Sign in to follow this  
Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

Kylo Ren Says ...

The subject of soundbite culture is pretty fascinating/horrifying.  You can definitely read entire books on the subject.  I see a lot of people like to put its origins back to the rise of the 24 hour news cycle that was mostly created to cover the OJ trials and the riots that followed.  Truthfully, a lot of the problems we see have always been a thing (peasants with pitchforks and all) but its now been normalized as part of our daily routine.  Personally, I think the tipping point was the implementation of Web 2.0 and the concept of "comments"; which is where we created a scenario in which everyone was fighting for attention with small bursts of information.  It's essentially how riots form, but in this instance there's nothing tangible to target, so rather than explode into violence it just sits perpetually in the incite phase.

4 hours ago, LunarSol said:

As someone whose basically given up on Star Wars entirely due to how miserable the discussion has become, I have to say that the Ep9 thread was the friendliest and most engaging discussion on the matter I've had in the two years since the film's release.  

As much as the talk around Star Wars is just toxic and trash it would make a very interesting documentary:

• George Lucas himself can probably get his own mini series with how much love/hate the guy gets. Saw a video the other day with someone feeling bad for him since Disney did not go with his ideas for 7. The man himself who gave us Jar Jar, "I hate sand", and keeps on adding bad CGI to the original movies and people now take his side?!?!?! I know I will always be in the camp that Star Wars is now safe from the man who seemed to steal anything he wanted from EU while at the same time feeling like he despised it all and the fans to boot(now seeing Star Wars fans up close I can sort of understand his views lol).
  • The prequels are now loved??? I am still shocked by this one. The comics, games, and books around the prequels I always enjoyed, but the movies themselves? Crazy world we live in when we get videos "20 things the prequels did right" or people straight us saying "the prequels are the best movies". Really thought Redlettermedia was the final say to these movies, but the sags continues in a very strange direction.
  • The most interesting discussion you can now find is the fight over TFA and TLJ. You can find it all: toxic fan culture, culture wars, harassment, blind love of an IP, and the get views no matter what machine. Reading comments and reviews it always feels like Star Wars has two different fan base. Which is an interesting result and would be fun to discusses and look at how/why. Because I will be honest I always thought Star Wars was somewhat political and always had clear views and was not even subtle about it. So I always find it so interesting to see how some fans just take messages and views that in my opinion just seem so opposite to Star Wars. Like if ANH came out today I would love to see the reaction Liea would get today since she is sassy, no real flaws, she saves the guys, has no bra (duck tape lol) and has a strange hairstyle. Real interesting talks could be had.

Like if you told me just a few years ago that there would be a decent chunk of the fan base would be fighting tooth and nail to stop more Star Wars movies or to get George Lucas back I would not believe it. Of course I am still in the camp that believe that we are living in the best possible time to be a Star Wars fan and I admit that my views do align with the message being put out there now. So maybe I am just one of the lucky ones.

Edited by RyantheFett
spelling

6 minutes ago, RyantheFett said:

Of course I am still in the camp that believe that we are living in the best possible time to be a Star Wars fan and I admit that my views do align with the message being put out there now. So maybe I am just one of the lucky ones.

I’d agree if EA didn’t have the video game license. 

1 hour ago, R3dReVenge said:

Some people take offense when someone posts an opinion that they disagree with. 

TauntaunScout loves to rile everyone up by asking "I don't get why people don't like TLJ....."

No. But not a year has gone by since 1991 that I haven't purchased, painted or played with some sort of Star Wars miniatures. Also, hunted down vintage merch to collect. This, despite me giving all the prequels a flunking grade. So, why people would leave the fandom because they don't like the sequels, I just don't get. It's downright scary to me that because people don't like Episode N+1, they abandon their love for episodes N, N-1 and N-2.

1 hour ago, R3dReVenge said:

He's begging for another thread lockdown/debate.....

I would put 99% of the blame for that lock on you. I wasn't going to name names but, since you brought it up.

Edited by TauntaunScout

Just now, TauntaunScout said:

So, why people would leave the fandom because they don't like the sequels, I just don't get.

