Sign in to follow this  
Napoleon62

Any point in having people/locations etc from other houses in your deck?

I'm relitively new to the game, but it seems to me that the 2 gold penalty is sufficient deterant to keep you from ever wanting to put in people from other houses if it can be avoided. The question is, is there not a rule restricting having things from other houses in your deck just so people can have their favorite character from the series if he is in a different house?

Do you put in things from other houses? Why? Is it because you don't have enough cards of your own or because they are so good that the penalty is worth it?

Or in a high income lannister deck would their cost be overweighed, making them closer to equivilent to the regular cards? Can cards from other houses be a stratagy?

Napoleon62 said:

because they are so good that the penalty is worth it?

Yeah, that's the case. The best example I can think of right now is "Devious Intentions" in Baratheon deck.

How good would a card have to be? Like Tywin Lannister, great guy, well, not really, but really powerful with cool special abilities. But paying 7 gold for him would, in my opinion, make him sort of worthless.

Is this just a matter of artistry, will I get the hang of it as I play more or will I be doomed forever to scour the world in search of this truth?

Oh, and with Devious Intentions, there is a rules thing I've been wondering for a while and might as well ask it as we are on the topic... This card gives a character infamy, which is a House Lannister unique keyword so if you, as you said, had this in a Baratheon deck and attached it to a baratheon character, would he gain the advantages of infamy?

Napoleon62 said:

Is this just a matter of artistry, will I get the hang of it as I play more or will I be doomed forever to scour the world in search of this truth?

happy.gif It's up to you - that's the beauty of card games I think. Currently I don't see many out of House cards in decks, because as you noticed the cost is too high. It needs to be a clever deck build to include such cards e.g. last champion included Red Warlock in Winter Greyjoy deck.

Napoleon62 said:

This card gives a character infamy, which is a House Lannister unique keyword so if you, as you said, had this in a Baratheon deck and attached it to a baratheon character, would he gain the advantages of infamy?

Yes.

Guest Not In Sample

Hi! :)

I don't like (usually) to put OOH stuff in my decks: almost never did and never been in troubles :) Anyway, it happened and most of the time I realized that for certain costs, it was not worth it... :)

You usually don't have more than 4-5 gold per turn (that's not my case...I play mostly Lannis :)) and most of the time it's better to play a couple of cards than playin' a single OOH over-priced card, if you get what I mean.

It's a matter of convenience and game dynamics. A 5 cost "Red Viper", 7 golds if played OOH, it's a powerful card...But you can find other useful stuff for that price, keepin' low the cost curve and gettin' more chance to get a good startin' hand for a good setup...

Set up is pretty important, in this game and if you find too many over-priced cards (around 3-5 golds) you'll start too slow.

The only cards you should take into account (even if you can have some different "tactical" needings) are 1-2 cost...As someone said, Devious Intention is a good in a Bara deck, even for 3 golds.

The OOH gold penalty is pretty well costed.  It generally deters one from playing out of house cards in a deck, which is good because otherwise decks would get diluted and the flavor of the individual houses would be lost.  Rogue30 has referenced the two biggest recent examples of OOH cards.  Generally, a card needs to do something that the house is incapable of doing on its own and that has some good synergy with the deck strategy (eg Red Warlock was the best available way to search up a White Raven when it was summer).  Usually, decks will have only one OOH card at most.  There are starting to be sufficient general answers to characters, locations, and attachments available for each house, but if, for example, Lannister was totally wrecked by a Condition attachment, perhaps one that could be returned to hand from the discard pile, it might consider playing Maester Cressen out of house as a reusable condition attachment answer.

Also, there are a few cards that help with the OOH gold penalty.  Alliance allows you to ignore it for a turn, while several agendas reduce it in various contexts (the Treaties, City of Shadows, and the upcoming Neutral Faction agenda).

Alliance makes it well worth doing this. I'll run Arianne Martell in just about any deck because of her claim raising ability. The Knight of Flowers (King's Landing version) and Myrcella Lannister goes great in my Lannister/White Book deck. Old Nan is great for a variety of tricks in some decks.