JediJF

Cassian Andor and Iden Versio Commanders ?

If this is really true, Iden will be a day 1 buy from me! I think that Inferno Squad fits perfectly into Star Wars Legion format and she will be a good change from all the other commanders the Empire already have. I suspect she'll have Infiltrate or something like that.

3 minutes ago, Red Castle said:

If this is really true, Iden will be a day 1 buy from me! I think that Inferno Squad fits perfectly into Star Wars Legion format and she will be a good change from all the other commanders the Empire already have. I suspect she'll have Infiltrate or something like that.

It does feel like she will have infiltrate, but I wonder if she will get probe droids or Inferno Squad (maybe both)? They both should have infiltrate, but with Dio as her companion there should be a repair feature. As for Inferno Squad I wonder if they will be the first batch of all unique units. Figure the Ghost crew would also work for Rebels in the same way. 

As for Cassian/K2S0 I bet we will finally get those Jyn command to really shine.

21 hours ago, arnoldrew said:

The Heavies for the GCW factions were not supposed to be available at launch. The original Core set got delayed until it was released at the same time as the Heavies. 

I hadn't heard that, do you have a source? I can't find anything one way or another on the official announcements, since all of them just say "Q1 2018" while the Core set says "Early 2018". The follow-up preview articles say "alongside" though. Also, I'm unclear on how a delay on the core set let the Heavies catch up for GCW, given it seems FFG uses the same manufacturing and shipping network for all products...

Regardless of if they were intended to be released at the same time or not, the initial article indicates they were at least expected to be released during the same quarter, whereas the Sabre tank and AAT are intended for Q1 of 2020, well after the expected release of the CW clone. If Clone wars hadn't been delayed into Q4, then there would be a minimum four month separation between the Core set release and the first wave of new units for Clone Wars. GCW, on the other hand, was supposed to be followed by Veers and Snowtroopers the next month(Snowtroopers were delayed though). 

Edited by Caimheul1313

5 hours ago, Alpha17 said:

GCW core set was delayed and they got the heavies on release.  Clone Wars core set was delayed and we didn't even get the support expansions that are in the dang core on release.  Way to go FFG. 🙄

I will add that this was actually announced as fact during the In Flight report at Adepticon. They previewed the core set and then the unit expansions. Alex said the supports would be released “eventually” as well but the way he stated it seemed to indicate it would be later. 

I only remember this because I was the one to actually ask the question. 

The delay in the CW core set release seems to have pushed that to “sooner” rather than “later”. 😉

Edited by FSD

4 hours ago, Alpha17 said:

GCW core set was delayed and they got the heavies on release.  Clone Wars core set was delayed and we didn't even get the support expansions that are in the dang core on release.  Way to go FFG. 🙄

2 hours ago, FSD said:

The delay in the CW code set release seems to have pushed that to “sooner” rather than “later”. 😉

Throw in Rex/Dooku release in South America, Miniature Market release of CW early, and Europe getting rumors of Cassien/Iden and I'm pretty sure this all points to FFG playing 4d chess on the grand scale. BUT we are catching on to them!!!

21 minutes ago, RyantheFett said:

Throw in Rex/Dooku release in South America, Miniature Market release of CW early, and Europe getting rumors of Cassien/Iden and I'm pretty sure this all points to FFG playing 4d chess on the grand scale. BUT we are catching on to them!!!

Y e a h ... It's as if after the Dewbackle and CW issues, FFG's supply line has sprung a few leaks.... 

12 hours ago, Caimheul1313 said:

Y e a h ... It's as if after the Dewbackle and CW issues, FFG's supply line has sprung a few leaks.... 

11 hours ago, crx3800 said:

While I would have no problem with these models/units, what if they just wanted to see if they could find the leaks? 

Look up Hanlon's Razor. Never ascribe to malice (or indeed cunning) that which is adequately explained by incompetence. 

It just looks like FFG's production and distribution network is really strained by the scale and complexity of Legion releases. 