Let's be real. They aren't.

Go look up the seat reservations at your local theater for EP IX on Thursday night. I'd bet even money there's already seats claimed. Mine is Half full already. It's been 4 days since the tickets were announced. 

Just like folks who threaten to leave the country if so-and-so are elected, it's all hot air. 

28 minutes ago, LunarSol said:

The subject of soundbite culture is pretty fascinating/horrifying. 

My ignorance is equal in value to your knowledge. Anyone who disagrees with me is just a hater. Don't get me started on these so-called experts. We'll just agree to disagree on whether or not that dog across the street is a giraffe.

Edited by TauntaunScout

28 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

No. But not a year has gone by since 1991 that I haven't purchased, painted or played with some sort of Star Wars miniatures. Also, hunted down vintage merch to collect. This, despite me giving all the prequels a flunking grade. So, why people would leave the fandom because they don't like the sequels, I just don't get. It's downright scary to me that because people don't like Episode N+1, they abandon their love for episodes N, N-1 and N-2.

I would put 99% of the blame for that lock on you. I wasn't going to name names but, since you brought it up.

You know I don't like the sequels? What do you think I want?????

But I did reserve 5 seats for episode 9 (I'm not leaving the franchise).  I have faith in Abrams. Maybe he can fulfill my #1 want in a Star Wars movie....

51 minutes ago, Red Castle said:

I personally don't like the prequels. I tried, and am still trying to like them (just started a Star wars marathon with friends leading to Episode 9 and we're watching Episode 2 tonight). I even watch them with the mindset to focus only on the positives (because even though I don't personnally like them, I admit that there is still some good things/ideas in them) instead of what I don't like about them. But even though I don't like them, I don't go around describing them as 'piece of ****' or 'garbage' when I talk about them. I respect that other people might like them and that spitting on them, insulting them, only serve to create a division that should not be there in the first place. 

10 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

This, despite me giving all the prequels a flunking grade.

Glad I am not the only one who does not like the prequels still. Watch them now as background noise for when I play Legion and i sort of hate them more each time. Funny enough I am okay with Jar Jar. He is still bad, but there are worse things in that movie. The CGI is just bad in 1/2 and is just overused in the worse way (really CIG Yoda AND all the clones whyyyyyy!?!?). Makes me wonder if he kept redoing the OG trilogy just to make the look as bad as the prequels??? The battles are pretty bad as well, rewatching the arena fight scene and looking at the background is just a treat. I really thought ALL the acting was bad, but the prequels memes/re watching now made me realize that no could not make any of those lines sound good (I apologize to all the actors I gave a hard time to all these years). 

On the other side Ian McDiarmid kills it in RotS and makes me think no one can do Palp wrong so bonus points for RoS. And yet somehow his greatness and all the cool ideas makes me hate the rest of the movies more. I guess its because he tricks everyone so bad in the movie it truly makes everyone look like an idiot......

P.S.  Someone I am not sure where pointed out that 1 & 2 are pretty much a repeat of the same movie since 1 kills both the main hero/villain while two reintroduces all the characters, the state of the world, changes everyone's personality, and then starts the Clone Wars at the very end. Which brings the strange event in that George Lucas had to rush through a dozen major plot points in just one movie lol.

And yet here I am waiting for my next CIS units, reading a prequel book about Dooku, and thinking about how much fun the Clone Wars GameCube game was.

22 minutes ago, LunarSol said:

I’d agree if EA didn’t have the video game license. 

The one massive giant mistake that Disney has done with the IP. We now get a book every few months and 1 to 2 comics a week, but their video game side has crashed and burned. Sort of hope Fallen Order fails hard in order for EA to lose the IP. Lucas games would be another interesting subject to talk about between the quality of the games to their releases. Another interesting topic for Star Wars fans to talk about and maybe demand better of, but wait we got to talk about how Rey is an awful character again!!

