Niro750

Noob questions about epic Battles and large ships

Hi guys, I am a casual family player of X-wing 2.0. I have been building my collection (of 2.0 and legion) but due to having been very busy with life and work since 2.0 (and legion) came out I have only played the odd game - my intention is to have plenty of options for when things calm down a bit!

Anyways, I want some epic ships and I read through a lot of the new news etc... But had a couple of questions because there is the epic battle expansion and epic ships being released at the same time and there is a lot of info to get through for a small time player.

*What's the deal with the imperial Raider? It's not really mentioned in the blurb from epic battles (that I can see), is it something to be used only on 3x6 play areas but not in specific scenarios - for example - you just decide to field it or not

*Are there proxies for the ships in the epic battles? Or even missions that don't use the large ships? 

*Are the bigger ships separate from epic battles - so you can use them together or apart depending on how you want to play?

Thanks for any simple explanations!

57 minutes ago, Niro750 said:

*What's the deal with the imperial Raider? It's not really mentioned in the blurb from epic battles (that I can see), is it something to be used only on 3x6 play areas but not in specific scenarios - for example - you just decide to field it or not

Well, with the caveat that we don't actually have the scenarios yet, it sounds like huge ships are just like any other ship, except they're not tournament legal. So you can play them in regular casual games, so long as you have the points. Or in epic scenarios. But you don't have to. Huge ships and epic are decoupled - you don't need one to play the other.

59 minutes ago, Niro750 said:

*Are there proxies for the ships in the epic battles? Or even missions that don't use the large ships? 

No proxies mentioned so far, but equally no indication that any scenarios force you to use particular ships. Use what you want.

1 hour ago, Niro750 said:

*Are the bigger ships separate from epic battles - so you can use them together or apart depending on how you want to play?

Yes, this seems to be it exactly.

12 minutes ago, JanjyGiggins said:

Well, with the caveat that we don't actually have the scenarios yet, it sounds like huge ships are just like any other ship, except they're not tournament legal. So you can play them in regular casual games, so long as you have the points. Or in epic scenarios. But you don't have to. Huge ships and epic are decoupled - you don't need one to play the other.

No proxies mentioned so far, but equally no indication that any scenarios force you to use particular ships. Use what you want.

Yes, this seems to be it exactly.

Thanks mate, seems quite straightforward then

2 hours ago, Niro750 said:

Thanks for any simple explanations!

Hi.  There is a simple explanation that has and will cause a lot of confusion.  Epic was what 1st Ed called the large ships.   At first, they just made the large ships, had points, and you made up games with them.  Eventually, they came out with an official format called "Epic" that was 300 pts per side (or the equivalent of 600 in today's points).  This was Epic.  

In 2nd Ed, the new product is called "Epic Battles", which everyone is calling "Epic" for short.  It is a product that has 11 scenarios in it that can be played with some variance in number of players and points.  Some games have lots of points per side and some games are one ship per side.  There are even matches that have more than 2 sides.  With these new scenarios, people can now field the Huge ships.  Those are what used to be called "epic", but they are now called Huge Ships.  Many people still call playing with the big ships "epic", but they shouldn't.  

Hope that helps!

Edited by heychadwick

3 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

Hi.  There is a simple explanation that has and will cause a lot of confusion.  Epic was what 1st Ed called the large ships.   At first, they just made the large ships, had points, and you made up games with them.  Eventually, they came out with an official format called "Epic" that was 300 pts per side (or the equivalent of 600 in today's points).  This was Epic.  

In 2nd Ed, the new product is called "Epic Battles", which everyone is calling "Epic" for short.  It is a product that has 11 scenarios in it that can be played with some variance in number of players and points.  Some games have lots of points per side and some games are one ship per side.  There are even matches that have more than 2 sides.  With these new scenarios, people can now field the Huge ships.  Those are what used to be called "epic", but they are now called Huge Ships.  Many people still call playing with the big ships "epic", but they shouldn't.  

Hope that helps!

Ok thanks for that, a very clear explanation! I will order the epic battles and the huge ships that I actually want.

Thanks again guys

4 hours ago, Niro750 said:

Ok thanks for that, a very clear explanation! I will order the epic battles and the huge ships that I actually want.

Good luck!

I am super stoked for the huge ships and the epic missions. 1.0 large scale games were some of my favorites, and now it looks to be so much better in 2.0.

Remember - some of the epic battles will be on a 3x3 surface and others will be 6x3. 

13 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

Good luck!

I am super stoked for the huge ships and the epic missions. 1.0 large scale games were some of my favorites, and now it looks to be so much better in 2.0.

Remember - some of the epic battles will be on a 3x3 surface and others will be 6x3. 

Cool, I'm sure we all are excited for it I am because I like the idea of having such cool models out and to have a theme for a battle. Very thematic.

I'm one step ahead on the mats. I got the starfield and planet mats right at the start before we knew what would happen with epic because I knew I wanted to play it! Good times ahead!

10 hours ago, Niro750 said:

Hi guys, I am a casual family player of X-wing 2.0.

If you are interested in a podcast that doesn't talk about tournaments and only talks about casual stuff, try the Shuttle Tydirium podcast. We love Huge ships and have been doing missions for a long time.  We often find the mistakes and problems so you don't have to.  :)

7 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

If you are interested in a podcast that doesn't talk about tournaments and only talks about casual stuff, try the Shuttle Tydirium podcast. We love Huge ships and have been doing missions for a long time.  We often find the mistakes and problems so you don't have to.  :)

You may laugh but I have a diploma in mechatronics and love technology and building computers etc... But I am (on purpose) well behind in these social media and streaming type things. I try to spend my other free time with the kids and outdoors walking and mountain biking. I have never listened to a podcast and I've been online since like mid 90s haha. Is it also available on YouTube? Or is this audio only?

laugh away!

8 hours ago, heychadwick said:

Found it, and will have a listen!