Sign in to follow this  
arkiva

Xenos careers in "Into the Storm"

BaronIveagh said:

...I hate to say it but a quick poll of my players yielded a whopping 0% interest in the ork freebooter.  Kroot were a lot more popular an idea.

I've no doubt, but in many groups the opposite will be true.

Cat that Walked by Himself said:

in my group opposite is true. nobody would touch a kroot even with a hrud pole but ork freebooter is so popular that we would consider an all-ork campaign.

Tell me about, I can't speak for my group (some of which are new to 40K) but the whole Orky way seems to lend it's self to a roleplaying group. The whole anarchic society is easy for players to get their heads around and allows them to do what they want just so long is doesn't upset anyone bigger.

Face Eater said:

Cat that Walked by Himself said:

in my group opposite is true. nobody would touch a kroot even with a hrud pole but ork freebooter is so popular that we would consider an all-ork campaign.

Tell me about, I can't speak for my group (some of which are new to 40K) but the whole Orky way seems to lend it's self to a roleplaying group. The whole anarchic society is easy for players to get their heads around and allows them to do what they want just so long is doesn't upset anyone bigger.

Quite; and when it all boils down to it what they quite often want to do is blow things up with big guns. It could be quite a cathartic campaign.

It takes a player who is in the mood for pure hilarity to play an Ork, so my group might take a break from Ascension just to play Orks when this book comes out. It will definetly be interesting to see what the other one is.

@Quicksilver

Genestealers, I bet the other Xenos is Genesteelers!

The scary thing is that this might actually work (they're well-known, a large part of canon and capable of cooperating with humans... until it's lunch time for their bug overlords, at least), even though I can't see that many RTs knowingly aiding 'stealers.

Yeah, the old Genesteeler cultists that disapeared with 2nd edition.  To be fair, those were genesteeler/human hybrids, not true genestealers, but still who wouldn't want a Tyranid led cult on your ship?  That couldn't possibly cause any problems down the road.  Actualy, I was thinking of using a genestealer cult as part of an endeavor somewhere down the road...

Yeah, the old Genesteeler cultists that disapeared with 2nd edition. To be fair, those were genesteeler/human hybrids, not true genestealers, but still who wouldn't want a Tyranid led cult on your ship? That couldn't possibly cause any problems down the road. Actualy, I was thinking of using a genestealer cult as part of an endeavor somewhere down the road...

They disappeared? There's no codex for them anymore, but AFAIK they're still canon, aren't they?

Other than that, getting a position as a Rogue Trader's aide would indeed be perfect for a hybrid - there are not many positions in the Imperium where you have such good chances of spreading new cults as you go.

And of course, with a cult and a few purestrain stealers on board, you'd probably get some serious bonuses against boarders...

Hmmm, the recent review was fairly enlightening.  I wonder if that means we will be seeing what the other race is next week?  Hmmm, there's a few interesting possibilities from either a mechanic standpoint or a storytelling one.   The Demiurg are always a possiblity, if an unlikely one.   All we know is that they are a canon race that has had a large impact on the story.   And with the mention of a warp gate in Jericho Reach (Deathwatch) having a sister artifact somewhere clear on the otherside of the galaxy, the Tau empire might actually become a possiblity outside of the Kroot.

It's unlikely to be Dark Eldar, the Ork article seems to suggest that FFG is taking pains to avoid forcing players into set "alignments" with Xeno characters.  Vanilla Eldar are likely, and so are the Tau's friends the Demuirg (who might actually be cool.)

Out of all the races out there, the one that could lend itself to both Deathwatch and Dark Heresy as well for a career (Radical for Dark Heresy) would be an Eldar. They are known to be out there, outcasts are the perfect roleplaying option. And besides the Slaugth from DH they are the most geared Xenos next to the Ork, with more information on their gear being out there. So my guess shall be Eldar with the Class hopefully being Ranger or a Guardian with Ranger and something else for the paths.

Psion said:

... And with the mention of a warp gate in Jericho Reach (Deathwatch) having a sister artifact somewhere clear on the otherside of the galaxy, the Tau empire might actually become a possiblity outside of the Kroot....

The Warp Gate is the reason the Kroot are in the Expanse in the first place.  The new race should be the Kroot to build on that. They just gave us Eldar as the "Bad Guys" in LotE, so I don't think they'll turn around make them PCs so quickly. That said, I really hope I'm wrong. An Eldar PC would kick so much butt.

Jephkay said:

The Warp Gate is the reason the Kroot are in the Expanse in the first place.  The new race should be the Kroot to build on that. They just gave us Eldar as the "Bad Guys" in LotE, so I don't think they'll turn around make them PCs so quickly. That said, I really hope I'm wrong. An Eldar PC would kick so much butt.

I thought the Kroot were pretty wide-spread and a warsphere just came into the region normally?

Moving on to the mystery race; the more I think about it the more Eldar makes a sort of sense.  We're told that the other Xeno Career belongs to a canon race fairly well-known and the Ork Freebooter apparently has enough flexiblity that an "All Ork" game isn't out of the question.  It can be assumed that the other Career has a similar option.  If that is an actual criteria, then the number of canon races that could support a reasonably diverse selection of roles is not great.  Especially if you rule out the races that would force players into a specific "alignment" (such as the Tyranids and Necrons.)  In the end, that leaves the Eldar and the Tau (who are most likely not appearing before Deathwatch.)