6 minutes ago, RyantheFett said:

Glad I am not the only one who does not like the prequels still. Watch them now as background noise for when I play Legion and i sort of hate them more each time. Funny enough I am okay with Jar Jar. He is still bad, but there are worse things in that movie. The CGI is just bad in 1/2 and is just overused in the worse way (really CIG Yoda AND all the clones whyyyyyy!?!?). Makes me wonder if he kept redoing the OG trilogy just to make the look as bad as the prequels??? The battles are pretty bad as well, rewatching the arena fight scene and looking at the background is just a treat. I really thought ALL the acting was bad, but the prequels memes/re watching now made me realize that no could not make any of those lines sound good (I apologize to all the actors I gave a hard time to all these years). 

On the other side Ian McDiarmid kills it in RotS and makes me think no one can do Palp wrong so bonus points for RoS. And yet somehow his greatness and all the cool ideas makes me hate the rest of the movies more. I guess its because he tricks everyone so bad in the movie it truly makes everyone look like an idiot......

P.S.  Someone I am not sure where pointed out that 1 & 2 are pretty much a repeat of the same movie since 1 kills both the main hero/villain while two reintroduces all the characters, the state of the world, changes everyone's personality, and then starts the Clone Wars at the very end. Which brings the strange event in that George Lucas had to rush through a dozen major plot points in just one movie lol.

And yet here I am waiting for my next CIS units, reading a prequel book about Dooku, and thinking about how much fun the Clone Wars GameCube game was.

I think the reason Clones Wars manages to still get love from people who don't like the prequels (outside of general interest in the animated series) is that the idea of the clone wars is really very strong. Had they made some better choices in scripting the movies could have been very compelling. 

Edited by Darth Sanguis

It occurs to me some of you may not have read my master thesis. (JK, I didn't write it, but I love it as if it's my own).

Obi-Wan doesn't need to be on the high ground, the high ground just needs to exist within the battle; Obi-Wan knows that when he has the low ground, he really has the high ground, from a certain point of view; see Diagram A.

Look at his battle record:

Maul: Has low ground, wins Example A

Dooku: No high ground, loses

Dooku rematch: No high ground, loses Example B.

Greivous: Has low ground, wins Example C

Vader: Has high ground, wins

Vader rematch: No high ground, loses

Obi-Wan with the high/low ground is canonically the most powerful Jedi. This is fact. Had Yoda not denied his request to battle The Senate with typical Jedi arrogance, Obi-Wan could have defeated Palpatine in the Senate building, which housed a variety of different altitudes; this was designed so that the Chancellor could always have the moral high ground in political debates. But Obi-wan didn't fight The Senate, and Yoda soon learned that you can't cleave the Sheev in a normal 1v1. It took the Tusken Raiders years of conflict against Old Ben Kenobi to grasp his superiority in terrain advantage, as you see them visibly flee in ANH when they realize he holds the low (inverse-high) ground; this was the optimal strategy against a near-invincible opponent.

Yoda is shorter than virtually every other fighter, which gives him a permanent low-ground disadvantage; however, his saber-fighting style utilizes a flipping-heavy technique in order to negate this weakness for a temporary window. You'll notice that, after falling from the central podium in The Senate's building, he immediately retreats upon realizing he is on the lowest ground. You'll also notice that, while training Luke, he rides on him like a mount, to gain the intellectual high ground and accelerate Luke's training. Example D . Obi-Wan's defensive Form III lightsaber style synergizes with his careful military maneuvers; as he only strikes when prepared, he can always hold the strategic high ground. (The business on Cato Neimodia doesn't count.) You'll come to realize that this is why Commander Cody's artillery strike failed against Obi-Wan, when hundreds of Jedi were killed in similar attacks. Cody failed to grasp the strategic situation, as the Jedi Master's elevation was superior to his by hundreds of meters, making him virtually unkillable. (You'll notice that all the Jedi killed in Order 66 were on level ground with the clones, thereby assuring their demise.) Had Cody taken his time and engaged the Jedi on even terrain, he would have succeeded. Obi-Wan subsequently retreated under the surface of the lake, so that he could maintain the topographical low/high ground. This is why Obi-Wan is so willing to fight against impossible odds to the point where he thrusts himself in immediate danger; when your probability of victory is 1-to-10, you have the statistical (and therefore strategic) low ground, a numerical advantage when you use your point of view to flip the value to 10/1 . Almost losing is, in Obi-Wan's case, certain victory. (See Example E).

