Kehl_Aecea

Setting up an Epic event at my local store.

Alright, trying to get some general interest in Epic play (well, huge ship play) and doing a large launch event. What I'm doing is bringing my ENTIRE collection of X-Wing with me, which is basically everything for all 7 factions (everything in the conversion kits plus a few extras) and everything new, and my 5 huge ships. With ALL that, plus the two epic conversion kits AND the epic mission box along with a 6x3 playmat, I'm also bringing a junker laptop running YASB 2.0 so people can mess around with lists easily.  I'm bringing all my stuff so new players can make a list of ANYTHING or for existing players to make their dream list and give it a go for the day.

The store has plenty of product, food, drinks (to buy of course). Just curious if any of you have any ideas of anything else I should do for this thing I'm doing? 

Open to suggestions!

I agree with Nervous, to a new commer less is more. I would have some (few) basic lists and a 3x3 that people with time can play on, as well as an epic battle set up in the middle of the action where you can show them certain aspects. Perhaps shooting a torpedo at a huge ship, or energy management. You probably have 5 min of attention span.

If your target is experienced players, who play only 200pt dog fights then you just being there with the stuff mentioned above will be enough to start the conversation.

Build lists ahead of time.

Keep those lists simple with minimal extra triggers to remember.

I honestly would rather have the huge ships on just display in a mock battle mid game and have the real demo be something like aces high or maybe basic 200 point lists, unless your target audience is your xwing community not brand new players 

4 hours ago, Kehl_Aecea said:

Open to suggestions!

Who is your target audience?  Existing players new to Epic/Huge ships?  New players?

What I would recommend is creating lists already and having all the minis and/or cards set up ahead of time.   Get it all separated and tokens out and everything you can do before you leave the house, and then set it all up.  I would recommend at least 2 tables.    Even experienced players will enjoy having a list already made.  It will save time.   Also, I've found tournament players make bad Huge ship or Epic lists.  They tend to dump their points into a few costly stuff and a list full of generics kills them.  You can even set up a table just for Aces High on the side for people to play if they know what they are doing.   You can drag up to 8 people into one game like that.

When making the lists, aim for generics and don't go with too many upgrades for most.  Don't go with too many named pilots.  When people are dealing with all sorts of named stuff, it is hard to remember all the special things.   You are showcasing the big battles and how they move.  Don't worry about special pilots and astromechs.   Just put stuff on the table and let them fly.   

STICK TO ICONIC.  You might like obscure ship x,y, or z, but if you want to pull in Star Wars fans, use the ships they know.  You can't go wrong with Wings of regular ships on the table.   Or at least the best you can.  Scum should have the ones people know, like at least one Firespray.  

Watch your initiative orders.  When you build your list, pay attention to when ships go.  For example, don't make a list with two different sets of Academy Pilots.  It means when Empire 1 has to go, the other guy is sitting there for half an hour as someone moves.   Even if it costs more points to bump a group up to Obsidian or Black Squadron, it is worth it to keep the flow going.   Think of efficiency of game play instead of points.

Compartmentalize the lists.  You can have people walking up and joining in late or someone playing for 30 min and then leaving.  When you make up the lists, try to think of them as how you can split them between numerous players.  If you really want to get people involved, pay attention to who is hanging around and watching.  Grab them and give them some ships to fly.  Explain how the game works super fast.  You might pull in new Xwing players besides the regular ones who only play death match.  You will attract more new players by having cool looking stuff on the table.  

Play Star Wars music and use sound effects as much as you can.  Depends on the store, but if you can get a bluetooth speaker to play epic Star Wars music while gaming, then do it.   If you have an app or something else for sound effects, use it when you can.   I have a button that you push and it makes star wars shooting sounds.  I  use it all the time and let as many people hit it as they play as it makes the game.   Be mindful of the store and other gamers.  We had to stop the music as the acoustics bounced the music to echo around the front of the ship and drive the employees crazy.  Also don't drown out other gamers.   

