Sign in to follow this  
The Laughing God

ETA of Haarlock III: Dead Stars

I got my copy on friday - had a busy weekend, so not had a chance to absorb it in full yet, but I've skim read it. Mithras is spot on, it's good.

It doesn't really answer any questions regarding the nature of the Tyrant Star. It's also fairly open ended: the intention seems to be to let GMs "fill in the blanks" regarding the Tyrant Star and the outcomes of decisions made by the players.

Like the rest of the series, it provides a selection of memorable vignettes and scenes, with some solid background setting. Mara, for example, is the closest we've seen in 40k RP to an old fashioned "dungeon crawl" but in an excellent and well developed grimdark horror-packed setting. It's also designed to heavily favour player casualties, with plenty of alternate PCs waiting in the wings when beloved characters die in horrible ways. 

I had a quick read over the weekend after picking it up in my local game store.

Spoilers possible:

My first impression during a skim through on the bus home was less than flattering. No conclusion to the Tyrant star or even what drives it. No big flashy ending to give my players closure. No idea of what or who returns are Erasmus.

Then I read it over the weekend and my view has changed. I like the feel of the adventures especially the travel through the doors, which reminded me of one of the stories in the Ravenor novels and foreshadows more adventure possibilities.  The possible endings including provision for a flashy ending if your players are still walking. Good characters in the adventure as well. Some of whom I am already thinking of ways to introduce beforehand.

Without actually playing the adventure I would give it a definite thumbs up.

Don't be disappointed by the lack of info on the Tyrant Star - remember the trilogy isn't actually ABOUT the Tyrant Star, its about Erasmus Haarlock and the desperate measures he's undertaken to attempt to undo the past. It has a role to play - but its story hasn't been told yet.

I can echo Moff8's sentiments with regards skimming the adventure! (Its why I took a while to reply when folks were asking me about it, my first thoughts were "Huh? Thats sounds a bit rubbish..."). Take the time to read the whole thing through and put everything into context, don't just skip to the last chapter to see where its all going to end, you'll get completely the wrong impression (especially with regards to the Dusk Hag).

I totally agree! I was on the skytrain after buying it. And as I skimmed through it, it seemed incomplete. But after really reading it I started liking it more and more with every page I read. I run our game and I always read it from a perspective of actually playing it.( what would I do, etc...) and it's definitely an adventure I would enjoy. I especially like the Mara encounters. They are set up like the red cages area in TF (which, for our group, was a hell of a lot of fun.) I think it would be amazing if FFG made an epic high level trilogy adventure covering the Tyrant Star for Ascension! I think a lot of people would be pretty receptive to that. And the Tryant star IS a pretty epic level subject, with all the high level political ( and inquititorial ) factions that are interested. Back to the subject at hand...I really can't wait to run this adventure. A fitting end to the trilogy to be sure.

I don't mean to burst a bubble but I kind of doubt that FFG are going to reveal the origins of the tyrant star. It is meant to be

a mystery that GMs are supposed to make themselves.

Yeah, I think I agree with you. I like the approach of giving the G.M's more power in storytelling. But alas, another part of me would like to see something "official".And like the producers of "Lost", I doubt FFG even truly knows what is going on with the Tyrant Star.gran_risa.gifJust me wishing aloud, I guess.