Estarriol

Bitter about event exclusive ships

1 hour ago, Flyingbrick said:

Oh cool!!!   Was it an original or from one of the kits that they used to be in?

It’s effectively a metal “first player token”. I picked up one with my tickets.

I am unaware of it being available before, but it could have been

Sounds like FFG has not completely gotten away from having them for prize support.  While i was reading this thread about the ships i though about how cool it might be if they had custom painted challenge coins as well.

7 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

Yea, considering there's no prize money either... 

I thought it was a wonderful and grand gesture for all of those nice participation prizes. It really makes even the lowly entrant underdog feel like they're really valued. It makes me feel like I'd want to actually try and win a 50+ person, 8 hour event ... (Though then again, a 500-800$ plane ticket doesn't seem worth it...) 

I'm really happy FFG did this. I'm sad I don't get one, but that's what I get for not having a life that revolves around playing Xwing. 

Don't want to nitpick and all but it kinda rubs me the wrong way that you said you're not going to Worlds because you're life is not based around X-Wing. I know a couple of dudes that went and unless you specifically look for it you wouldn't even know they played X-Wing if you had them on social media. 

It's kinda a condescending thing to say. 

That paintwork looks like it might require some masking tape to do by hand, but any decent miniature painter could bang it out in a couple of hours with due care, and any good one could do better, with shading, highlights, etc.

I know that at some point I'm going to dig out my old painting supplies and repaint my scyks.

1 hour ago, Flurpy said:

Don't want to nitpick and all but it kinda rubs me the wrong way that you said you're not going to Worlds because you're life is not based around X-Wing. I know a couple of dudes that went and unless you specifically look for it you wouldn't even know they played X-Wing if you had them on social media. 

It's kinda a condescending thing to say. 

huh? Like what. 

Frankly, we had this same discussion about the gold Vulture from Adepticon, and it basically will turn out the same way- no one should really care about alt painted ships, or alt cards, or even alt cardboard because it has no in-game value. As long as FFG doesn't start making convention-exclusive pilots or upgrades it won't matter- if you want a different painted ship you have one of three options A) go to the event B) pay the marked up re-sale price C) paint your own ship. 

Truly, it doesn't matter at all to me. IF FFG wants to have a unique painted ship or alt art card that is only earnable by going to a convention like Worlds, fine by me. If those that go want to sell it and defray some of the costs that going to Worlds cost them, also fine. As long as the items are simply cosmetic and have no effect on the game I could care less what they do- heck, make a solid gold X-wing for all I care. I won't buy it, but I'm sure someone will, as there are collectors who want one of everything. 

11 hours ago, Estarriol said:

I really, really don’t like these. The worlds exclusive Plo aethersprite is popping up on the trade groups for an obscene mark up. I’ll get around to painting my own but I’m annoyed that they were only available to a select few with the wherewithal to travel across the world, and (a percentage of) the people who got them only did it for the dollar value when selling them on.

grumble.

If it's just an alternate paint scheme, I disagree entirely.

11 hours ago, Darth Seridur said:

Ultimately, none of these alt arts, alt cardboard, alt paint ship has any effect in game. 

Agreed. Wizkids Attack Wing, by comparion, had event-exclusive units. Which were actively better. That, by comparison, is not okay.

Obviously I'd like to have the unique Plo.

I'd also like to have been at spiele, where apparently £50 would buy you half the imperial navy.

But that's life for you.

6 hours ago, Cerebrawl said:

That paintwork looks like it might require some masking tape to do by hand, but any decent miniature painter could bang it out in a couple of hours with due care, and any good one could do better, with shading, highlights, etc.

THIS.  I did this in probably less than 2 hours for less than $20 in supplies.  The longest part was fading from dark blue to light blue and that isn't even necessary.  On the model, most of the straight lines have to be less than 1/2 inch (1cm) long, so you can definitely do this without tape.  

WIN_20191011_15_40_43_Pro_2.jpg

Here's a link to a video teaching you how to do this specific theme: 

Go out and paint your own.

I still believe FG is missing the boat by not selling this as they have other alt-art ships. I have bought every variation available. It looks great on the table to have ships that match the card.

I also like differentiating an Ace. Soontier has the blood stripes while the other interceptors don't.

Or blade squadron and blue squadron b-wings.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

For those that would say the variation in ships doesn't matter...then why even play with the ship, when you can just use the base?

The details really add to the experience of the game.

20 minutes ago, HawkZ71 said:

For those that would say the variation in ships doesn't matter...then why even play with the ship, when you can just use the base?

I'm going to head this one off here. That's being intentionally argumentative and not in good faith at all. You just said, "since you just said there's no difference between a red Jedi fighter mini and a blue Jedi fighter mini, why even using a miniature at all?"  You're using a Jedi fighter because you said you're using a Jedi fighter in your list. The colour ultimately does not matter, but you are indeed using a Jedi fighter to represent the ship in your list.

25 minutes ago, HawkZ71 said:

The details really add to the experience of the game.

Yes they do. So get a paint brush and paint a blue one. Or a green one. Or whatever strikes your fancy. It's not particularly hard to make a gaming quality piece, and it feels a heck of a lot better than looking across the mat and seeing an identical paint job. If I were to paint an Aethersprite, it's not going to be Plo colours because it's relatively common to see a custom Plo paint job, and now there will be these alt-paints too.

12 minutes ago, LagJanson said:

Yes they do. So get a paint brush and paint a blue one. Or a green one. Or whatever strikes your fancy. It's not particularly hard to make a gaming quality piece, and it feels a heck of a lot better than looking across the mat and seeing an identical paint job. If I were to paint an Aethersprite, it's not going to be Plo colours because it's relatively common to see a custom Plo paint job, and now there will be these alt-paints too.

To be fair there's good reason why.  Plo koon was a pretty badass jedi in the clone wars, a mentor and father figure to Ahsoka and his aethersprite paint job was among one of the most striking and memorable

I'm not a huge fan of Plo's pilot ability and will probably rarely (if ever) use him.  But I'll probably still repaint one of the aethersprites in his scheme