Sign in to follow this  
slope123

Who Created the LCG Business Model?

Hello, I am working on writing a report on Fantasy Flight Games, and the innovative creation of the LCG system for card distribution.  However, it is unclear who actually came up with the idea of the LCG.  My best guess is that it was the main designer on what appears to be the first LCG (Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game) Nate French, but there doesn't seem to be any information confirming or denying that anywhere.

Are there any LCG veterans out there who remember the old days of LCGs who can help me?

I'm not sure it's possible to track it as specifically as you seem to want to. It didn't even necessarily have anything to do with the designer of the game, as the design of the game and its distribution model are not entirely relevant to each other.

If you're trying to give personal credit for some reason, you might try asking Fantasy Flight (they would know what happened with their games better than fans on a forum).

You're also not entirely correct in terms of LCG being an innovative creation of Fantasy Flight - for example, off the top of my head, Warlord: Saga of the Storm was a card game with non-randomized expansions years before Call of Cthulhu. So the terminology was their invention, but the distribution model was certainly not.

4 hours ago, Turan said:

You're also not entirely correct in terms of LCG being an innovative creation of Fantasy Flight - for example, off the top of my head, Warlord: Saga of the Storm was a card game with non-randomized expansions years before Call of Cthulhu. So the terminology was their invention, but the distribution model was certainly not.

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/302015-who-created-the-lcg-business-model/?do=findComment&comment=3824255

On 11/8/2019 at 7:36 AM, Turan said:

I'm not sure it's possible to track it as specifically as you seem to want to. It didn't even necessarily have anything to do with the designer of the game, as the design of the game and its distribution model are not entirely relevant to each other.

If you're trying to give personal credit for some reason, you might try asking Fantasy Flight (they would know what happened with their games better than fans on a forum).

thank you that was helpful.  I'll try that.