Dalli

BoFrost - About the evolution of double Firespray

The Firespray was always one of my favorite ships. When 2.0 was released I sold parts of my collection, from the Scum faction I kept two Firesprays. It was somehow always some kind of love affair, it’s an amazing iconic ship after all.  

I flew the Imperial Firesprays for the past five years, also at tournaments even though the Scum pilots were always a bit better. So I can say that I have some experience with the ship.

A couple of weeks ago a started to look into the ship class and possible squads by watching streams and checking other Firespray lists online. The next series of Hyperspace Trials was coming up and I wanted to lead the ship to success on this very specific tournament level. The result was my second Hyperspace squad for the second half of the Hyperspace series 2019: “BoFrost”.

Bevor I get into the details I want to share my thoughts on the ship selection, the Firespray in 2.0 in general as well as on the pilot Emon Azzameen.

Introduction

There are a lot of double-Firespray squads out there. Boba is a favorite, even though he got a bit expensive. You will encounter Emon the bomber just as often. I have a bone to pick with the latter, but more on that later (see below). I for my part went with Boba Fett and Koshka Frost.

So, why is Boba and Koshka in my opinion superior to Emon, Trellix or Kath?

Boba and Koshka are the only pilots that are able to re-roll defensive dice: Boba as soon as there is an enemy ship at range 1 and Koshka when she defends herself against a stressed ship. Also: their abilities trigger when attacking. This means that both pilots are able to produce results reliably, especially when you have a focus. The other three pilots are not that efficient. However, this doesn’t mean that their abilities are not interesting for a double-Firespray squad (with the exception of the generic pilot).

Krassis and Kath have great offensive abilities, but their use is rather limited.

Krassis is also hasn’t too much punch as all canons - with the exception of the heavy laser cannon and the autoblaster - rather focus on game effects than on damage. In addition: he can’t use the two damage focused canons not in his rear arc due to the missing bullseye. Kath, on the other hand, unfortunately, needs to fly with generics/blockers to make use of her ability, hence she is no good use for a double-Firespray squad.

Emon is in this “Top of the Mods” the worst pilot. The joke is on him as his oh so praised ability is at the same time an argument against him as bombs/mines do work differently in 2.0. As you have to drop devices/payload in the system phase you can’t slingshot a mine like in 1.0 anymore. Mines are an effective option to deal auto damage. That’s the reason why Emon was great in 1.0, especially for tournament players as they normally want to play save.

He is not that good anymore in 2.0 but why is he being played that often then?

His ability is tremendously cool. And it is absolutely possible to deal auto damage with a well-placed mine, but only if your opponent is chasing Emon. He suffers, as explained above from a lock of dice modifications. A ship that costs around 100 points (with upgrades), that only has 10 hitpoints, 2 green defensive dice and not enough options for dice modifications is, to put it mildly, mediocre. The biggest dazzler, however, is his ability. You might think that you are able to put those bombs and mines to better use than with other Firesprays. And a lot of players take a lot of them because they believe that they can drop all of them (and deal damage). The truth is there is no big difference to other Firesprays when it comes to dropping devices. Here are a couple of findings from my side:  

1. Emons’ lack of combat power makes a priority target. When I play against Emon/Boba lists I always go for Emon first, but only up to the point where I have to chase him. This will eventually happen as he will flee when your opponent realizes what you have in mind. In such situations, it is difficult for him to use his bombs and mines effectively as he either is already taken out of the game or turned tails to a degree where is not able to have an impact on the combat respectively the game anymore. Both scenarios are not acceptable for a double-Firespray list as you need to maximize your damage output.

2. Emon is predictable. Most of the time players will veer off with Emon to be able to use his ability and not to get killed in range 1 within two rounds of combat. When you notice this pattern and you delay your approach, there is nothing Emon can do. He will be a Firespray in range 3 with just one modification (focus). This can go up to the point where you simply will shoo him away. He needs more time to get back into position compared to other Firespray pilots as he can’t afford to fly red turns. Instead, he is “floating” slowly out of combat to get into bombing position. It is a common pattern and it is difficult for Emon players to not follow it as they risk to lose the opportunity to utilize his ability or to get in an even worse position. The other option is to not follow this pattern and to move in aggressively which will bring us back to the first point: Emon goes down fast.

