TedW

Which Force powers would you like to see in the game?

10 hours ago, nitrobenz said:

@TedW This is fun, I can't stop thinking up new abilities now!

Welcome to my past three years :D I wish we had dedicated customs subforum here to discuss any potential ideas, ****, maybe the devs who would browse it could get some ideas themselves, or at least look at the feedback to suggestions that explain why certain things would or would not work :D

I also like your concept of emergency defense by sacrificing firepower or all Force (1-Force pilots would love those skills :P). The only thing I might be worried about is the practical application, especially by Deltas that are infamous for being tanky, very hard to catch and having access to regen outside combat. Then again, it does seem that any idea for a Force power is likely to benefit Deltas most, so I doubt we can do something about that. And besides, this post is about ideas first and balancing second :D

2 hours ago, Cerebrawl said:

Way too powerful.

I sadly have to agree on that, there's a lot of reasons as to why FFG made a rebalance on Pilot Skill (now Initiative) and why they avoid bringing back Veteran Instincts like wildfire. I think if any incarnation of Initiative increase was to pop up eventually, it'd need to be very specific (like Heightened Perception for example) and under certain circumstances and definitely not increase Initiaitve passively, since that would be just too easy to benefit from and having some pilots raise in the Initiative order might have too many unintentional consequences.

1 hour ago, JBFancourt said:

Strike Me Down (6-8p, light side, unique pilot):

After you are destroyed, assign the Spirit of the Master condition to a friendly unique ship that does not have force charges.

Spirit of the Master:

Flavor Text Only

Adds 1 recurring force charge to ship. 

Holy crap, that'd be a great thematic touch! Love the idea ;)

4 hours ago, JBFancourt said:

Strike Me Down (6-8p, light side, unique pilot):

After you are destroyed, assign the Spirit of the Master condition to a friendly unique ship that does not have force charges.

Spirit of the Master:

Flavor Text Only

Adds 1 recurring force charge to ship. 

Or maybe allow your Force power to be assigned to that ship in place of theirs. Just like Luke picked up Instinctive Aim in the movie.

EDIT: I remember this ability from the D20 RPG of Star Wars.

Malacia

Using the Force technique called malacia, the Jedi turns an opponent's equilibrium against him, causing extreme dizziness and nausea without any lasting effects.

So for X-Wing, the Force power could give the pilot a purple Jam action. Also, I would add the rules exception that this won't work against a ship that has the Calculate action.

Edited by SuperWookie

2 hours ago, SuperWookie said:

Malacia

Using the Force technique called malacia, the Jedi turns an opponent's equilibrium against him, causing extreme dizziness and nausea without any lasting effects.

So for X-Wing, the Force power could give the pilot a purple Jam action. Also, I would add the rules exception that this won't work against a ship that has the Calculate action.

I like it. I wouldn't worry so much about excluding calculate though since Droid stun is a common force power in the computer RPGs (I'm thinking of KOTOR in particular) and it might be too niche to make that a separate ability from regular stun.

3 hours ago, SuperWookie said:

Or maybe allow your Force power to be assigned to that ship in place of theirs. Just like Luke picked up Instinctive Aim in the movie.

EDIT: I remember this ability from the D20 RPG of Star Wars.

Malacia

Another possibility for the condition is (1)  as above for a non force user, or (2) for a force user some other effect like you mention.... oooo like keep your pilot ability in addition to your own. Ooooo maybe too powerful. Lol. 

2 hours ago, JBFancourt said:

Another possibility for the condition is (1)  as above for a non force user, or (2) for a force user some other effect like you mention.... oooo like keep your pilot ability in addition to your own. Ooooo maybe too powerful. Lol. 

My thinking was that, at the time, Luke isn't trained in the Force at all. So even if he had some Force points, he wouldn't have a Force power yet. For game purposes, if he did have a Force power then you would have to replace it.

4 minutes ago, SuperWookie said:

My thinking was that, at the time, Luke isn't trained in the Force at all. So even if he had some Force points, he wouldn't have a Force power yet. For game purposes, if he did have a Force power then you would have to replace it.

What do you mean by “force power” I guess I’m not tracking 😜

There's a lot of OP force powers suggested in this thread.

What about adding a force sensitive talent?

* Force Sensitive 8 Points?

+1 force

(* = limit 1)

or

* Force Sensitive 10 Points?

+1 force

Force upgrade slot 

6 hours ago, Cerebrawl said:

There's a lot of OP force powers suggested in this thread.

