Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

Kylo Ren Says ...

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

If an opinion uses hyperbolic imagery (example: dumpster fire) and is not factually accurate and isn’t internally consistent with someone’s other opinions, it doesn’t add anything to a serious discussion of art. 

I've given several reasons why I (and others) dislike the movie, people who are advocates of the movie just ignore/dismiss our reasonings....

 

Like I said earlier. I don't have a problem with people liking the movie. It's people having a problem with ME disliking it (shown in your quote). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Alpha17 said:

There's a difference of not expressing your opinion about certain subjects and not being respectful to an individual.  I can say that I hate item X and how terrible it is, without hating or insulting you, a person that is a passionate fan of item X.

 

And why would you even care about said warning points?  The system just seems more than a little silly to me, and is so easily abused as to not be helpful. 

Except that simply isn't the case.

I've been through a fair share of these TLJ threads. Often times when someone says opinion X, they imply that people who disagree with opinion X are lesser for believing so. 

Heck, Mr. @R3dReVenge over here made the statement "I notice that the people who enjoyed the movie most were liberals. There is nothing wrong with this, but it's an accurate observation. Though the general fan consensus was pretty negative." 

While he's outright stating there is no negative implications, without any factual data to support this it is an accusatory statement. 

I understand what your saying but both sides are implying their opposition of being "lesser" for their opinion at this point. 


r3D over here just did it "People can't cope" is saying anyone who disagrees with opinion X is somehow deficient. Then went on to say "these individuals are truly lost."


 

19 minutes ago, Alpha17 said:

And why would you even care about said warning points?  The system just seems more than a little silly to me, and is so easily abused as to not be helpful. 

Mostly the bans... 

 

 

13 minutes ago, R3dReVenge said:

If you're worried about your account then make a new one. 

T4O4NIg.png
 

Edited by Darth Sanguis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, LunarSol said:

The subject of soundbite culture is pretty fascinating/horrifying.  You can definitely read entire books on the subject.  I see a lot of people like to put its origins back to the rise of the 24 hour news cycle that was mostly created to cover the OJ trials and the riots that followed.  Truthfully, a lot of the problems we see have always been a thing (peasants with pitchforks and all) but its now been normalized as part of our daily routine.  Personally, I think the tipping point was the implementation of Web 2.0 and the concept of "comments"; which is where we created a scenario in which everyone was fighting for attention with small bursts of information.  It's essentially how riots form, but in this instance there's nothing tangible to target, so rather than explode into violence it just sits perpetually in the incite phase.

Good point. I also blame the rise of the Internet for the decrease in civility and rational discourse. We thought it lead to a great expanding of everyone’s horizons — “Wow, our classroom can video conference with another classroom around the world” — but the reality is that it has become so easy to seek out people who think like we do and share our interests that we have gotten out of practice tolerating those who don’t. Why bother getting along with the guy next door when you can just go into cyberspace and try to surround yourself with people who are less difficult? It doesn’t help, either, that if you take a nice, normal person and give them the ability to communicate anonymously, with no real consequences, they can occasionally morph into raging jerks. 

If Archie Bunker and George Jefferson can have a conversation, the rest of us ought to be able to get along well enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

If an opinion uses hyperbolic imagery (example: dumpster fire) and is not factually accurate and isn’t internally consistent with someone’s other opinions, it doesn’t add anything to a serious discussion of art. 

I feel like one problem is one side’s hyperbole is being considered acceptable and “just my opinion”, and the other’s is not. It’s socially acceptable for me to say “TLJ was my favorite Star Wars movie!” but not acceptable to say, as you put it, “it was a dumpster fire.” Both are hyperbolic, both are subjective, and both cannot be objectively quantified.

I don’t have a problem with people who disliked the movie. I don’t have a problem with people who like the movie. We can have different opinions and be fine.

I do have a problem with both sides when they let the argument carry over years later, particularly in a thread that was about a net new product. I also have a problem with people who cannot tolerate the fact that someone holds the other opinion (not saying you were, just saying in general).

@the Group as a whole:

Can we all just put TLJ behind us? It is what it was, and no one is changing it. We don’t need to get into the same debates again and again.

Critics of the movie: please let it go. I don’t like it either, but I don’t choose to let it ruin my experience of life. I can enjoy the things I enjoy without losing my mind about the things I do not.

Fans of the movie: stop feeling the need to defend it at every turn. You enjoyed a movie. Great! Nothing is wrong with that. You’re contributing just as badly as the ones complaining about it by insisting on leaving every statement unchallenged.

Now, I don’t want to see any other threads about our plastic space men or about another movie or show get hijacked into this argument again. Deal? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

Heck, Mr. @R3dReVenge over here made the statement "I notice that the people who enjoyed the movie most were liberals. There is nothing wrong with this, but it's an accurate observation. Though the general fan consensus was pretty negative." 

Don't assume my gender!

7 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

r3D over here just did it "People can't cope" is saying anyone who disagrees with opinion X is somehow deficient. Then went on to say "these individuals are truly lost."

