Sign in to follow this  
Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

Kylo Ren Says ...

37 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

That's what I've run into... I tried watering down the wash as well as adding a white medium. The best results I had were on my custom E-web troops which I took a great deal of time tracing the edges with diluted nuln to profile the details.... still not great up close...

06sXnKs.jpg

Bl5RdVt.jpg

I had the same problem w/ mine. Vallejo has a grey wash that works well as a happy medium between wash & not changing up the base color too much. You can also try thinning washes w/ airbrush flow improver or varnishing the models before washing to help it not stick to the flatter surfaces. I have heard adding dish soap to washes makes them flow smoother too but have not tried it. 

untitled.JPG

8 minutes ago, codytx2 said:

I had the same problem w/ mine. Vallejo has a grey wash that works well as a happy medium between wash & not changing up the base color too much. You can also try thinning washes w/ airbrush flow improver or varnishing the models before washing to help it not stick to the flatter surfaces. I have heard adding dish soap to washes makes them flow smoother too but have not tried it. 

untitled.JPG

I've tried a few of those tricks. They do give different results. I'll have to look into that Vallejo line. I'm finding that Vallejo has a very good product line. I got a spray varnish from them for a Zoids model kit I was painting in a colorshift paint, and it left such a fine smooth coat. Top quality stuff. 

sS1hd5b.jpg

For now I'm likely sticking with the plan for the contrasts on my Republic guys. The testing had positive results. 

1 minute ago, Darth Sanguis said:

I've tried a few of those tricks. They do give different results. I'll have to look into that Vallejo line. I'm finding that Vallejo has a very good product line. I got a spray varnish from them for a Zoids model kit I was painting in a colorshift paint, and it left such a fine smooth coat. Top quality stuff. 

For now I'm likely sticking with the plan for the contrasts on my Republic guys. The testing had positive results. 

I love the Vallejo paint line. The majority of my Legion minis are all Vallejo paints. I dabbled a bit in GW paints because I was struggling to find the right colors when I bought into a little WHU, and I do like the contrast line. But overall I’m going to stick with Vallejo long term for conventional paints.

I may try the grey wash. So far my plan was the Sorastro stormtrooper model: light grey prime, spray prime white from above + angles up. Paint the black/dark areas, add some grey lines at joints and white highlight on the top of the raised white bits.

Just now, ScummyRebel said:

I love the Vallejo paint line. The majority of my Legion minis are all Vallejo paints. I dabbled a bit in GW paints because I was struggling to find the right colors when I bought into a little WHU, and I do like the contrast line. But overall I’m going to stick with Vallejo long term for conventional paints.

I may try the grey wash. So far my plan was the Sorastro stormtrooper model: light grey prime, spray prime white from above + angles up. Paint the black/dark areas, add some grey lines at joints and white highlight on the top of the raised white bits.

Just so time intensive! But yeah, his stuff is top notch. 

4 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

I don't have a local source and found a good online place for Vallejo so it is all I've used so far. I have heard good things about the contrast paints though. A friend is using it for his droids and so far they look good. Last thing I discovered with washes is if you sprayed your base coat and it is acrylic let it dry up to a day as a wash can reactivate the paint and start to mix with wash. A very dingy looking set of stormtroopers taught me that one.

10 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

Just so time intensive! But yeah, his stuff is top notch. 

Oh yeah, it is. I just don’t have a better way to paint the white armor of the clones. I’ve never done that method so I’m a bit worried how it’ll go. Looks super time intensive and aggravating for someone who is still far from a paint master. Especially for the corps troops.

5 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

Oh yeah, it is. I just don’t have a better way to paint the white armor of the clones. I’ve never done that method so I’m a bit worried how it’ll go. Looks super time intensive and aggravating for someone who is still far from a paint master. Especially for the corps troops.

Well if all else fails, I'm sure once I get to my clones I'll be posting about them here. You'll get to see how my contrast method works out lol

1 hour ago, Dcalov said:

It occurs to me some of you may not have read my master thesis. (JK, I didn't write it, but I love it as if it's my own).

Obi-Wan doesn't need to be on the high ground, the high ground just needs to exist within the battle; Obi-Wan knows that when he has the low ground, he really has the high ground, from a certain point of view; see Diagram A.

This is the best tactical analysis of Obiwan Kenobi's abilities I have seen in a long time. If you apply this to legion, all you need is make sure your terrain is not flat so you can take advantage of the different alleviations. Your victory will be assured.

8 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

after spending about 8 hours to churn out just 2 stormtrooper squads, I'm moving on to contrast paint to see if that helps. The plan for clones and future storms is: Corax white spray primer OR Army Painter white spray primer (depends on how light or dark I want them), apothecary white contrast paint to get the shading I want, vallejo gloss white over all major armor surfaces and raised areas, then the black/gray detailing.

39 minutes ago, codytx2 said:

untitled.JPG

What's that ground cover you're using? I love it.

10 minutes ago, buckero0 said:

What's that ground cover you're using? I love it.

Army Painter brown battleground & battlefield grass. I cover the whole base with Elmers glue, haphazardly sprinkle the battleground (you can create footprints, trails, small mounds, etc), then dip in the grass. 

untitled.JPG

20 hours ago, Red Castle said:

I personally love to discuss the movies with others. I love Star Wars so much that I just can't get enough to talk about it and sharing my personnal perspectives. I'll always respect the other point of view. Where I draw the line is when the other starts to use words like '****', 'garbage', 'worst things to ever happen', 'objectively bad', 'SJW', 'Mary Sue', etc... I mean, there is better way to express your opinion about a movie than just being disrespectful and spitting on what other people love.

