c__beck

Your Guide to Adventure

The latest (and hopefully last) preview of the Expanded Player's Guide dropped yesterday, entitled Your Guide to Adventure!

In it, we get a bit more info about the three new settings:

• Age of Myth
  • Monsterworld
  • Post-Apocolypse

We get a preview of one of the new archetypes for each setting and a small number of cool gear. Along with, of course, the basic feel of the setting.

ONWARD TO ADVENTURE!

Edited by c__beck

Personally, I love the idea of the survivor archetypegns11_survivor-chart.png, but hot dawg, if that 7 + Willpower ST doesn't kill it for me. I mean, sure strain is the easiest thing to recover, but I would expect a survivor to have a higher ST than WT (before Grit/Toughened, that is).

I would happily have 8 + Br WT and 9 + Will ST. But it is what it is, right?

But that Always Prepared ability is amazing, though. Free strain? Yes please!

15 hours ago, c__beck said:

strain is the easiest thing to recover

Until you're put past your strain threshold. Then you can really only recover it from a day of rest, barring any GM fiat as there aren't really any strain recovery items in the rulebook.

10 hours ago, Alderaan Crumbs said:

I’m curious as to how they’re modeling demigods in other ways, mechanically. The superhero rules are crap IMO and I’m hoping this bit fleshes it out better.

I find the superhero rules are really a couple rule tweaks. My personal preference is to combine the magic rules with the superhero tweaks to actually have a superhero game. The problem is if you only want certain powers or you want stuff beyond the rulebook options.

They could write up an entire setting book on superheroes and have that be their newest IP and it would definitely get sales.

Alas, for me, Sentinel Comics: The Roleplaying Game now is my go-to for superhero games.

Edited by GroggyGolem

7 hours ago, GroggyGolem said:

Until you're put past your strain threshold. Then you can really only recover it from a day of rest, barring any GM fiat as there aren't really any strain recovery items in the rulebook.

Yeah, that's always the threat, isn't it? Strain is easy to manage…until it isn't 😛

And you can recover strain from a Medicine check (each advantage is one strain recovered) or Heal spell. And both Terrinoth and Android have strain-recovering items (stamina elixir and stims, respectively). Also, you still make your Simple skill check at the end of the encounter to recover strain: there is no restriction that you have to be conscious to do that.

4 hours ago, c__beck said:

there is no restriction that you have to be conscious to do that.

I'd say the fact that you're incapacitated does say you can't do that. If you can't take an incidental while incapacitated, then why would you be able to make a full skill check?

4 minutes ago, GroggyGolem said:

I'd say the fact that you're incapacitated does say you can't do that. If you can't take an incidental while incapacitated, then why would you be able to make a full skill check?

Except there is nothing in the recovery rules (CRB117) or description of incapacitation ("Incapacitation means that a character is unconscious and no longer able to act until the number of wounds or strain they are suffering is decreased below their wound or strain threshold." CRB113) that says you don't recover strain. It's not an active or incidental check. It just happens.

1 hour ago, c__beck said:

Except there is nothing in the recovery rules (CRB117) or description of incapacitation ("Incapacitation means that a character is unconscious and no longer able to act until the number of wounds or strain they are suffering is decreased below their wound or strain threshold." CRB113) that says you don't recover strain. It's not an active or incidental check. It just happens.

In fact, just my two cents, it is quite cinematic to recover after the fight with a check. How often do we see in films where someone knocked out wakes up right after the fight?

2 hours ago, c__beck said:

Nothing says you can, nothing says you can't. It's GM territory. Hence the way I wrote my previous reply, saying it's how I'd consider it.

Not being able to act does lean towards "cannot mechanically do anything" but doesn't explicitly state anything besides you "can't act". What "can't act" means is going to be different per interpretation.