Sign in to follow this  
FloLeBlanc

Campaign?

I wouldn't be surprised if we will see some small expansions, or like for example the Anime card game multiple combinable games.

A small expansion with some extra room cards, extra marines, extra event cards? I could easily see that.

But a campaign mode? From my limited play experience, I'm not sure the system of this game is robust enough to support a campaign mode. I love this game, but it's brutal. Marines die on one hit, and sometimes the cards just screw you. If you wanted experience to carry over to the next game, making your surviving marines tougher or more effective, I think it might unbalance the game. And if you tried to compensate by making the game more difficult, then it would also swing harder, and your extra-special marines might be extra-dead, leaving your surviving recruits to fight through a much more challenging (read: nigh impossible) game on their own.

I recommend you play this game for what it is: a richly thematic, small-scale co-op. If you want something more involved, with campaign elements, consider the Deathwatch RPG.

I could see some linked scenarios working well though

An expansion to include Traitor Marines like the old days of SH would be awesome!!!!

Eldil said:

But a campaign mode? From my limited play experience, I'm not sure the system of this game is robust enough to support a campaign mode. I love this game, but it's brutal. Marines die on one hit, and sometimes the cards just screw you. If you wanted experience to carry over to the next game, making your surviving marines tougher or more effective, I think it might unbalance the game. And if you tried to compensate by making the game more difficult, then it would also swing harder, and your extra-special marines might be extra-dead, leaving your surviving recruits to fight through a much more challenging (read: nigh impossible) game on their own.

I completely agree that a "campaign mode" would almost certainly unbalance the game.  Some sort of character progression is almost implicit in the concept of a "campaign" to my mind, and the kind of unbalances you describe are really the only thing that could result from such a house rule system.

That said, I also think this (undeniably broken) system is also highly thematic for the 40k universe.  It might be fun to use such a "campaign" once in a while, just to see how far you can get before you're totally wiped out.

Another idea would be to have a series of games telling a coherent story, and the players try to survive through each one.  The game is set up as normal before each "mission" (so no XP gain and marines killed are getting replaced) but the players can't progress to the next mission until they beat the first.  The only problem with that idea is that someone would have to write up the missions beforehand, which means either one player knows what's coming, or whoever writes the campaign can't actually play it.  I suppose you could devise a random mission generation system, but then you risk losing any "coherency" to the story.

Any kind of variant that puts one player in control of the 'stealers is right out - the co-op nature of this game is one of the primary selling points for me.

At the end of the day, I agree this game is not well set up for any sort of traditional "campaign mode," but it would interesting to see what other "variants" we might concoct while experimenting with a campaign-like goal.

Campaign: you could write something yourself, but I don't think this game can work in a campaign mode. All cards (locations) are already random and the end goal is based on how many players started the game. They could write some new end locations and this way provide a small campaign, but somehow I just don't think it would be very interesting or mindblowing. I think they won't release something like this.

Expansions: We all would like to see some Deathwing, Space Wolf Wolf Guard in terminator armour, etc. but also here I don't think they will ever release something like this. Why? This would mean new characters with new rules and new locations, but in the end it would be the same game and wouldn't give us a real difference, like with collecting card games. 

Even if they would release any of these two things (or both) I don't think I would buy it, as the game is just great as it is, and an expansion or campaing would probably only fail in th goal of adding a new wind to the game (you may perhaps play it 2 times more in your life, then without these extras).

Just my view though. ;) 

I think expansion could come in the form of

• New event cards
  • Three new cards for each team's hand
  • New additional location cards
  • New bosses (specific to new event cards)
  • New psionic powers (spells) or new team members for each team that can use them

Linking games could be fun for a story/theme, but the reward/penalty should be light either way.  Such as one or two extra reroll markers for a team member or starting with a genestealer on you to start the next mission. 

I'd love to see an expansion (Space Wolves!!!) but it appears to me that FFG doesn't really expand on Silver Line games.  I know that Citadels had an expansion but I believe that was released before the game was added to the Silver Line.  And in any case, I believe it has been incorporated into the main game now.  It isn't even an expansion any more.  Anyone know of any Silver Line games that were expanded?

Forgive me for asking such a dumb question. But what is this Silver Line (I know it's a group of products), but differents it from other games ?

Dam described the Silver Line well in his post above.  I'd add that the games are also budget priced at $25 (US), which is considerably less expensive than big board games.

Anima the Card Game is a Silver Line Product with 2 expansions (although they are stand alone). Of these one is only in Spanish currently.

However the Anima Card game is a translated product so that might be why it differs from the others. I however, think that Death Angel will get an expansion, because it is a good game and Fantasy Flight doesn't miss a trick like that usually :P so I expect if it sold as well as it seems, it'll get support.

for a campaign they could release a campaign book from time to time for like 5-10 dollars that would have 10 or 20 missions that are related but no bonus penalty just to say u beat

Tyrichter said:

Having different chapters is excellent idea! It would bring new tactical options to the game.

Different chapters is definitely something I've thought about doing as a homebrew project.  Even different races like Tau or Eldar exploring a space hulk.  I haven't as yet because, well, Blood Angels are my favs anyway. =P

The best thing about this being a card game is that home made mock ups of cards are much easier to make than mock ups of minis (IMHO anyway.)  Just sleeve 'em and you can hardly tell the difference.