NilsTillander said:

You CAN have the printout of the PDF with the points and slots (or you can look at them through a device of your choice). It's not practical, but you CAN.

And it's functionally like most other miniature war games. ****, most of them don't have an app to help you with army building. Instead you have to buy the individual units for $10-$40 each (depending on what type) or $40 for a basic half strength squad. You then have to pay around $50 for the main rule book every time a new edition of it is released. PLUS you need to shell out around $30 for an army codex for each and every faction you want to play, that way you know what the point costs and allowed units are. Repeat that purchase as well every time a new army codex is released for your faction(s) to tweak game balance.

Compare that to X-Wing, which puts the rules on the website as a free PDF, and does the same for the point cost/upgrade slots documents. Oh, and has a free app to make squadron building quick and easy without having to go through multiple lists to verify  how much it costs and what slots a ship has and how much each upgrade costs. And if a new updated version of the rule book is released, that too is put up for free on the website, with changes highlighted so you can easily check only what changed.

Infinite Arenas Squad Viewer is updated for Epic/Huge.  Paste YASB or LBN XWS in and you can preview/print your list.  Since I couldn't use the official app API since they didn't update it yet, I used various images people have posted for cards not included in any FFG articles to date.  Sorry I can't help the official app catch up to the 3rd party volunteers!

6 hours ago, Faerie1979 said:

And it's functionally like most other miniature war games. ****, most of them don't have an app to help you with army building.

Yeah, I'm not gonna go down the road to "other games don't, so why should XWM?"

First of all, XWM was the #1 minis game at one point.  I'm going to guess that one part of that success was that listbuilding was not a pain in the ***.  Lists were 100 points, featuring (in the beginning) a modicum of cards (until 0-point fix upgrades became the norm).

Secondly, the App was A Promise made at the transition from 1.0 to 2.0 that Things Would Be Better.  Point changes are amazing for balance, but PDFs + Cards + Rulebooks is cumbersome to many.

Lastly, Epic is here.  The App should reflect that.  Heck, it should reflect it before 3rd party builders can.

Compare that to X-Wing, which puts the rules on the website as a free PDF, and does the same for the point cost/upgrade slots documents. Oh, and has a free app to make squadron building quick and easy without having to go through multiple lists to verify  how much it costs and what slots a ship has and how much each upgrade costs. And if a new updated version of the rule book is released, that too is put up for free on the website, with changes highlighted so you can easily check only what changed.

Well, that's the complaint, isn't it.  A squadron builder is critical to make listbuilding quick and easy.  But the official app can't seem to keep up with 3rd party builders to the point that World Champion Players submit lists constructed on YASB!!

8 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

Lastly, Epic is here.  The App should reflect that.  Heck, it should reflect it before 3rd party builders can.

I do actually agree that the official app should be updated to include Huge ships and Epic format already. I also think it should be capable of not only tracking your collection, but using that collection tracking to limit what options the app gives you for list building. Why is it that a 3rd party squad builder has is more up to date and has more functionality then the official one?!

But even without the app, I'd happily take free PDFs over having to shell out $30 every time the point costs have been updated.

I’ll be honest here, there was nothing I was looking forward to more than epic and huge ship conversion. Due to the fact that FFG didn’t release dates it would be available the only shop in the next town over from me got no kits, the next largest town 45 min away got no kits either, this is the largest store in the northern part of the state. Now we know there are issues with the bases in the kits and there isn’t even any official support in the app, well at least it’s saved me $100 I would have otherwise spent on the game for 3x conversion kits. I see the distribution issues and lack of quality and care that’s being put into this game and can’t help but wonder how much longer the mismanagement will allow the game to survive. We’ve already seen attendance at several tournaments go down, I personally will not be spending another penny on this game until they show some form of care for the customer base. I have already suspended any and all tournaments at the store I built a community in and have informed the store owner not to bother ordering anymore unless he can find someone else to run them. As @Darth Meanie stated above, it was at one time the best selling miniature game around, I wonder why it’s not anymore. (Sorry, they don’t have a sarcasm font for that last statement). I’ve really looked forward to Epic and huge ships, unfortunately all we got was a Huge Epic fail from FFG this time around. Most of what they had done with 2.0 has been awesome, but you can see the cracks forming that ruined 1.0. So I’ll observe from a distance and save money from now on. I forgot to even touch on the delay on the only two new ships coming in the next wave🤦‍♂️

12 hours ago, Faerie1979 said:

And it's functionally like most other miniature war games. ****, most of them don't have an app to help you with army building. Instead you have to buy the individual units for $10-$40 each (depending on what type) or $40 for a basic half strength squad. You then have to pay around $50 for the main rule book every time a new edition of it is released. PLUS you need to shell out around $30 for an army codex for each and every faction you want to play, that way you know what the point costs and allowed units are. Repeat that purchase as well every time a new army codex is released for your faction(s) to tweak game balance.