What about adding a force sensitive talent?

* Force Sensitive 8 Points?

+1 force

(* = limit 1)

or

* Force Sensitive 10 Points?

+1 force

Force upgrade slot 

I like the idea a lot, it would make sense that some of the pilots were Force-sensitive, even if they themselves weren't aware of it :) Although to make it more viable for the game, I'd suggest something like that:

Force-sensitive: (Requires Focus action; Non-limited only; Takes up Talent slot): +1^ Force; Your ship gains the 'Force' upgrade slot.

- It blocks access to Force to named pilots - some of them, like Wedge or Poe, could be really d a r n  scary with Force points and Force talents, and that might also start the debate about conflicts with the canon.

- Not limited but requires a Talent slot - I think it would make sense that Force would show more effect on pilots that are already trained, and opening up the option to cheap generics might cause some unintentional superpowered swarms. And besides, it lines up with the fact that in a huge galaxy, some no-names could also be Force-sensitive ;)

- Requires 'Focus' action on your action bar - Just for the fact that droids were never Force-sensitive (apart from one weird comic in the old canon, now Legends), so droid pilots wouldn't be able to pick this.

Sounds fair? :) How would you guys price this thing? :)

Edited by TedW
Elite Talent into Talent

18 minutes ago, Cerebrawl said:

Nitpick: Elite Talent is 1.0 nomenclature. It's just Talent in 2.0

Just so people don't get confused.

Ah yes, thanks, old habits die hard :D. Even now I sometimes call Initiative Pilot Skill :D Thanks for the correction! ;)

Something that allow you to browse your opponent damage deck and choose a pilot type damage card that could be assigned as a crit damage (force pull/shock could be something nasty, more so within a ships cockpit).

On 11/6/2019 at 8:14 AM, TedW said:

Mind over Matter: [Estimated cost: 8-20p] Action: Choose 1 other ship at Range 0-1. Spend 1-3 Force to assign that many Tractor tokens to the selected ship.

Mind Trick[Estimated cost: 10-18p] After an enemy ship at Range 0-2 spends a Focus token, you may spend 1 Force. If you do, that ship gains 1 Stress token, unless it spends 1 Focus token or 1 Force.

Mind Trick (alternate take): [Estimated cost: 12-25p] When you engage, you may spend 1 Force to choose an enemy ship inside your [Frontal 90 degree arc] and at Range 0-1. It may spend 1 Focus token or 1 Force. If it does not, you may force the ship to perform 1 Action of your choice which is on its action bar, declaring your desired direction and target if necessary.

Massive DO NOT WANT.  One major pain about the Nantex is that they both do ace play really well, as well as have a tonne of control.  Ace shouldn't have this much control.  I really don't think there should be control-based force powers.

Prodigy: [Estimated cost: 8-16p] +1 Force

I dunno.  I'm mixed.  I kind of imagine it'll happen eventually, but I'm not sure it's a great idea.

Serenity (Light Side): [Estimated cost: 8-18p] At the start of the End Phase, you may spend 1 Focus token to recover 1 Force.

Another simplistic idea, made to reflect the light-side version of Force-regenerating Hate and is in line with the light side being powered by calmness and focus. The major risk though is mostly with certain Jedi pilots paired with R2 astromechs, where their infamous tactic to 'strafe and run to regen' would likely be enforced, as it further rewards taking your time out of combat to hasten getting your Force back. Would you like to see Light Side powers in the game at all?

I'd do it a bit differently, but I think there should be a hate-equivalent of some sort which helps Light Side pilots gain force charges faster.  Personally, I'd go with "Action: Recharge 1 force."  Having having that focus option is a lot more flexible.  Probably too much more flexible.  The net result--1 action for 1 force--is the same, but you'd have to commit to it.  That fits in with 2e's general design, IMHO.

//

Two thoughts:

Jedi Reflexes (fairly cheap, between 1-3 points per base size) When you perform a red [barrel roll] or red [boost] action, you may treat it as purple instead. - Basically, a force talent version of Expert Handling or Engine Upgrade.  Seems fair.

Daring (3 points, small ship only) Essentially Daredevil for force users.  Maybe it's stress/red, maybe it's force/purple, but it'd be a way to do 1-hard boosts with a force user.  Possibly a bit more scary than Daredevil, since there's a lot more potential for to still have dice mods afterwards, but it seems like something along these lines would be interesting.