People can't cope is my response to people who lash out at other's due to differing opinions. What would be your explanation for these people?? My logic is if someone CAN cope with differing opinions then they will #1 Ignore my post entirely. #2 OR Respond without the insults / hate speech / etc. 

If someone is going to insult another due to differing opinion, then I feel sorry for these people. I really do. Hence "these individuals are truly lost"

11 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

Mostly the bans... 

It's just an online account. Don't stress over it. It means nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

I feel like one problem is one side’s hyperbole is being considered acceptable and “just my opinion”, and the other’s is not. It’s socially acceptable for me to say “TLJ was my favorite Star Wars movie!” but not acceptable to say, as you put it, “it was a dumpster fire.” Both are hyperbolic, both are subjective, and both cannot be objectively quantified.

I don’t have a problem with people who disliked the movie. I don’t have a problem with people who like the movie. We can have different opinions and be fine.

I do have a problem with both sides when they let the argument carry over years later, particularly in a thread that was about a net new product. I also have a problem with people who cannot tolerate the fact that someone holds the other opinion (not saying you were, just saying in general).

@the Group as a whole:

Can we all just put TLJ behind us? It is what it was, and no one is changing it. We don’t need to get into the same debates again and again.

Critics of the movie: please let it go. I don’t like it either, but I don’t choose to let it ruin my experience of life. I can enjoy the things I enjoy without losing my mind about the things I do not.

Fans of the movie: stop feeling the need to defend it at every turn. You enjoyed a movie. Great! Nothing is wrong with that. You’re contributing just as badly as the ones complaining about it by insisting on leaving every statement unchallenged.

Now, I don’t want to see any other threads about our plastic space men or about another movie or show get hijacked into this argument again. Deal? 

Good point. As much as I hate TLJ, I have high hopes for the next one (odd) Sometime I get caught up in the internet drama. Back to the clinic for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, R3dReVenge said:

It's just an online account. Don't stress over it. It means nothing.

I'm not really worried I was just using my history of abusive behavior, inappropriate language, and overtly sexual imagery to make a (bad) counter point.  lol

Edited by Darth Sanguis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Alpha17 said:

So you don't mind people having a different opinion, but how dare they actually express their opinion, or explain why they hold that opinion because you find that disrespectful?  To whom?  And why should anyone be obliged to dance around certain issues so as not to be "disrespectful"?  

Taking it out of Star Wars, I find Ranch dressing and sour cream disgusting.  I hate 'em, and think that products with either flavor are a waste of space, and should be thrown away, ie, are garbage.  Is that disrespectful to fans of either?  Or am I just expressing my own, honest, and perfectly valid opinion on the subject?  

I think you misunderstood me, or I didn't express myself clearly. 

I think that everyone have the right to their own opinion and express it. But, I think that sharing an opinion, be it positive or negative, can be done in a respectful and civil manner, and that better words can be chosen to express how much you hate a movie,  book, painting, or whatever without discrediting the opinion of the other party.

I personaly think, and saw from personnal experience (especially during the last two years while trying to discuss The Last Jedi), that people that resume their opinion by using the words '****' or 'garbage' or 'dumpster fire' don't really want to discuss the subject and won't really aknowledge the other person point of view. So, when I come around this kind of expression of opinion, I already know, from multiple past experience,  that no good will come from the discussion, so it's better to just avoid it and discuss it with someone that is willing to discuss it in a respectful manner, willing to acknowledge that the other side might not share your opinion. Same goes for people that love the movie that will discredit the other side by implying that they didn't like it because they're too stupid to understand it. If I didn't like the movie, and came across this kind of remark, I would not waste my time arguying with him/her either. Both those extreme comments only serve to put oil on the fire without really bringing anything to the discussion. It paints the person in a entrenched position unwilling to understand the other side opinion (it could not be the case, but why risk wasting time trying to find out). By saying that you think a movie is trash, you're implying that nobody in their right mind should be able to enjoy it, because noboby love trash (except for those very very very special case :P).

Now to be clear, it's not that I don't acknowledge the other side opinion, I do. I know that a lot of people hate the movie. It's just that I already know, from the past 2 year experience, why the other side don't like the movie and think it is 'trash' or 'garbage'. So why bother and waste my time on this kind of discussion that would just be a repeat from all the other discussions from the last 2 years? I know from the beginning that he won't change his mind, I won't change mine, we'll both say arguments that both side already heard a couple of time, and nothing will change. Nobody will grow from this kind of discussion. Better move on and discuss another subject instead of wasting the time for both party. If I am to take the time to discuss a movie or any other kind of art, I prefer to do it in a respectful manner with someone not discrediting the other side opinion, so that it's a not a waste of time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2019 at 9:17 AM, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

 

CHILL

ketr17kyyeu31.png

All the less than friendly banter on the other threads need to chill 😎

Legion has been the friendliest and most welcoming of the mini boards.  Let’s keep it that way.  We don’t want to scare off the new bantha poodoo we will crush before us  prospective gamers.

 

HAVE WE ALL FORGOTTEN KYLO"S MESSAGE?!!

ef690129f76d76ab11f7cbedbeeb2d14de47b556

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...