Sign in to follow this  
ScummyRebel

Clone Primer: wraithbone or corax white

Hey, 

Looking for some primer ideas for the clone troopers. I have grey seer (too dark IMO) and I have rustoleum white. My stormtroopers were hard white prime only plus fill in the colors, then wash. The wash made them look super dirty.

Trying to do this right. I saw Sorastro’s method on stormies with a light grey (he explicitly shows corax white) plus a hardware store or other true white sprayed above. I was wondering if anyone has tried wraithbone as the off white instead, and how that worked out for them.

I don’t have an airbrush and tried hand painting some grey primer on a few of them, but I’m not happy with the result and don’t want to continue on the others that way.

I used Army Painter's Matte White spray primer, then Apothecary White contrast paint from Citadel to shade, and filled in the body suit and the details on the helmet with Army Painter Matte Black as the last step. You can check out my thread linked below to see how they turned out.

27 minutes ago, CT-4661 "Abbi" said:

I used Army Painter's Matte White spray primer, then Apothecary White contrast paint from Citadel to shade, and filled in the body suit and the details on the helmet with Army Painter Matte Black as the last step. You can check out my thread linked below to see how they turned out.

Did you just do an all over of the armor with the apothecary? Or was it more limited in application?

Those turned out nice!

On 10/25/2019 at 2:56 PM, CT-4661 "Abbi" said:

I just did an all over of the armor. Nice and easy.

I just did a fast test last night on one of my Barc crew members. Really impressed with the apothecary white considering how much bad press it’s gotten as a paint.

Thinking i am going to use it for all my clones in the corps/support role, then take extra time on my Captain Rex or any other hero clone minis coming.

Thanks for the technique tip! Way better looking than my original stormtroopers.

11 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

I just did a fast test last night on one of my Barc crew members. Really impressed with the apothecary white considering how much bad press it’s gotten as a paint.

Thinking i am going to use it for all my clones in the corps/support role, then take extra time on my Captain Rex or any other hero clone minis coming.

Thanks for the technique tip! Way better looking than my original stormtroopers.

Happy to help!

On 10/31/2019 at 7:35 AM, ScummyRebel said:

The bad press is a combination of inflated expectations and people flat out using it wrong.  To be fair to the critics, you need to shake this well and then apply it over something with a bright undercoat and manage it in thin layers.  Not just slap on one thick coat and walk away.

But in my hands it’s worth having.

Edited by BigBadAndy

On 11/2/2019 at 11:20 PM, BigBadAndy said:

The bad press is a combination of inflated expectations and people flat out using it wrong.  To be fair to the critics, you need to shake this well and then apply it over something with a bright undercoat and manage it in thin layers.  Not just slap on one thick coat and walk away.

But in my hands it’s worth having.

^ what he said. That aside though, go down to your hardware store, find a "paint and prime" (plastic suitable can, a lot of companies do them now) satin white and use it for a base coat. Improved my stomies 100% over other offerings I have access to although I haven't seen army painter/Tanya undercoat in action