Maybe set up an aces high type table (not sure if the exact rules will work). Have 7 or 8 simple ships setup. Every time someone gets destroyed or someone joins, they deploy with a different ship from the unused lot. 

Edited by Gberezowsky

2 hours ago, XPav said:

Aces High with Quick Builds.   2 or 3 threat. 
Use the infinite arenas printer to make them.  

Set the Epic ship up as a display.  

Just to correct you, the Aces High is the Epic.   

I say make Huge Ships the main event and have Aces High as the side event.

3 hours ago, XPav said:

Aces High with Quick Builds.   2 or 3 threat. 
Use the infinite arenas printer to make them.  

Set the Epic ship up as a display.  

9 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

Just to correct you, the Aces High is the Epic.   

I say make Huge Ships the main event and have Aces High as the side event.

Whatever gets top billing, I say printing out quick build cards from Infinite Arenas is the way to go!  (insert conflict-of-interest disclaimer here)

Seriously though, list-building in the store and shuffling through cards to find what you need has very little appeal in my head sim of your event.  I'd suggest having lists picked and printed beforehand keeps the event focused on the best parts of the game: models, dials, movement, attack!

As others have recommended; do the pre-made lists.

The Epic stuff has quick-build cards included. So you do not even have to build the lists yourself, just find the quick build cards and bring what is listed on them.

I would recommend running the "Passing Engagement" scenario from the Epic Battles.

Set up your two mats, and set up each mat as a 2 V 2 drop in game.

Use the quick-build cards for 1 Huge ship load out + 1 squadron, using the new Wing tool for each team. (Quick build Luke and 4 X wings vs Quick build Vader and 5 Black Sqd TIEs works well)

You only need to use 2 Dials for this, which lets one player easily manage both the Huge Ship, and the Squadron, or 1 team member fly's the squadron and 1 team member fly's the Huge ship. Additionally, there are two shuttles per team, so those can be split between two players, or easily managed by 1 player at a time.

This lets you easily do drop in drop out if play is casual, and you can have multiple epic games going on with only your two play mats.

Good Luck!

Edit: Also, I recommend running the Epic Scenario without obstacles.  There is so much to focus on with the Huge ships and the new design stuff, you really do not need obstacles to enjoy this scenario.  Its not 6 + 200 v 200 death match.  And its much more fun for new/younger/less experienced players without the obstacles 🙂

Edited by Echoseven

2 hours ago, Kehl_Aecea said:

The pre-made lists are a great idea. I'll whip up a couple for each faction tonight so they're ready to go for Sunday. I'm still bringing the laptop with me so people can mess around with list building or make adjustments.

If you really want to save yourself a headache, you should prep all your cards and tokens for those cards the night before.   Take a wing and put all cards, dials, and tokens for that wing into a baggie.

I've run X-Wing events at a few conventions now and some new player events at my FLGS and I have found a few useful ideas.

I currently keep all of my plastic bases, pegs, tokens, and dials in Sir Willibald's gear boxes.  They help out tremendously for quickly getting someone up and running as all they need is the ship model, its gearbox and it's pilot sheet and they are good to go.  Before I printed out gearboxes for my collection, I used this storage box with each compartment holding a plastic base, cardboard base, dial and pegs for each ship and numbered on each pilot sheet so I knew which box held the right components.

I also use these pilot sheets at my events.  I print them out and use clear packing tape so that players can mark the sheets with a dry erase marker.  That way, they can track shields, damage, charges, force, etc. without any need for tokens or cards.  It helps keep the table a bit cleaner and for larger multiplayer events it can help reduce the number of damage decks required.  They are organized with the ship stats on the left, weapons in the center, and upgrades/abilities on the right.  I've thought about revising the format a few times but I have rarely had issues with people not quickly grasping the layout.  Another great option is the quick build cards from Infinite Areas, but I think having 1 card or sheet with everything on it can be a bit easier to manage than a set of cards.

