Sign in to follow this  
TasteTheRainbow

What do IGs need to live in the current meta?

4 minutes ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

The IGs had a truly terrible worlds 2019 showing.

Do they just lack the needed tools or would a small points reduction be useful?

It's super hard to say. Their base stat-line is so good. And it would be totally false to say that single-arc ships or medium-base ships aren't doing well (I mean, just look at U-Wings!). It probably is just a matter of cost; these things want to be kitted out, but I4 doesn't really fly for a 2-ship list and a decent kit doesn't leave room for a 3rd ship. I think that's the main problem. They're super efficient, but they're definitely not TIE Defenders, yet they're priced almost like TIE Defenders. Just 2 points off each would make a huge list-building difference for them for sure. 1-2 points off Ion cannon, cheaper TrajSim, and cheaper illicits in general would also give them some truly excellent options. I really think that's about all they're missing.

So I love me some IGs. I nearly took an IG list to Worlds, but it just couldn't hold up.

The problem I have with IGs is that the only way I have been able to get them to really hold their own is to give them Advanced Sensors. I think a lighter build that has Contraband Cybernetics is also a decent choice, but when they are competing with Guri in the same price bracket they struggle to hold up.

As @ClassicalMoser mentions, the third ship is actually the problem. The IGs would really like a solid support ship in the 40-50 point price range, and that just doesn't really exist in Scum. I've been playing around with a lot of stuff, and Scum's choices in that 40-50 range are pretty terrible. Give them something there and you might have a really slick squad.

5 minutes ago, Micanthropyre said:

As @ClassicalMoser mentions, the third ship is actually the problem. The IGs would really like a solid support ship in the 40-50 point price range, and that just doesn't really exist in Scum. I've been playing around with a lot of stuff, and Scum's choices in that 40-50 range are pretty terrible. Give them something there and you might have a really slick squad.

100% agree on Advanced Sensors. My best success has been with a generic Quadjumper as 3rd with IGD crew. Generates passable calculates or provides nuisance tractor support.

Still not very good and my own experience is anecdotal at best.

Edited by ClassicalMoser

The Aggressor has a co-pilot seat, so I think a crew option could go a long way in the chassis. 

Informant to battle high inits.

Tobias and Qira to help with rock placement and freedom of movement.

4lom or zuckuss to help land ion cannon shots.

Maul is expensive but gives some force power

Latts provideds a bit more defense.

Lando probably the best option, spending one of the two calcs for rerolls, both offense and defense

Edited by wurms

I played with a light weight IG88A build last night, but didn't play a second IG with it.  The other 2 ships were Adv Sen Guri and 4-LOM.  I was passing tokens around similar to a CIS drone list, which was kinda cool.

Guri (64)
Crack Shot (1)
Advanced Sensors (10)

IG-88A (68)
Fire-Control System (2)
IG-2000 (1)

4-LOM (49)
Fire-Control System (2)
IG-88D (3)
Total: 200

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

The local meta really doesn't have any bids, and removing the Fire Controls and Crack would be enough to when most bids around here.

I thought IG88A was doing pretty good along with Guri, but 4-Lom didn't feel as good for some reason.

What I've noticed with the IGs is that they throw an awful lot of dice on both offense and defense.  Because of that, double calculate isn't great for them.  Makes for really hard decisions (and thus lots of opportunity to make an incorrect decision) on whether to spend on offense or defense.

Heavy Linked Cannons. Cannon Upgrade, unsure on points.

While performing a Cannon attack, if that weapon instructs you to inflict tokens instead of damage, you may inflict tokens in addition to damage instead.

And yes, this would also be usable on B-Wings and Gunboats.

Edited by PhantomFO

IGs are best when played in denial lists. 

They don't want to get hit. They want to dissect the opposing squad. They are not formation flyers--they are surgical anarchists. They do a terrible job of destroying things, but an amazing one at disrupting them. 

Give this a try. Put your opponent on rocks, rob them of tokens, deprive them of agility, stress them with 4LOM. It's infuriating to play against. 

