Sign in to follow this  
Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

Fine. Here’s your T-85

1 hour ago, ficklegreendice said:

Doesnt matter how big a beating they took

The named characters' plot armor will have them strolling to an easy win

Really, if the next movie follows the same trend that the original trilogy did (and Disney appears to be doing so) then I'm expecting a costly but final victory for the Resistance in Rise of Skywalker. Not that I'm planning to see the movie. let's look at Episodes 7 and 8 through the lens of Episodes 4-6.

In Episode 4: A New Hope we meet a young protagonist. They're nothing particularly special, at first. But are quickly revealed to have a Mysterious Backstory and Untapped Potential. After getting dragged into a harrowing adventure by a newly purchased droid (R2-D2) and losing a their mentor figure (who becomes a fan favorite character) they manage to lead the Rebel Alliance to a decisive victory over the Galactic Empire with only minor loss of life for the Rebels during the battle.

In Episode 7: The Force Awakens we're introduced to Rey. She (like Luke Skywalker) lives on a desert planet and survives as a junk scavenger. Decent in a fight, but otherwise nothing special. She gets dragged into a harrowing adventure by the droid BB-8. During this adventure it's revealed that she has a Mysterious Backstory and Untapped Potential. She too meets a Mentor figure in the form of Han Solo. As the culmination of this adventure her mentor is killed by a Sith Lord (just like Obi Wan Kenobi) and Rey leads the Resistance in a decisive victory against the First Order with relatively few losses.

In Episode 5: Empire Strikes Back the Rebel Alliance is under serious threat and forced to flee. Our young protagonist, Luke Skywalker, takes off to a remote planet without letting anyone know his plans. There he receives training by a reclusive Jedi Master. Meanwhile the other central characters from Episode 4 go on their own adventure. Despite things initially working out, the movie ends with the heroes being captured due to an old friend betraying Han. Luke's training is abandoned while incomplete. Luke uses his incomplete training to challenge Darth Vader, and loses. Badly. All our heroes can do is flee for their lives.

In Episode 8: The Last Jedi we again see a similar story taking place. Rey, our young protagonist with a Mysterious Backstory takes off for a remote planet to get training from a reclusive Jedi Master. Meanwhile the Resistance is under serious threat and running for their lives. The central heroes from the first movie, along with a new addition, embark on an adventure on their own as a result of this situation. While these heroes initially have a string of successes, things fall apart due to betrayal. Elsewhere, Rey's training is ended by Skywalker while it's still incomplete. She then uses her incomplete training to challenge Kylo Ren. While she does manage to kill Snooke, I wouldn't call her duel against Kylo Ren as a win in her favor. Rey rejoins her friends in the Resistance, and they are all forced to flee for their lives.

Episode 6: Return of the Jedi is a much more upbeat movie. The Emperor decides to build a second Death Star and leaks this information to the Rebellion as a trap. Despite initial setbacks and misadventures our heroes manage to defeat a garrison of Stormtroopers with the aid of the Ewoks. However this isn't quite fast enough due to the trap being sprung. Our heroes manage to then take the Plot Device bunker and disable the shields protecting the Death Star. While this is going on Luke surrenders so he can confront the Emperor and Darth Vader in person. Well, we know how that turns out. End result is an extremely costly victory which brings the Empire to it's knees. Both the Emperor and Darth Vader are killed as a result of this epic battle, while all the main characters survive and are mostly unscathed.

Based on this, I'd say the First Order will be absolutely wrecked by the end of Rise of Skywalker, but it'll be a very costly victory. Rey will have a one on one confrontation with Kylo Ren, and maybe the revived Emperor if he's really back. Kylo Ren will die, possibly while sacrificing his life taking out the Emperor, just like his grandfather did. And the heroic main cast will all survive, mostly unscathed.

I doubt it'll be anything noteworthy

Tlj was awful if they were going for "a low point" movie

Non of the characters were injured (Leia survived the vacuum of ******* space) save Rose after her dumbass manuever (which somehow didn't hurt Finn at all). Rey physically dominated everything via either lightsaber or falcon gunner (including a one-shot, triple kill) and the FO is an incompetent joke

So, eh 

9 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

I doubt it'll be anything noteworthy

Tlj was awful if they were going for "a low point" movie

Non of the characters were injured (Leia survived the vacuum of ******* space) save Rose after her dumbass manuever (which somehow didn't hurt Finn at all). Rey physically dominated everything via either lightsaber or falcon gunner (including a one-shot, triple kill) and the FO is an incompetent joke

So, eh 

The First Order established control of the galaxy within 48 hours and completely decimated their only military opposition. Furthermore, without Ben- let's say Rey did kill Snoke. She wouldn't have stood a chance against the Praetorian Guard alone. But she didn't stand a chance against Snoke either. If you want your RoTJ moment, honestly, TLJ's Throne Room fight was very much it. Fuuuurthermore, the vacuum of space is not instantly lethal, and though it can have lasting effects, if you were in it for as long as Leia was... You'll... actually probably be fine if you get back into a habitable environment. 