As we all know, spinning is a good trick. However, only the Chosen One can spin outside of a starfighter. Palpatine tried spinning, but he lost due to this technique (but this was intentional, as losing gave him the emotional high ground when Anakin arrived). The reason for this is that spinning provides a yin-yang approach to combat (based in Eastern philosophy on balance), giving the spinner the high ground from above and below. Only the Chosen One can master the spin, as it is their destiny to maintain balance in the universe. This is why Obi-Wan was so emotional after defeating Vader on Mustafar; he expected to lose the high ground to the spin, but Anakin fell to the dark side and could no longer use his signature trick, becoming the very thing he swore to destroy. Additionally, Anakin told Obi-Wan that, from "[his] point of view, the Jedi are evil". This broadens Anakin's mind to the concept of relativity in the context of the moral high ground, a mere step away from tactical comprehension.

Anakin doesn't hate sand for the reasons he told Padme; all Jedi hate sand, as the battlefield can rapidly change between low and high ground on multiple vectors, so your perspective must be from a certain three-dimensional point of view in order to comprehend who holds the high ground. This is the only reason why Obi-Wan killed Maul in Rebels. This is also the reason why Obi-Wan hates flying; there is no gravity in space, therefore there is no high or low ground from any frame of reference (This also negates the spinning trick, as noted in Example F).

In ANH, Vader proves his newfound mastery by engaging Obi on perfectly even ground. However, Obi-Wan intentionally sacrifices himself on the Death Star, so that he could train Luke from a higher plane of existence, thereby giving him the metaphysical high ground Example G.

Why was Vader so invested in the construction and maintenance of the Death Star? Because he knows Obi-wan can't have the high ground if there's no ground left. Image A. As seen through the events of the Clone Wars, Obi-Wan was known to be on friendly terms with Senator Organa, whose homeworld held large quantities of mountainous terrain, the perfect habitat for a Jedi Master. Grand Moff Tarkin was already in position to destroy Alderaan as a first target, as the distance from Scarif to Alderaan was too vast to reach between the escape and recapture of the Tantive IV, even at 1.0 lightspeed. Alderaan had been the initial target all along, as Obi-Wan with the high ground was the primary threat to the Death Star. How? Because a moon-sized space station would have some form of gravitational pull, thereby negating Obi-Wan's zero-gravity weakness; Obi-Wan with the perpetual high-ground in a low-orbit starfighter would easily be able to fire proton torpedoes through a ventilation shaft, although the Empire was uncertain of the specific weakness of the Death Star planted by Galen Erso (who was a good friend).

In Return of the Jedi, you can see that the Throne Room contains a variety of different altitudes; Palpatine placed these there to ensure Vader's defeat. However, Sheev failed to realize that his weakness was no ground, and should have covered that useless gaping pit which does nothing.

A common misconception is the idea of a 'prostrate position' version of the high ground, wherein Obi-Wan lies flat on his back, giving him tactical superiority from his point of view. However, this strategy is futile, as for the high ground to come into effect, there must be a differential between parties on both the x-axis and y-axis to a moderately significant variation from both absolutes (Angles only a Sith would deal in). For Obi-Wan's high ground powers to be in full effect, he must stand between 15 and 75 degrees (π/12 to 5π/12 radians) diagonal from his opponent(s) on any quadrant of the area circle; this has been dubbed the Trigonometric Perspective Diagram. (Diagram B). The total effect for conventional high ground advantage can be calculated via the MetaComm Equation, or f(x) = lim 0→x π/12 | 7π/12 5π/12 | 11π/12 Ʃ(x) (2tan(x) / 3sin(x) + (log10Δ)) * cΦ

Δ = distance on hypotenuse (meters)

Φ = Surrounding Force [c (variable) * β (Earth Gravity) * (pressure (psi)/2.2)]

'x' refers to the angle of contact between the two parties on, with advantage being based purely on position on the Y-axis, as the vast majority of force users base their perception on elevation rather than spacial relativity.

