AradonTemplar

Rules Q- Encounter Card Order

Players can be dealt encounter cards during the game out of the villain phase (from running out of cards in deck and such). When resolving these cards, what's the exact correct procedure? Flip one card, resolve it completely, then move on to the next card? If it has surge, do you deal the card out face down, then finish resolving the card effect? Is the surge card dealt to the end of the queue, or immediately after the surge? (For instance, have two encounter cards dealt, first one surges, does the surge resolve 2nd or 3rd?)

And finally, with the Hazard icon, the rules say it deals out an additional encounter card. Is this per player, or does one odd card end up at first player?

I ask, because I just lost a solo game thanks to flipping up a Charge + Advance right before I was going to take him down :P

Would you mind giving an example of a surge card you have in mind? In 9/10 cases, you only surge when you can't fulfill something on the first card. Though I think there may be 1-2 exceptions to this. Either way you would fully resolve the first card, and then surge, and completely finish one player's encounter before moving on to the next. 

When you get the hazard icon, it adds one more encounter card to the whole party, in player order. So if you are playing with 4 people, and have 2 hazard icons, you do player 1's encounter, then player 2, then player 3, player 4, and then player 1 gets a second card, as does player 2 after that.

When a card surges, you fully resolve the card you are resolving then you immediately reveal the surge card (before the next card in your stack). 

Hazard adds one additional card for the group. 1st goes to 1st player, 2nd goes to second player, etc. 1st player resolves all of their cards before the 2nd player starts resolving theirs, etc.

Per the rules...  "After an encounter card with this keyword is revealed, the player resolving the card reveals an additional encounter card. Complete the process of resolving the original card before revealing the additional card."

You deal a card to a player.  If it has surge, you fully resolve it and then deal a second card to the same player.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm kind of surprised about the Hazard ruling, but I can see why. It's not as severe as I thought (though, in my solo games, I guess it's equivalent both ways). @SolidusPrime, there are some that have effects in addition to surge. Specifically, Weapons Runner and the Expert card "Under Fire" (which reads: Surge. When Revealed: Reveal the next card in the encounter deck.")

So with if I have two encounter cards dealt to me (because I had to reshuffle this turn, for instance), and the first is Under Fire. First, I deal the surge card facedown, then do the rest of Under Fire, which reveals the next card in the encounter deck. I resolve that one immediately, because it's revealed. Then, I reveal and encounter card #2, or the surge card?

Thanks again!

Actually I believe that when you run out of cards on the player deck, you are only dealt a card from an encounter deck, but you reveal the card later in the enemy phase.

On the rules under EMPTY PLAYER DECK  it says "That player immediately deals themself one card from the encounter deck." and under DEAL AN ENCOUNTER CARD it says "If a card ability instructs a player to be dealt an encounter card, the player takes the top card of the encounter deck and places it facedown in front of them. This card is not revealed at this time. This card is added to the queue of cards that player resolves during the villain phase."

This means you don't resolve any encounters out of the villain phase.

Edited by ffedericoni

Correct. I'm talking about being dealt a card, and it sitting in queue. The fact that your quoted rule says 'queue', though I think suggests the correct answer for my question. They're processed in a first-in,first-out basis. The card dealt early will resolve first, then the normal encounter card, and if either of those have surge, the surge card is dealt to the end of the queue.

27 minutes ago, AradonTemplar said:

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm kind of surprised about the Hazard ruling, but I can see why. It's not as severe as I thought (though, in my solo games, I guess it's equivalent both ways). @SolidusPrime, there are some that have effects in addition to surge. Specifically, Weapons Runner and the Expert card "Under Fire" (which reads: Surge. When Revealed: Reveal the next card in the encounter deck.")

So with if I have two encounter cards dealt to me (because I had to reshuffle this turn, for instance), and the first is Under Fire. First, I deal the surge card facedown, then do the rest of Under Fire, which reveals the next card in the encounter deck. I resolve that one immediately, because it's revealed. Then, I reveal and encounter card #2, or the surge card?

Thanks again!

Surge says you reveal the card, not deal an extra one, so you fully resolve the first card in your stack, then reveal a surge card, then do your second card in your stack.