3. The system phase of 2.0 is an issue for ships that rely on mines as they literally around too late. The assumption that you can use devices/payload more efficient is flawed. When both Boba and Koshka are equipment with mines/bombed I can place 3-4 of them in a meaningful way per game (either for tactical advantage or to deal damage); and those ships want to be close to the enemy ships due to their offensive and defensive modifications. With Boba and Emon there isn’t much of a difference as I can place 3-4 mines in a meaningful way as well (and Emon has way more payload available). Based on pure statistics there is no relevant difference when it comes to the utilization of mines. However, there is a difference when it comes to combat power. In order to make him more efficient in combat, you have to invest in Emon whereas the other Firespray pilots that have a better damage output can drop bombs already. There is plenty of footage available on twitch and Youtube that will prove my point.

Interim conclusion:

Other Firespray pilots can utilize mines just as efficient as Emon. When you use pilots like Boba and Koshka that want to get into range 1 you are quite often able to place our device just perfect and that literally on the fly without being too predictable. Getting Emon to the same combat level is possible but expensive and therefore not worthwhile.

Why is bombing important anyway?

Auto damage. Auto damage. Auto damage. The fewer ships you have the more important is it to find cheap and simple options to deal with damage. If you can’t do this you will have games that will last very long and that will be very close when it comes to the end results. This is a risk you should not take. Firesprays have, similar to the Decimator, a device/payload slot. You must use it!

The premise:

Emon was not an option as I wanted to use pilots that can provide better dice results and that are therefore more resilient I had to figure out what upgrades to use.

Both pilots need to fulfill the following requirements:

1. Additional focus modifications

2. Focus modifications after being blocked or flying red maneuvers

3. Focus modifications after performing a boost

4. Auto damage

5. Increasing damage output of primary attacks (bonus attacks, negate opponents defensive dice, etc.)

Boba Fett (85)

Crack Shot (1)

Jamming Beam (0)

Maul (12)

Proton Bombs (5)

Deadman's switch (2)

Hull Upgrade (5)

Total: 110

Boba was played with the Marauder title for quite some time. This allowed him an additional dice-reroll from the rear arc and to take along Han as Gunner. Triggering Han at the beginning of his engagement provides (together with the Perceptive Co-Pilot) two focus tokens. This also works when being blocked, which is pretty handy as Boba gets blocked quite often.

This nifty package got 9 points more expensive plus the points increase of Boba himself. Since the points update, this configuration is not being played very often anymore. This combination, however, fulfills the first three requirements listed above: Boba loves to have two focus tokens. Hence I tested this configuration nonetheless even though it meant that the Koshka had to slim down a bit. This was clearly a down-side. But there were more. You get the two focus tokens at initiative step 5 (when Boba activates) which is problematic against aces… and there are a lot of them flying around at the moment. Also, due to the stress, you get from Han you won’t be able to fly k-turns or talon-rolls or the 1 hard turn (one of the best maneuvers in the game). And if you do, you can’t trigger Han due to the stress you get from the maneuver. This loadout definitely has its benefits even though expensive but the drawbacks were too grave for me and therefore not an option.

For a couple of weeks there is a better option. Instead of Marauder, Han and Perceptive Co-Pilot you simply bring Maul, who is now Hyperspace-legal, along. You automatically get a force token every round. Taking a focus action on top will provide two modifications. Especially when it comes to two defense dice you don’t need more than a force (or calculate) statistically anyway. In case you get damage you can take a stress token to recharge the force right away. Ideally, can you get three focus modifications this way (you also would get the stress when using Han for two modifications). Most of the time you won’t be stressed which means you can fly all maneuvers. And you can use the force when flying a red maneuver, perform a boost or when you take a target lock  (in case Boba is not in range 1 to an enemy ship). Maul fulfills, just like the Han, the first three points of my requirements list. Boba and Maul are my new top team!

For auto damage, I picked proton bombs and deadman's switch. Mines are great while being in a scrum or when being blocked (without getting damage yourself) but due to the rise of popularity of the CIS swarms I rather went with the bombs instead. The deadman's switch is a little highlight. Everybody knows what it does and the tactical impact is sometimes unexpectedly phenomenal.