Please try to be objective if you're going to complain, Fickle. I know you're better than this.

RoS will NOT be like RoTJ, folks.

My take from this article is that the main Resistance force will be T-70s, buuuuuuuuuut it leaves room for this ship to appear in either the movie, comics or books in small numbers. As for the final battle we got at least 30 fighters in the trailer, hints in the comics that the Mon Cal will join the Resistance or get wiped out (stupid Quarren), a Mon Cal character seen in costume test (Ackbar's son most like), and the leaks (many dubious, but all say massive space battle).

As for stats itself this does a lot for X-wing to work with: better engines, can barrel roll/turn around better, stronger blasters, and that large nose is a sensor slot. Will be very interesting to see what way they go with this ship.

7 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

Given the t-70 already exists, this guy is probably gonna be the E-wing of its time

Just... hopefully better than what we currently got 😛

Reading the description I'm thinking more TIE/D defender than E-Wing. Tanky, a ***** to pin down and kill, and a bite worse than a pissed of rattlesnake.

5 hours ago, Captain Lackwit said:

The First Order established control of the galaxy within 48 hours and completely decimated their only military opposition. Furthermore, without Ben- let's say Rey did kill Snoke. She wouldn't have stood a chance against the Praetorian Guard alone. But she didn't stand a chance against Snoke either. If you want your RoTJ moment, honestly, TLJ's Throne Room fight was very much it. Fuuuurthermore, the vacuum of space is not instantly lethal, and though it can have lasting effects, if you were in it for as long as Leia was... You'll... actually probably be fine if you get back into a habitable environment. 

Please try to be objective if you're going to complain, Fickle. I know you're better than this.

RoS will NOT be like RoTJ, folks.

Whoa whoa whoa.

A fairly objective look at TLJ? In my Star Wars forum?

Seriously though, I never understood the complaint about Leia in space. Cheesy? Probably. But in a fictional universe where literal sentient literal ghosts of dead people come back, people didn't like the fact that she didn't die immediately when exposed to space?

And you're right about the lethality of a vacuum: chimps have been known to suffer no lasting effects after being in a vacuum for a few minutes.

6 hours ago, Captain Lackwit said:

No one has to be objective about if they like a particular piece of fiction.

Its like ice cream flavors, not everyone likes every attempt at one.

I merely thought episodes 7 and 8 were okay. They were a far sight better then episodes 1 through 3 though. Especially 2 and 3. That said, the new trilogy does appear to be trying for the same broad strokes story beats as the much beloved original movies. Like them or not, they are trying for the same overall story arc. The specifics are, naturally, different. But if Rise of Skywalker doesn't have a Starkiller Base 2.0 I'll be rather surprised.

4 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

Given the t-70 already exists, this guy is probably gonna be the E-wing of its time

Just... hopefully better than what we currently got 😛

The E-Wing is supposed to be the E-Wing of this time.  It's a New Republic ship. :angry:

Edited by Darth Meanie

40 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

The E-Wing is supposed to be the E-Wing of this time.  It's a New Republic ship. :angry:

It was

Before the dark times...

Before the mouse-pire...

Not that I actually know or care much about the EU, I just wanted to pay homage to that line 

2 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

It was

Before the dark times...

Before the mouse-pire...

Not that I actually know or care much about the EU, I just wanted to pay homage to that line 

Personally not a fan of the E-Wing, it looks like a badly configured kihraxz. But at least it's not just an x-wing with extra panels >_>

2 hours ago, Tyhar7 said:

Noticed the article declared “most” of the T-85’s were destroyed and not “all”. 

Might still make an appearance. 

The writer realised that writing themselves into a corner is a bad idea. It's a big galaxy after all.

In seriousness, I doubt we'll see them make a movie appearance (else we'd have seen it in the film print media like the Y-Wing and the TIE Whisper), but it'll likely turn up in the novelisation (aka The Writer Strikes Back) and possibly in the Resistance TV show. Of course, there is also the post-movie future to consider.