Another idea that worked very well for me last time was small token dishes like these.  They let you create small supplies of tokens around the table that people can pull from and help keep everything a lot more organized.  It was recommended for most of the board games at my last convention and it worked very well with X-Wing given the sheer number of tokens the game uses.

4 hours ago, heychadwick said:

If you really want to save yourself a headache, you should prep all your cards and tokens for those cards the night before.   Take a wing and put all cards, dials, and tokens for that wing into a baggie.

6 hours ago, J1mBob said:

Whatever gets top billing, I say printing out quick build cards from Infinite Arenas is the way to go!  (insert conflict-of-interest disclaimer here)

I'm gonna root for the JimBob big time here.

Screw cards; leave them at home.  Make his printouts with ships and upgrades all in one e-card.  You could even shoot for a price point (say 50 points?} and make every ship design fall out about there.  Then people can mix and match whatever they want.

Like @heychadwick said, stay iconic and generic, and let the gameplay do the magic.  GET PEOPLE ON THE MAT, not farting around with setup.

It sounds like a blast; I wish I could be there!

10 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

Screw cards; leave them at home.  Make his printouts with ships and upgrades all in one e-card.  You could even shoot for a price point (say 50 points?} and make every ship design fall out about there.  Then people can mix and match whatever they want.

Eh, if you're reaching out to new players, it may be better to stick with actual game components, at least initially.  By all means come up with the lists ahead of time, but I wouldn't abandon the cards completely with new players.

18 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

If new players, I would not add in S-Foils.  It just complicates the game.

Are you kidding? Upgrade cards complicate the game. But it's a good sort of complicated. Granted, half the time I forget you can switch S-Foils between open and closed and why you want to do so.

3 hours ago, JJ48 said:

Eh, if you're reaching out to new players, it may be better to stick with actual game components, at least initially.  By all means come up with the lists ahead of time, but I wouldn't abandon the cards completely with new players.

I don't see why not.  They need the rules on the card, not the cards themselves, and those are available on a printout.

IMHO, the only reason to have cards everywhere is to make the game "look" like tournament XWM.

1 hour ago, heychadwick said:

If new players, I would not add in S-Foils.  It just complicates the game.

Agreed.

56 minutes ago, Faerie1979 said:

Are you kidding? Upgrade cards complicate the game. But it's a good sort of complicated. Granted, half the time I forget you can switch S-Foils between open and closed and why you want to do so.

Which only supports my KISS approach of printouts and forget about the cards.  That way, the upgrade card(s) is "built in" as the ship's special ability(s), especially if you are sticking with generics.

Once people get hooked on gameplay, you can take things up a level.

Edited by Darth Meanie

5 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

I don't see why not.  They need the rules on the card, not the cards themselves, and those are available on a printout.

IMHO, the only reason to have cards everywhere is to make the game "look" like tournament XWM.

...or any XWM, really.  I know some people use printouts regularly, but I think the vast majority use the cards.  (Personally, I have yet to actually see a player who doesn't use the cards.)  For new players, stick to the standard look/feel, rather than getting overly fancy with it.

Besides, it's just more fun handling cards, and it's easier to pass just one card across the table if you need to show what it does.

11 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

Which only supports my KISS approach of printouts and forget about the cards.  That way, the upgrade card(s) is "built in" as the ship's special ability(s), especially if you are sticking with generics.

Once people get hooked on gameplay, you can take things up a level.

And you completely missed my point. It's not the fact they are physical cards that complicates things. It's the fact the upgrades exist that complicates things. This T-65 X-Wing has Afterburners, but that one doesn't. This one has proton torpedoes, but that one doesn't. This one has Snap shot, while that one has Outmaneuver, and still a third one has Predator. Then you add in pilot abilities and different action bars various ships might have... It's really complex. But it's complex in a good way that's engaging.

That said, for complete newbies it may be best to have them set up with generic pilots that don't have pilot abilities, without upgrades, and using ships that don't have special abilities of their own.