A brief example: Fenn Rau is in range 1 to Boba. Fenn has 1 hull point left. Boba has 2 hull points left. Fenn is not firing at Boba as it would mean that he would get killed as well in case Boba is being taken down. Boba wants to be in range 1 and the deadman's switch is both a provocation as well as protection. The upgrade is especially useful against swarm and lists with a lot of hit points as Boba will be the primary target. Requirement number 4 is therefore covered.

The crack shot is one shot, but it is a classic. No upgrade fulfills requirement number 5 as cost-efficient. It is “this” upgrade that lets you kill a ship instead of letting it get away with one hull left; we all know those situations.

The hull upgrade provides not only more beef but also the “magical” uneven number of hit points. It raises the chances (due to the defensive capabilities) to stay above half points or to simply not get shot down. It is a match-winning upgrade indeed.

Koshka Frost (70)

Crack Shot (1)

Jamming Beam (0)

0-0-0 (5)

Proton Bombs (5)

Rigged Cargo Chute (5)

Hull Upgrade (5)

Total: 90

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

Koshka is basically "Little Boba". She is capable of doing the same tricks (with potentially fewer re-rolls due to the trigger condition of her ability) for fewer points and a lower initiative. And she also brings a surprise for those obnoxious aces. I wanted to support Frosts' ability as much as possible even though most squads generate plenty of stress on their own already (linked actions, red maneuvers, abilities). This circumstance makes here almost as potent as Boba. With 0-0-0 she gets (when in range 1 to an enemy ship) either a calculate token or the opponent takes a stress token. This means she will have her double modification no matter what, a true win-win situation for Kohska. I prefer to boost towards ships that are already stressed to get the calculate (nobody wants to be double stressed, hence is rather going for giving you the calculate token). This gives you a re-roll and a focus modification which again combined with the crack shot will guarantee a high damage output. This will fulfill requirements 1,2,3 and to a certain degree also 5.

The rigged cargo chute is especially to deal double stress to aces and other pestering ships like shuttles, Decimators, etc. The rigged cargo chute needs to placed in a way that the enemy ship is moving through and overlapping the token at the same time; this requires a little bit of practice when it comes to maneuvering Kohska. This little trick will immobilize most of the ships in the game as the next maneuver will be predictable; to avoid being double stressed it will certainly fly a blue maneuver. This also has a positive effect on the bomb as a stressed pilot can't reposition to get out of the blast radius. As the rigged cargo chute is an action you can place both the chute and a bomb in the same round, and you still will get your modifications thanks to Frosts' ability and 0-0-0.

She is just as Boba also equipped with proton bombs and a hull upgrade, for the same reasons.

I played Koshka for some time with Marauder title and Dengar as gunner, but the effect was not as impactful as hoped (Dengar dealt 3 damage out of 14 opportunities). The rigged cargo chute, on the other hand, brings a guaranteed effect that supports Koshkas’ ability and provides a lot of tactical advantages.

BoFrost

Boba Fett (85)
Crack Shot (1)
Jamming Beam (0)
Maul (12)
Proton Bombs (5)
Deadman’s Switch (2)
Hull Upgrade (5)

Koshka Frost (70)
Crack Shot (1)
Jamming Beam (0)
0-0-0 (5)
Proton Bombs (5)
Rigged Cargo Chute (4)
Hull Upgrade (5)
Total: 200

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

Conclusion:

The two maxed out Firesprays have to be flown aggressively. They are good damage dealers, can kill small ships in no time and have the abilities and upgrades to deal with aces and swarms alike. If you fly against latter you should consider taking a reinforce when you approach them then your ships will become true tanks. The Firesprays are point efficient allrounders, that are brutal at close range. The 1 hard left/right maneuvers (not available in 1.0) help a lot to get into/stay in the fray. Dealing auto damage with a bomb is always great and the rigged cargo chute helps you to keep enemy ships at bay.

In the first Hyperspace Trials tournament, I reached the quarter-finals and was knocked out due to some unfortunate circumstances.

In the second Hyperspace Trials tournament, I reached the semi-finals and lost against a swarm (at this time I used mines instead of bombs).

