Sign in to follow this  
alotapotato

Disappointed in the system after reading Genesys core rule book

i don't really like range bands either. It's very fuzzy. A a GM I feel its my responsibility to track of EVERYTHING myself. In my head. As a player its less of an issue. I just ask the GM "how far away am I from X and let them worry about it. ((This assumes you have a competent GM...locally we're relatively blessed)).

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 6:22 PM, AtoMaki said:

I would be the happiest person if a straight Severity 16 would be enough to make a bloody mess. 

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 8:01 PM, Avatar111 said:

Thats hardcore. But sure is deadly.

The game has a 'hardcore' option in the GM's section ready for you to pick up and use: The 'Grittier Games' sidebar on page 289.

• All weapons increase deadliness by +4, making the default injury from a double-handed sword blow 'Maiming', and a default double-handed finishing blow a 'chunky salsa effect' severity 22.
  • Bleeding is fatal at the end of the scene unless you spend a void point
  • Trying and failing to remove Wounded makes the injury get worse instead of staying the same (Lightly Wounded > Severely Wounded > Dead)

2 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

The game has a 'hardcore' option in the GM's section ready for you to pick up and use: The 'Grittier Games' sidebar on page 289.

• All weapons increase deadliness by +4, making the default injury from a double-handed sword blow 'Maiming', and a default double-handed finishing blow a 'chunky salsa effect' severity 22.
  • Bleeding is fatal at the end of the scene unless you spend a void point
  • Trying and failing to remove Wounded makes the injury get worse instead of staying the same (Lightly Wounded > Severely Wounded > Dead)

This grittier rule is not good.

The void point only solution to bleed is gimmicky and unfun, the added deadliness makes fights all about dagger + iaijutsu, the combats all about earth stance...

It is a bad optional rule.

Then again, I am generally fine with how deadly the game is outside of a few extremes.

3 hours ago, Avatar111 said:

The void point only solution to bleed is gimmicky and unfun...

Just to clarify: The gritty rule of Bleeding does not change how Bleeding is healed. It only changes what happens when someone Bleeding does not heal it (because he is unconscious and has no conscious allies).

Regularily, Bleeding only deal damage when you make checks, and since unconscious or incapacitated characters cannot (actively) perform checks, dying from blood loss is not a danger.

Edited by Harzerkatze

1 minute ago, Harzerkatze said:

Just to clarify: The gritty rule of Bleeding does not change how Bleeding is healed. It only changes what happens when someone Bleeding does not heal it (because he is unconscious and has no conscious allies).

Regularily, Bleeding only deal damage when you make checks, and since unconscious or incapacitated characters cannot perform checks, dying from blood loss is not a danger.

Bleeding is a weird condition the way it is written. But to be fair, conditions are one of the weakest design of the system (most of the conflict chapter is, unfortunately...), many of them are just not superbly designed; incapacitated, bleeding, suffocation, wounded, prone etc.

Though, I'm not sure that needing a void point to not die is remotely interesting. Overall the "gritty" optional rule just doesn't do it for me, it seems not thoroughly tought of. But probably many other people think it is amazing. I think that nobody plays this game in the same way as someone else. Because of how flimsy and flexible it is. For better or worst.

On 10/27/2019 at 8:56 AM, Chilitoke said:

A benefit of this approach is that people are not 'required' to stand still when it is not their turn as to people can circle each other without change range bands and such.
, a drawback is that all distances kind of need to be evaluated at all times and not necessarily is conferred by previous position and actions.

That benefit can be obtained with simpler (and more elegant) systems. Plus, the particular way that benefit is achieved in this system leads to silliness. 

That drawback is HUGE. In a 5v5 skirmish—which, IMO, any skirmish rules should be able to handle fairly well—that’s 9 range relationships that need to get re-figured every time someone moves. That’s not worth the above benefit, given that other systems handle the same benefit much more easily. 

12 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

It is not really what I want. I think "universal deadliness" would be just as bad for this game as "low-energy deadliness" - I'm looking for this kind of "dramatic deadliness" when only certain well-defined situations pose a mortal threat to the characters while everything else is fairly non-hazardous. Getting into a katana-fight with a samurai should be deadly. Manhandling five ashigaru should not be. This way players can enjoy combat and draw a line too if they feel like the risk is getting in the way of the fun. 

1 minute ago, AtoMaki said:

It is not really what I want. I think "universal deadliness" would be just as bad for this game as "low-energy deadliness" - I'm looking for this kind of "dramatic deadliness" when only certain well-defined situations pose a mortal threat to the characters while everything else is fairly non-hazardous. Getting into a katana-fight with a samurai should be deadly. Manhandling five ashigaru should not be. This way players can enjoy combat and draw a line too if they feel like the risk is getting in the way of the fun. 

increase non-minion (and PC) crit severity (not deadliness...) by (insert how much you want). done.

doesn't excuse how finishing blows are simply wrong compared to anything else. "doubling" is never a good mechanic.