Sign in to follow this  
Philip S

Resource: Chapter Colour Scheme Gallery + IAs

Dazzo and I have pulled together a gallery of all the known Space Marine Chapter colour schemes, canon and fan made alike, and created a gallery. All the images are rendered up using Bolter and Chainsword's fantastic Space Marine Painter. Our aim is to collect up 1,000 Chapters and have them all link to IA (Index Astartes - canon Chapters link the Lexicanum, most DIY Chapters link to IAs in B+C's LIBER ASTARTES). This would help fans check Chapter names when creating new Chapters, and maybe collaborate in fleshing out DIY chapters?

So far we have 720 Chapters listed, but I'm working on a new gallery with 834. Any input: missing canon chapters, fav homebrew not listed, etc  is most welcome!

= 1,000 Chapter Project Gallery =

Philip

PS: Update: I've updated the New Gallery with three sub-categories: Canon, DIY and MIA. 'Canon' lists all the official GW Chapters, 'DIY' are fan made chapters that have an Index Astartes, and 'MIA' are DIY chapters that do not have a link (lost - if you could help locate them that would be great!)

I think the weakest link in this project could very well be Lexicanum which I often find to be annoyingly incomplete or poorly implimented. Lexicanum on the whole could really do with a stong drive to update it and flesh it out but I dont see it happening. Don't get me wrong Lexicanum is a great tool for finding out things quickly but its lack of cohesiveness is a real problem.

Lexicanum annoyingly switches between wargame rules and background with very little indication which one the article is refering to.

I really like the idea behind the project although what happens if you get to 1000 chapters and you are still getting submissions, do you not add them or do you swap out chapters that don't have IA articles for ones that do?

Are you trying to portrey this as the actuall 1000 chapters of the Imperium or are you more interested with just providing insperation to people?

The reason I ask is that around 70% of the existing chapters should be Ultramarines successors. I also have a feeling that the majority of the bolter and chainsword chapters will not be Ultramarine sucessors so attempting to portrey the 1000 chapters in the project as the 1000 chapters in 40k lore would be difficult due to that massive dicepency.

Anyway keep up the good work.

Kaihlik

Kaihlik said:

The reason I ask is that around 70% of the existing chapters should be Ultramarines successors. I also have a feeling that the majority of the bolter and chainsword chapters will not be Ultramarine sucessors so attempting to portrey the 1000 chapters in the project as the 1000 chapters in 40k lore would be difficult due to that massive dicepency.

I find that if you just assume that any chapter that lacks an index astartes is an ultramarine-founded chapter, the numbers work out much better.

@ Kaihlik - I am considering using some of the fan made versions (found on B+C) of canon chapters that have not been fleshed out (spare Lexicanum entries). It would not be 'canon' (whatever that means lengua.gif) but a lot of player may find it useful in their games.

When we hit 1,000 Chapters I'll purge some of the weaker 'MIA' Chapters. The aim is to have 1,000 chapters with IA. However if more kept on coming it then I would add them - even if that goes well beyond 1,000. I figure fans could ignore the ones they do not like and make their own 'RPG' list, or simply pick the ones they like and claim there is 1,000.

@ jareddm - works for me gui%C3%B1o.gif

Philip

While it is a nice idea I would rather see two lists, one with official chapters and one with home brewed ones. This way a certain clarity would exist in case someone asks "is this kosher?" . 

@ Adam - you#re welcome mate ;)

@ Arag - I plan to mess about with the gallery code by using tags to show only specific groups of chapters in the gallery. So the tag 'canon' will create a gallery with just canon Chapters, DIY will bring up all the DIY Chapters with IA, and so on for MIA and founding etc.

If you look at this blog post: 'New Gallery for 1,000 Chapters Project' it show only the 1st founding (tag: 1st). It's still part of the main gallery, with the first founding Chapters extracted into a new gallery. The plan is to have a list of tags (like a tag cloud) and you can jump through them. The gallery has a tag cloud built in but it does not work right as it disappears in the tag based page, and it can't use templates like the regular gallery. It's a bit silly.