In the third Hyperspace Trials tournament, I reached the final and was able to win it against another CIS swarm thanks to the proton bombs (I had to play three of those CIS swarms this day and the bomb helped tremendously).

From my point of view this ist the most optimized double-Firespray squad you can play at the moment.

you're the same guy who did the Rac Jerry right? 

I really value your approach and insights. I can definitely see you've gotten good results. But your successes seem very difficult to replicate for most people.

How high of a skill requirement is this list? I imagine things go south in a hurry when things go wrong. I don't suspect it to be super efficient either. 

I would have tried to approach the list building in a very similar fashion, with those criterion. And also came to the same conclusion that Frost seem like a very interest pilot to try. 

I do feel like Boba might be a bit over-nerfed on price, and that's something you have to "magic"ally fly to overcome. 

Nice list. I'd consider dumping rigged cargo chute and downgrading one proton to seismic for a bid, or for other upgrades, maybe give Koshka Andrasta(and let her be the one to keep proton) and a dead man's switch.

Dali, that list was awesome that day. I have learned to respect it and your list building. Plus you fly well. Thanks for teaching me a well deserved lesson that day when you soundly deaf eater my cis swarm in the second round of Swiss at Potsdam. I will never underestimate that list again. I look forward to flying against you again sometime soon. The proton bombs rocked my swarm.

Rick aka “Asomdeon”

Excellent stuff. Fantastic reasoning with the choices.

I'm a big fan of double Spray, Boba and Emon has been my most winningest list. I do think it's still very good, the points you make on that pair are all absolutely correct, but I believe they can be largely overcome with good flying. One thing you don't mention, is the Slave One title combined with a small bid, (4pt in my case). It's absolutely crucial to utilise that to it's fullest. I'll play into the obvious choices you have to make with these Sprays and react accordingly. It's a slightly singular approach and needs to be well thought out.

Seismic on Emon further helps leverage this. His ability lends itself well to opening and closing avenues from a much safer range.

STILL, you've pretty much convinced me that BoFrost has a decent edge over it. There's quite a bit of extra flexibility there. I imagine it has it a much better aggressive approach, when the situation calls for it.

Hey this was a great article. The one thing you said about having a 2 ship build and fining auto damage is a great point. I think this could apply to any 2 ships as they can least afford to lose a single ship more so than any list that includes 3 or more ships in them.

10 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

I do feel like Boba might be a bit over-nerfed on price, and that's something you have to "magic"ally fly to overcome. 

I really disagree. He's one of the very strongest pilots in the game, with always-on multiple passive mods (on offense and defense), high-initiative reposition, two 3-primary arcs to fire from, and unlike most aces, plenty of health to tank out. Also notable is that he has the slots available to kit himself pretty much however he wants; there are still good Marauder Boba builds out there, but Slave I is great at I5. Crew, Illicit, and Device offer more options that help with mods or stress-resistance.

He's doing very very well even with the poor wingmen available to scum right now. Reduce his points and you have a monster on your hands. He's pretty much perfect where he's at. My statistical model actually adds one point, but it's pretty close in any case.

I think the reason he doesn't seem that good is because too many I5s are quite a bit too cheap. Poe, Fett, and Fenn are excellent examples of how high-initiative aces should be priced. Vader, Soontir, Duchess, and especially Obi-Wan are incredibly underpriced (and most other jedi to a lesser degree as well).

Edited by ClassicalMoser

Here's an interesting alternative to Koshka.

Krassis Trelix (68)    
    Marksmanship (1)    
    Autoblasters (2)    
    0-0-0 (5)    
    Shield Upgrade (6)    
    Marauder (6)    
    BT-1 (2)    

Ship total: 90  Half Points: 45  Threshold: 6

This is an autodamage build alternative to using bombs.

The trick is that you're going to be able to force a lot of crits through if you can get shots out of enemy arc. Lack of bullseye in the rear is partially mitigated by the reroll from Marauder(in addition to Krassis' innate reroll with the autoblasters), and means that even behind you, the autoblasters can be a better choice if your target doesn't have arc on you. If you have bullseye on a stressed target out the front, and is out of their arc however... 2+ crits, coming through.

Between autoblasters and BT-1, you're virtually guaranteed to that your opponent will give you a calculate every time, instead of taking stress from 0-0-0, if they don't, well they pretty much guaranteed you'll be pushing a crit through.