4 hours ago, Jedirev said:

Look up Hanlon's Razor. Never ascribe to malice (or indeed cunning) that which is adequately explained by incompetence. 

It just looks like FFG's production and distribution network is really strained by the scale and complexity of Legion releases. 

Good point. One thing I meant by leaks is mostly an inability to coordinate shipping to distributors or enforce holds on FFG's part, not just active malice. 

Given FFG and Asmodee are primarily board game companies, they've done fairly well with Legion. The rules are fairly tight and with a few exceptions the releases have been fairly regular. It's arguably better than V1 X-Wing.

Edited by Caimheul1313

21 minutes ago, GreatMazinkaiser said:

Hey, at least V1 X-wing had an actual rulebook that was laid out intuitively... I'm still finding I have to flip back and forth with hyperlinks that don't (apparently) work on a phone just to figure out how to play.

What we have for Legion is so far superior to what was in V1 X-Wing that I am blown away you would suggest otherwise. I mean, it's in alphabetical order for God's sake. Also, V1 X-wing had rules that weren't in the Rules Reference Guide. You had to go back and forth between the two books just to get all the rules.

5 hours ago, GreatMazinkaiser said:

Hey, at least V1 X-wing had an actual rulebook that was laid out intuitively... I'm still finding I have to flip back and forth with hyperlinks that don't (apparently) work on a phone just to figure out how to play.

Really??? Star Wars Legion is pretty intuitive to play, my wife has no trouble with the rules and has no experience with war games. Even after a long break between games she doesn't have trouble picking it back up.

Perhaps I'm an old curmudgeon and having a rulebook arranged alphabetically is some sort of grand evolution in game design... This is a possibility.

That said, I looked at my Song of Blades and Heroes rulebook and was struck by how intuitive the divisions were:

Introduction
Basic Rules (anatomy of a turn)
Hand-to-Hand Combat
Ranged Combat
Magic
Morale
Special Rules (i.e. keywords)
vars optional rules

Most miniature wargaming rulebooks up to this point have had a similar format, and had Legion done so I could use a Stormtrooper squad without any need to look in the glossary.

2 hours ago, GreatMazinkaiser said:

Perhaps I'm an old curmudgeon and having a rulebook arranged alphabetically is some sort of grand evolution in game design... This is a possibility.

That said, I looked at my Song of Blades and Heroes rulebook and was struck by how intuitive the divisions were:

Introduction
Basic Rules (anatomy of a turn)
Hand-to-Hand Combat
Ranged Combat
Magic
Morale
Special Rules (i.e. keywords)
vars optional rules

Most miniature wargaming rulebooks up to this point have had a similar format, and had Legion done so I could use a Stormtrooper squad without any need to look in the glossary.

The learn to play rules go over things pretty well then the full rules have all the special rules for Legion. I fount it to be by far the easiest miniature game to learn I've played to date. 

FFG laid out the rules for Legion similarly to how they do the rules for their board games: a small, learn to play set of rules to help the player get through the first game or two, then the "advanced" rules, which include both the basic rules in more detail, and special rules. Both books indicate that you are supposed to use the "Learn to Play" rules to learn the basics of the game (Anatomy of a turn, Actions, etc), then use the Rules Reference to answer any lingering questions. The Rules Reference guide goes further to say that it's main section is a "Glossary." So in truth, it seems that the "Rulebook" is supposed to be the combination of the Learn to Play booklet "stapled" to the front of the RRG. 

I feel this works fairly well, since you have references to other associated topics, it makes it clear the rules in the glossary are alphabetized by topic, and unlike many wargame rule books I own there's an index. Honestly, the pure alphabetical layout of the book helps me find a topic easier than remembering which subsection's sidebar the authors buried a particular rule.

On 10/21/2019 at 12:38 PM, RyantheFett said:

Wait what?!? How did I miss this news?

Has anyone translated the other command cards so we know what Rex and Dooku can do now?