IG-88B (64)    
    Passive Sensors (3)    
    Tractor Beam (2)    
    Jamming Beam (0)    
    IG-2000 (1)    

Ship total: 70  Half Points: 35  Threshold: 4    

IG-88A (68)    
    Passive Sensors (3)    
    Tractor Beam (2)    
    Jamming Beam (0)    
    IG-2000 (1)    

Ship total: 74  Half Points: 37  Threshold: 4    

4-LOM (49)    
    IG-88D (3)    
    Mist Hunter (2)    
    Tractor Beam (2)    

Ship total: 56  Half Points: 28  Threshold: 5   

Total: 200 

To exist in the Meta Brobots needs to be led by excellent player. 

I believe atm there's only one successful player playing Brobots: @dotswarlock (Philipe Painchaud).

It's pleasure watching him on stream (even if it's in French). 

I took Brobots yesterday to our Wednesday maneuvers at LGs and I've failed miserably landing on the rocks every second turn. It was disaster :) They need lot of practice. 

I'm 0-2 with this list, but they were close and it's really fun:

IG-88B (64)    
    Tractor Beam (2)    
    Proximity Mines (6)    
    IG-2000 (1)    
Ship total: 73  Half Points: 37  Threshold: 4    

IG-88A (68)    
    Tractor Beam (2)    
    Proximity Mines (6)    
    IG-2000 (1)    
Ship total: 77  Half Points: 39  Threshold: 4    

Constable Zuvio (35)    
    Pattern Analyzer (5)    
    IG-88D (3)    
    Proximity Mines (6)    
Ship total: 49  Half Points: 25  Threshold: 3    

Total: 199    

Lots of things would help them. 

Price reduction so you can play three and still upgrade them. 

A much better cannon option. 

An EPT that only helps droids might work too.

The biggest issue I have is that you can't advance sensor boost and get an evade in 2.0

Things Inthink to make the IGs work:

1.  Title to be Zero points.  

2.  A cannon that requires both cannon slots.  Something similar to the old HLC.

3.  An illicit worth taking.  Contraband Cybernetics is good, but feels like it isnt enough.  

I am not one for dropping points to solve problems.  Initiative 4 does not help, but it does not hurt either.  The lack of action efficiency in an offensive way is lacking.  Boos w/ evade only helps defense.   

IG-88B (64) Fire-Control System (2) Ion Cannon (5) Contraband Cybernetics (3) IG-2000 (1) Ship total: 75 Half Points: 38 Threshold: 4 IG-88C (65) Fire-Control System (2) Ion Cannon (5) Contraband Cybernetics (3) IG-2000 (1) Ship total: 76 Half Points: 38 Threshold: 4 Constable Zuvio (35) Pattern Analyzer (5) IG-88D (3) Proximity Mines (6) Ship total: 49 Half Points: 25 Threshold: 3 Total: 200 View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Scum and Villainy&d=v8ZsZ200Z82XW113WW11WW92WW151Y83XW113W11WWW92WW151Y140XW206W36W70WW&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

Seems fine.

I'm the guy who's insane enough to bring my IG-88 to tournaments and I have a blast with them every time, on top of winning most of my games.  Won a tournament with them on tuesday as well, so yay!

Point reduction over the past 2 point updates and price hikes on other meta lists have helped a whole lot so that they feel "just right" at the moment.  They are at a stage where any point reduction could not really help beef up a 2 ship list (aside from opening a possible bid).  It might create some wiggle room for a 3 ship list, but I honestly think that IG-88s are not meant for 3 ship builds.  My personnal opinion is that a lightly equipped IG-88 is basically an overpriced tie defender, so if they are built with that mindset then there are better options elsewhere.

The problem with IG-88 is that unlike Metalists, the build itself is barely 25% of the driving force behind its success or failure.  Asteroid placement (turn zero), initial positionning, initial manoeuvers, probability awareness and strategic engagements play a huge role how well they perform.  A weakness in any of those creates a though matchup before the game even starts.  They are hard to fly, but man are they fun!

Would a new upgrade help?  Possibly.  A sepcialized upgrade could be added to the game, but my personal opinion is that it would have to be built so that it cannot be combined with IG-88B (in order to open the door to other IG combinations).  Anything too crazy and you end up creating another type of nightmare entirely, one that would be hard to remove.