Also this is a theme build with the evil droid duo. 😎

13 hours ago, Cerebrawl said:

Krassis Trelix (68)    
    Marksmanship (1)    
    Autoblasters (2)    
    0-0-0 (5)    
    Shield Upgrade (6)    
    Marauder (6)    
    BT-1 (2)    

Ship total: 90  Half Points: 45  Threshold: 6

This is an autodamage build alternative to using bombs.

The trick is that you're going to be able to force a lot of crits through if you can get shots out of enemy arc. Lack of bullseye in the rear is partially mitigated by the reroll from Marauder(in addition to Krassis' innate reroll with the autoblasters), and means that even behind you, the autoblasters can be a better choice if your target doesn't have arc on you. If you have bullseye on a stressed target out the front, and is out of their arc however... 2+ crits, coming through.

Between autoblasters and BT-1, you're virtually guaranteed to that your opponent will give you a calculate every time, instead of taking stress from 0-0-0, if they don't, well they pretty much guaranteed you'll be pushing a crit through.

Also this is a theme build with the evil droid duo. 😎

10/10 for theme, although I'd still run koshka myself.

Regarding auto damage, the sort of auto damage Dalli is talking about is in addition to your regular attack (so that means bombs, dengar gunner, dead man's switch, etc). Dalli originally had dengar gunner on koshka for this purpose, but he ended up dropping that and marauder to fit hull upgrades. While your Krassis is almost guaranteed to push through a crit a turn (if he's shooting an enemy from out of their arc), one damage per turn just isn't enough for a double firespray list.

On 10/26/2019 at 10:31 AM, Blail Blerg said:

you're the same guy who did the Rac Jerry right?

Yes. The list would be probably a 7 out of 10, if 10 is the most fastidious grade. It is a highly efficient, flexible allrounder list that always offers many options. I am convinced that others can also win tournaments with it. I think the consistently good results speak for themselves.

On 10/26/2019 at 12:10 PM, Cerebrawl said:

I'd consider dumping rigged cargo chute and downgrading one proton to seismic for a bid, or for other upgrades, maybe give Koshka Andrasta[...]

The cargo chute is the most important remedy against everything unpleasant and highly bred. Aces, decis, shuttles, and much more. In a tournament you will face randomly such things. You will need it. It has won many difficult games for me where all other upgrades would have failed.

13 hours ago, Cerebrawl said:

Krassis Trelix

As I have already explained, Krassis does not do any damage and is unfortunately poorly positioned defensively. The autoblaster only works well in the Bullseye and only if the opponent doesn't have you in the arc. It is by far the less efficient choice and therefore no alternative for me.  I'm not looking for an alternative either, because the list in theory and practice has already been optimized and such builds have been sorted out early on. 😀

28 minutes ago, Dalli said:

The cargo chute is the most important remedy against everything unpleasant and highly bred. Aces, decis, shuttles, and much more. In a tournament you will face randomly such things. You will need it. It has won many difficult games for me where all other upgrades would have failed.

Any special tricks for dropping it? I imagine you just fly over them and drop it on the enemy ship's head. I've not used rigged cargo in ages, I'm looking forward to having another go with it.

On 10/28/2019 at 11:58 AM, gadwag said:

Any special tricks for dropping it? I imagine you just fly over them and drop it on the enemy ship's head. I've not used rigged cargo in ages, I'm looking forward to having another go with it.

You can provoke an overlap with the target ship as first step. If it is a small ship you can turn oder bank with the 1 in a meaningful direction and underlay it to the opponent in such a way that he immediately gets a stress and afterwards has to fly over it again. The whole thing can also be combined with a bomb you drop right before, since most maneuvers lead the target ship into the area of such a bomb and cannot be readjusted because of the stress (e.g. barrel roll or boost).

Against bigger ships you have to fly longer maneuvers. However, you should try this before, because it may not be possible that the opponent flies 2 times over.

In all cases you have to be close to your opponents ship.

On 10/26/2019 at 4:02 AM, Dalli said:

If you can’t do this you will have games...that will be very close when it comes to the end results.

The fact that close games are viewed so negatively is one of my biggest grievances with X-Wing.