I can buy six, note 6!, 40k codexes for what Ive already payed to convert half my medium sized 1.0 collection. and 1 codex converts your entire faction. x-wing conversion is more akin to rebasing models with edition specific scenic bases. regardless the 40k comparison is actually unfavorable to X-wing.  its apples-and-oranges, and this is the x-wing forum

my comment was regarding the decision to require a digital component in this game, aka X-wing. that decision finalized (for many of us) the transition from a beer and pretzels pew pew fantasy game into a Serious-ultra-competetive-power-gamer tournament type game.  At this point Id prefer there were 0 upgrades and all ships were generics with preset abilities over the competetive deck building game we have now.

but hey, in 2 years we'll have X-wing 3.0, so maybe they'll fix it then

4 hours ago, Vontoothskie said:

I can buy six, note 6!, 40k codexes for what Ive already payed to convert half my medium sized 1.0 collection. and 1 codex converts your entire faction. x-wing conversion is more akin to rebasing models with edition specific scenic bases. regardless the 40k comparison is actually unfavorable to X-wing.  its apples-and-oranges, and this is the x-wing forum

I've looked over the changes between various 40k rule editions and codexes. And much of the time the new rule editions are just officially printing the updated rules due to recent errata. And the codexes are effectively just point cost rebalancing more often then not. Thus you're right, comparing X-Wing 1.0 and 2.0 to Warhammer 40k's many updated rule books and codexes is apples to oranges. But I wasn't doing that. I was comparing the minor tweaks 40k and other major miniature games do which force you to buy a whole new rule book and army book(s) at full price to FFG's updating a handful of free PDF with changes to include errata and point/upgrade slot rebalancing.

You know, events which with other games would have you pay full price for a new army book so you can redo your list with the updated point costs without having to change replace or update any part of your miniature collection.

Mind you, I did buy a Rebel Alliance Conversion Kit despite not having any 1.0 minis. I did so specifically to get the upgrade cards. The ship cards, ship tokens, and bases are so much trash for me. Yet I consider it a good deal However I did look over how many bases the conversion kit gives. And you know what conclusion I came to? You only actually need 1 conversion kit per faction regardless of how large your 1.0 collection is. The 1.0 minis and bases are still usable according to the conversion kit. As such you only needed the ship tokens, ship cards, and upgrade cards. Oh, and the tokens themselves. Of which you get a decent amount. The Huge Ship Conversion Kit only comes with 2 Huge Ship bases, but realistically... how often will you be fielding more then 2 Huge ships in a single battle? It was intended for a single person's use after all.

16 hours ago, Vykk Draygo said:

I wonder why it’s not anymore. (Sorry, they don’t have a sarcasm font for that last statement).

Real talk, its because 40k 8E actually fixed a lot of problems that its player base had and 40k had a resurgence. 40k 7E bombing was a major reason that FFG took the top spot away from GW. 

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 12:55 PM, J1mBob said:

Infinite Arenas Squad Viewer is updated for Epic/Huge.  Paste YASB or LBN XWS in and you can preview/print your list.  Since I couldn't use the official app API since they didn't update it yet, I used various images people have posted for cards not included in any FFG articles to date.  Sorry I can't help the official app catch up to the 3rd party volunteers!

I tried to print a list tonight.  I get nothing for a Huge ship, but everything else works fine.

However, Epic lists are going to longer than 8 ships. . .

5 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

I tried to print a list tonight.  I get nothing for a Huge ship, but everything else works fine.

However, Epic lists are going to longer than 8 ships. . .

So I was linking to my Squad Viewer, which is different from my Custom Quick Build tool. The Squad Viewer just allows you to print and proxy the normal ship and upgrade cards. I used card images from FFG articles where available and used imgur/facebook images of cards where FFG images were not available. 

You might be more used to using my Custom Quick Build cards, which combine the pilot and upgrade cards into a single card. I rely upon the FFG app API to provide not the card image but instead just the art from the card. When FFG makes that available, then I can add the huge ships to the Custom Quick Build tool. And if they don’t, I’ll try to figure out some way to substitute other art to make it work...

And you are right, I better work on removing the 8-ship limit....

Thank you for your continued interest in the Infinite Arenas game aids!

14 minutes ago, Parakitor said:

I just heard that a post by FFG somewhere (Twitter?) stated that the huge ships will not be in the app. Can somebody confirm? 😬

I poked my head onto Twitter and didn't see anything. Regardless, that sounds extremely wrong. It's true that FFG has struggled with the app, but I cannot imagine them consciously deciding to not implement huge ships in the app.

18 minutes ago, Averross said:

I poked my head onto Twitter and didn't see anything. Regardless, that sounds extremely wrong. It's true that FFG has struggled with the app, but I cannot imagine them consciously deciding to not implement huge ships in the app.

I suspect that you need to have a Twitter account so that you can see more than the tweets on the front page.