As such I haven't ironed out the kinks - but it should work *cross fingers*

I'll sort it out once I have more Chapters.

Philip

Top resource, Phil, fantastic work!

Might I make one tiny suggestion? (I know that unsolicited suggestions are irritating, so I apologise in advance!)

It would be nice to have some way to immediately spot the distinction between "Canon" chapters and "fanmade" chapters on the gallery. How about giving the canon chapters titles in red type and fanmade chapters in black type? It's only a little change, but it would immediately allow a visual searchable database of great utility...

Absolutely brilliant site, nice one! happy.gif 

EDIT: Gah, just noticed your answer to Arag's question, now I look like a fool! D'oh! 

Philip S said:

@ Adam - you#re welcome mate ;)

@ Arag - I plan to mess about with the gallery code by using tags to show only specific groups of chapters in the gallery. So the tag 'canon' will create a gallery with just canon Chapters, DIY will bring up all the DIY Chapters with IA, and so on for MIA and founding etc.

If you look at this blog post: 'New Gallery for 1,000 Chapters Project' it show only the 1st founding (tag: 1st). It's still part of the main gallery, with the first founding Chapters extracted into a new gallery. The plan is to have a list of tags (like a tag cloud) and you can jump through them. The gallery has a tag cloud built in but it does not work right as it disappears in the tag based page, and it can't use templates like the regular gallery. It's a bit silly.

As such I haven't ironed out the kinks - but it should work *cross fingers*

I'll sort it out once I have more Chapters.

Philip

Nice! This way you can even go further and tag stuff that goes even deeper like tags for successor chapters of specific legions or tags for different foundings.

Good work!

@ Lightbringer - Perhaps a different highlight border colour? I'll have a think on it (and how to do it!)

Any other ideas?

@ Arag - 'geneseed' is a tag I have planned, maybe even 'sector' too.

Philip

I've got two DIY Chapters, but haven't fleshed out too much backgorund, yet.

Anyway, I'll show them:

Archangels:

Archangel.jpg

Red Bulls ( tactical Marine and Terminator):

Red_Bull_Marine.jpgRed_Bull_Terminator_Invert.jpg

How did you get the chapter signs on the shoulder pad?

@ schmic1977 - Red Bulls? LOL. I guess the chapter symbol is two bulls squaring off?

There is already an Archangels chapter in the list, and another on the B+C forums. The best one will win out.

Philip

I can't make out the chapter symbol on the models, but the shapes look consistant with two bulls?

when you have an IA or album let me know and I'll add them to the gallery.

Philip

PS: 874 chapters in the gallery!

That painter thing is seriously, seriously awesome, for Deathwatch character sheets. Wonder if there is any chance of it getting updated to allow for the Deathwatch shoulder pad swap, and more chapter badges.

Anyone know if the person who wrote it is still around?

The person is still around and a Deathwatch Pad is already proposed. If it will be included is another question.

B&C works on updates for the Painter, but there is no mentioning when it will be done ( and what will be included ).

schmic1977 said:

Philip S said:

when you have an IA or album let me know and I'll add them to the gallery.

Philip

PS: 874 chapters in the gallery!

Then feel notified. :D

LINK

Your chapter has been added to the gallery (page 25). I also created an image for them (which can be found over on B+C)

Philip

Not to be too demanding, but while there are suppose to be about 1000 chapters it fluctuates as chapters are killed off and new ones are built. So you have some elbow room to have more or less than 1000 chapters.

The idea of the 1,000 Chapter Project is to list 1,000 current chapters (as in 'current 40K').

All the other chapters (traitor, renegade, etc. will be moved to a separate  list).

Having said that I'll treat the 1,000 chapters as a poetic 1,000 ;)

Philip