34 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

The fact that close games are viewed so negatively is one of my biggest grievances with X-Wing.

Close games are fun games, and I certainly enjoy them the most, but only because both players are trying to win. No one plays any game aiming to "barely win". You can't criticise someone for trying to make a competitive list be better than other lists.

22 hours ago, JJ48 said:

Close matches are common in X-Wing 2.0. And close matches are a sign of good balancing. They are the most fun. Personally, I like scarce matches in general. But not on tournaments in every game. Because at tournaments it is extremely exhausting to win every game by a narrow margin. It is not and cannot be the goal of a tournament player to use lists that constantly produce scarce games. It sucks resources that you need for the important games. And then they are often scarce.

In this respect, the generalization of your statement is not correct. X-Wing 2.0 very often produces scarce results. But a tournament player doesn't want them.

Another Off-Topic twist. Maybe we're talking about the experiences someone made with the list? 😀

Edited by Dalli

Great analysis! Thanks for taking the time to explaining your findings in detail.

I've been running double Firesprays almost exclusively for the last six months and it is reassuring to learn we have both come to broadly the same conclusions.

Boba with Maul crew is amazing. At range 1 of an enemy the re-rollls and Force mean your damage and defence dice are consistent even if you don't get an action. Personally I like to add the Slave 1 title to give me options during activation. It makes the ship harder to predict and more flexible, doubly so because of being able to take shots from the front or rear arc.

I have been using Emon for a long time, and love the way he can play with bombs. Add the Andrasta title and Delayed Fuses and it is possible to really cause trouble for the enemy with your Protons and Prox Mines. BUT, like you, I don't think Emon is good enough in combat. Even with Perceptive Copilot enough damage isn't pushed through. A player with experience against Emon can work around the bombs - even sacrifice a shield or two - and cripple him with a round of focused attacks.

As an alternative to Emon I have tried Krassis with Cluster Missles and had some success, especially against mini swarms. But as you say, the lack of defensive mod also means that Krassis gets hurt badly by concentrated fire. I haven't tried Snap Shot on Krassis but my rough maths says it will be roughly as effective as Dengar gunner, but Dengar is a simple 50/50 roll on a red dice, not a bonus attack, so has the same odds whether against a 3 agility ace or 1 agility hulk. Also Dengar and a Cluster Missile bonus attack can trigger in the same turn, but not so with Snap Shot and Cluster Missiles combined.

Personally I haven't had much luck with Koshka Frost. I haven't been able to get her ability to trigger consistently and I have found this frustrating. But also I haven't tried Rigged Cargo Chute so that is now on my list. On Koshka I include Marauder title for an offensive mod out the rear, along with Dengar for some some bonus damage output.

Finally bombs or mines are essential on both of the Firesprays. Protons, Seismics and Proximity Mines are all excellent and have strengths against different lists. For Boba I prefer Proxies for the chance to dump 1-3 damage on an enemy ship and get immediate results. It pairs well with the Slave 1 title and I get good results with this combination in almost every game. Protons are my choice for the second 'Spray, using them to hurt swarms or corral aces.

Thanks again for sharing your insights and you have convinced me to give Koshka more table time.

I took dalli's list for another run last night, and boy I love firesprays. Koshka lined up in a decent spot and happily ignored the ion damage from broadside, Boba boosted around a rock to catch anakin with his rear arc, bomb threat forced my enemy to disengage - it was just great.

1 hour ago, ClassofSixtyNine said:

It pairs well with the Slave 1 title

I don't think the slave 1 title actually makes a meaningful difference in mine locations. Maybe off the 1 hard, but certainly the banks shoudn't make much difference

9 hours ago, gadwag said:

I don't think the slave 1 title actually makes a meaningful difference in mine locations. Maybe off the 1 hard, but certainly the banks shoudn't make much difference

Hard turns definitely. Less in the actual location of the mine, than the location of the Spray in relation to it. The mine between you and them, or not. Either can make a huge difference to the following damage trade and board control, depending on the situation, so having the choice on activation at I5 is pretty neat.

I definitely found myself leaning much more on hard turns than banks with Slave 1. Maul crew/Han Gunner do work against it somewhat though, as the blue banks are generally less impactful choices.