So you don't mind people having a different opinion, but how dare they actually express their opinion, or explain why they hold that opinion because you find that disrespectful?  To whom?  And why should anyone be obliged to dance around certain issues so as not to be "disrespectful"?  

Taking it out of Star Wars, I find Ranch dressing and sour cream disgusting.  I hate 'em, and think that products with either flavor are a waste of space, and should be thrown away, ie, are garbage.  Is that disrespectful to fans of either?  Or am I just expressing my own, honest, and perfectly valid opinion on the subject?  

Why are they a waste of space that should be thrown away if other people like them?  I cook food I don't like all the time for people that enjoy it.  I despise ranch and sour cream myself, but society is just a little bit better if I'm willing to sacrifice a dollar every now and then to provide it to friends who enjoy it.  That's a sentiment that's apparently lost these days.

6 minutes ago, Alpha17 said:

So you don't mind people having a different opinion, but how dare they actually express their opinion, or explain why they hold that opinion because you find that disrespectful?  To whom?  And why should anyone be obliged to dance around certain issues so as not to be "disrespectful"?  

Taking it out of Star Wars, I find Ranch dressing and sour cream disgusting.  I hate 'em, and think that products with either flavor are a waste of space, and should be thrown away, ie, are garbage.  Is that disrespectful to fans of either?  Or am I just expressing my own, honest, and perfectly valid opinion on the subject?  

A really good take and it explains why the last thread got closed. People can't cope with other's opinions.

When I compared Rey to "Mary Sue" or go on about how she has no weakness depicted in the film causing her to become uninteresting and the movie to lose relevance and someone responds with name calling or saying that I "hate" women.

I just start laughing because these individuals are truly lost.

6 minutes ago, LunarSol said:

Why are they a waste of space that should be thrown away if other people like them?  I cook food I don't like all the time for people that enjoy it.  I despise ranch and sour cream myself, but society is just a little bit better if I'm willing to sacrifice a dollar every now and then to provide it to friends who enjoy it.  That's a sentiment that's apparently lost these days.

They are a waste of space that could be used for things that I do give value to.  You can give value to them because of your empathy for others, while I do not have to do the same.

As for your example, I don't understand why.  If you don't enjoy it, it becomes hard to gauge on how you're doing.  I enjoy cooking for others, but cooking something you think tastes terrible is like painting with your eyes clothes; you're always going to be at a disadvantage.  You'd be better off cooking something you both can enjoy, and leave dishes you hate for others to make.

2 minutes ago, R3dReVenge said:

A really good take and it explains why the last thread got closed. People can't cope with other's opinions.

When I compared Rey to "Mary Sue" or go on about how she has no weakness depicted in the film causing her to become uninteresting and the movie to lose relevance and someone responds with name calling or saying that I "hate" women.

I just start laughing because these individuals are truly lost.

Both sides are guilty of it, and that likely includes myself.  I tend to agree with you about Rey being a Mary Sue (the simple fact that she was right when Luke was wrong throughout TLJ, upsetting the Master/Apprentice balance is enough evidence for me), but I will say that Star Wars probably has several such characters, and thus it isn't the most damning of accusations.  I disagree with it, but I've heard of both Revan and Mara Jade Skywalker as being described as Mary Sues.  To each their own I guess.

11 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

Yeah! Why should I have to be respectful of anyone? 

BTW could you perhaps make this argument to the mods here, I have some warning points I want removed. 

There's a difference of not expressing your opinion about certain subjects and not being respectful to an individual.  I can say that I hate item X and how terrible it is, without hating or insulting you, a person that is a passionate fan of item X.

And why would you even care about said warning points?  The system just seems more than a little silly to me, and is so easily abused as to not be helpful. 

EDIT: And if we're going to avoid criticizing a subject because of some perceived disrespect, shouldn't we also do the opposite, and refrain from complimenting or expressing our enjoyment of things that other hate?  I mean, by enjoying it you must be insulting those that didn't!

Edited by Alpha17
Make a point people won't like and likely won't get.

19 hours ago, LunarSol said:

It also helps that the skeleton of the prequels is overall pretty strong.  Palpatine orchestrates a conflict that pushes him into a position of power and uses the ensuing chaos to remove any limitations to that power.  There's not even that much wrong with the plots of the individual films, which let them enter a state where they're pretty entertaining from a wiki-description level memory of events.  The problem with them is entirely in the details; the specific lines of dialog, the way characters interact, is all pretty messy.  Anyone who's played Queen's Gambit knows that the actual concept of TPM's finale is pretty brilliant conceptually.  It's just that the actual act of watching it loses a lot of the appeal when you have squirm through being told that spinning is a good trick and the like.

Yeah, my biggest problem with the prequels is that the backstory alluded to in the original films was more compelling than seeing it actually happen. Though, the prequels opened up the universe in a big way and brought in more new concepts — of varying quality — than I feel the sequels do. 

12 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

Yeah! Why should I have to be respectful of anyone? 

BTW could you perhaps make this argument to the mods here, I have some warning points I want removed. 

Warning posts???? Bud, this is an online forum discussing Star wars. Warning posts mean nothing. This website means nothing. It's just a place to kill some time when you're bored (or in my case when I'm waiting for my next appointment). 

If you're worried about your account then make a new one.