Of course, this is all speculation and it's entirely possible that FFG picks a minor race that never really appears in the minis but keeps cropping up in the background fluff.

Psion said:

Of course, this is all speculation and it's entirely possible that FFG picks a minor race that never really appears in the minis but keeps cropping up in the background fluff.

You mean... Jokareo? lengua.gif

TorogTarkdacil said:

You mean... Jokaero? lengua.gif

Those the gorrila guys who make digital weapons?  Maybe them, maybe the Demuirg, maybe someone else entirely.  The possiblities go up once we include minor races.

Nothing has been said about the Kroot being in the Expanse because of a the Deathwatch Warp Gate.  The Kroot have had warp travel for centuries and could easily have arrived on their own after years of nomadic wandering.

As for the Demiurg, won't be them.  Too little known about them to support the creation of a Demiurg career.  They do have nice ships though.

Jokaero might not be be sentient and introducing one would be horribly broken when he starts cranking out digiweapons and other hyper tech.

Cynical Cat said:

Nothing has been said about the Kroot being in the Expanse because of a the Deathwatch Warp Gate.  The Kroot have had warp travel for centuries and could easily have arrived on their own after years of nomadic wandering.

The Kroot haven't actually had Warp travel that long - the technology (indeed, much of Kroot technology) came from Kroot consuming Ork Mekboyz, which only happened after the Ork invasion of Pech. While it is possible for Kroot to have travelled to the furthest reaches of the galaxy, they don't really have the same sort of control that human vessels have, and do still need to return to Pech frequently to share their genetic advancements with the rest of their species, which generally limits how far they're willing to travel from their homeworld.

N0-1_H3r3 said:

The Kroot haven't actually had Warp travel that long - (...) they don't really have the same sort of control that human vessels have, and do still need to return to Pech frequently to share their genetic advancements with the rest of their species, which generally limits how far they're willing to travel from their homeworld.

Doesn´t seem to limit them to much, so. "Lure of the Expanse" features some Kroot mercenaries as "side notes". (encountered on Footfall).

Gregorius21778 said:

Doesn´t seem to limit them to much, so. "Lure of the Expanse" features some Kroot mercenaries as "side notes". (encountered on Footfall).

Well that's the point - they've managed to reach the Koronus Expanse in spite of the inherent difficulties in doing so.

Hmm i doubt that it will be a kroot mercenary, whats a GM going to say when he begin eat  some tyranid? If the kroot ate a genestealer what would happen? would he die? become a genestealer? or get some very interesting traits?

Hmm i doubt that it will be a kroot mercenary, whats a GM going to say when he begin eat some tyranid? If the kroot ate a genestealer what would happen? would he die? become a genestealer? or get some very interesting traits?

According to For The Emperor, the kroot would notice the genetic corruption inherent in the 'stealer and not assimilate it.

N0-1_H3r3 said:

Cynical Cat said:

The Kroot haven't actually had Warp travel that long - the technology (indeed, much of Kroot technology) came from Kroot consuming Ork Mekboyz, which only happened after the Ork invasion of Pech. While it is possible for Kroot to have travelled to the furthest reaches of the galaxy, they don't really have the same sort of control that human vessels have, and do still need to return to Pech frequently to share their genetic advancements with the rest of their species, which generally limits how far they're willing to travel from their homeworld.

It's notable that they're there, but they've had warp travel for over a century and warp travel without Navigators isn't exactly reliable.  It's more than possible they ended up there on there own without the gate by simply getting lost in the warp and washing up in the neighborhood.  Of course they could have come through the Deathwatch gate, but it certainly isn't definitive (yet) that they did so.

N0-1_H3r3 said:

Gregorius21778 said:

Well that's the point - they've managed to reach the Koronus Expanse in spite of the inherent difficulties in doing so.

With warp, it isnt difficult for them to get there. Now if they were intentionally trying to get there, then that would be difficult.

The reason I could see Kroot not being the 2nd Career Xenos is mainly due to how they work in fluff and in reading of them. Kroot dont fight in mixed units and will only fight under a shaper so that they are able to more directly gain those traits which the race needs to survive. On the other hand, they would be fun on their own to play as well. I would still say Eldar especially if were going with the Jericho Reach warp gate as that is Eldar Tech not Tau or Kroot. Considering the only craftworld that passes through the Calixis Sector is Kaelor and as I haven't had the oppurtunity to go through the Adventure book of RT I dont know which craftworld they placed the Farseer and Warlocks from (I'll guess Iyaden due to the Wraithguard), But it could be any number of iconic races that live in the northeast sectors of the 40K universe. Hell, there are the Q'oorl as well who according to Xenology, engineered the Tau Ethereals to control that side of the galaxy and they are mentioned in the Radical's Handbook as well for DH. So who knows what the next shall be. I hope its Eldar just so that I can see the Ork Freeboota and the Eldar Ranger glare at each other all day.

Sarius said:

Hmm i doubt that it will be a kroot mercenary, whats a GM going to say when he begin eat  some tyranid? If the kroot ate a genestealer what would happen? would he die? become a genestealer? or get some very interesting traits?

In the Ciaphus Cain novels a kroot bites and spits out a dead stealer hybrid, saying they are corrupt.  Later when the kroot see they have taken a krrot body, the kroot alive shrage the stealers determined to get it back.  Therefore I would say the kroot have no truck with stealer and I suppose chaos as well from that.