The power of gravitational force has great effect on the high ground; too weak, and the high ground holds no traction; too strong and the ground becomes the real enemy. Experimentation has proven that the high ground typically holds significant value between .8 and 1.4 β (Earth Gravities) with maximum impact standing roughly equal to 1.05.

Pressure is equally important, as it is a surrounding force attached to gravity (the high ground has famously low impact in aquatic environments). Pressure(λ) is measured in pounds per square inch (psi), to be used as a gravity multiplier (or division if pressure is sub-atmospheric; Φ (Surrounding Force) is a variable defined as β * 2.2λ , with no metric value assigned due to its singular application in the MetaComm equations.

In situations regarding Obi-Wan and his relativistic point of view, you must substitute the Quadrilateral MetaComm Equation (the Jedi Master function), f(x) = lim 0→x minmaxƩ (2tan(x) / 3sin(x) ) * (1.2)cΦ [min = (|cos(x)| = 1) | (|sin(x)| = 1) + π/12 ), max = (|cos(x)| = 1) | (|sin(x)| = 1) + 5π/12 ].

The viable Φ field is expanded, as Obi-Wan has taken advantage of the high ground in so many different environments that he simply uses it more efficiently, and the min/max values apply due to his multidimensional point of view, evidenced by the Trigonometric Perspective Diagram. Additionally, the distance factor does not affect Obi-Wan, as spacetime can be perseptively compressed, giving him the ideal Δ value from his point of reference.

In conclusion, Obi-Wan abuses spatial relativity and Taoist doctrine in order to always invoke his high-ground powers. To properly analyze the strategic genius of Kenobi, one must hold advanced knowledge in Philosophy, Mathematics, and Calculus-based Physics, and be able to integrate these topics together.

17 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

I think the reason Clones Wars manages to still get love from people who don't like the prequels (outside of general interest in the animated series) is that the idea of the clone wars is really very strong. Had they made some better choices in scripting the movies could have been very compelling. 

It also helps that the skeleton of the prequels is overall pretty strong.  Palpatine orchestrates a conflict that pushes him into a position of power and uses the ensuing chaos to remove any limitations to that power.  There's not even that much wrong with the plots of the individual films, which let them enter a state where they're pretty entertaining from a wiki-description level memory of events.  The problem with them is entirely in the details; the specific lines of dialog, the way characters interact, is all pretty messy.  Anyone who's played Queen's Gambit knows that the actual concept of TPM's finale is pretty brilliant conceptually.  It's just that the actual act of watching it loses a lot of the appeal when you have squirm through being told that spinning is a good trick and the like.

11 minutes ago, Dcalov said:

In conclusion, Obi-Wan abuses spatial relativity and Taoist doctrine in order to always invoke his high-ground powers. To properly analyze the strategic genius of Kenobi, one must hold advanced knowledge in Philosophy, Mathematics, and Calculus-based Physics, and be able to integrate these topics together.

This is the best thing I've seen all month... 

3 hours ago, LunarSol said:

My Stormtroopers are just white primer, went through and quickly painted the cloth under black, a Nuon Oil wash, and then some white highlights that also fixed all the places I messed up painting the black.  Pretty easy to speed paint and go back with some colors to mark them later.

This feels like what I did for my stormies over a year ago. I’m not that happy with them to be honest. I’m trying to find a way to not have filthy armor (wash on the white looks really bad/dirty). 

1 hour ago, TauntaunScout said:

Hey I would like some blame for that thread lock so since I'm not getting it I'll just say one word and see if that gets me some blame

TRUMP

8 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

This feels like what I did for my stormies over a year ago. I’m not that happy with them to be honest. I’m trying to find a way to not have filthy armor (wash on the white looks really bad/dirty). 

That's what I've run into... I tried watering down the wash as well as adding a white medium. The best results I had were on my custom E-web troops which I took a great deal of time tracing the edges with diluted nuln to profile the details.... still not great up close...

06sXnKs.jpg

Bl5RdVt.jpg

Edited by Darth Sanguis