2019 VASSAL Autumn Tournament Report

10 minutes ago, Karneck said:

@Green Squadron 3 vs Karneck
Karneck was given 1st player
Objective played - Hyperspace Migration

Karneck scored 400
Green scored 58

Karneck total MOV 342, 10-1

Great game and hats off to Green Squadron, hes flying a Konstantine list and is placing highly in this tournament which says a lot.
In our game he made a gamble on trying to out maneuver my SSD, instead this cost him his interdictors one by one when the better option might of been to just overwhelm my SSD and spam repair command.
We each both scoring 2 VP tokens from the objective which made it a wash, and I lost one Goz to try and block (it did not), and the other to poor flying and ramming itself into my SSD on the last turn to explode.

I hope Green makes the top 8 cut and we face each other again!

Yes me to... i made an error when picking objectives for my list... should choose doomed station instead of hyperspace migration🤣

TigerKommandant vs Karneck
Karneck was 1st player
Objective played - Volatile Deposits 

Karneck scored 267
TigerKommandant scored 350

TigerKommandant total MOV 83 , 7-4

Well played game by Tiger, he managed to keep his ISD barely hanging on using the dust fields, in the end, even though I killed two Gozs and his ISD, he was able to farm enough tokens and knock my SSD to half health to earn the victory.

@machinebede1 vs @Cael
machinebede1 was 1st player
Objective played - Superior Positions

Cael scored 246 (171 destroyed plus 75 in VP)
machinebede1 scored 135 (135 destroyed)

Cael total MOV 111, 7-4

Well flown by machinebede1. I managed to get into a stern chase and stay out of range of the VSDs until the very end and pulled off an unlikely block with a GR-75. His anti-starfighter destroyer murdered my squadrons, but they managed to take out the command ship and a couple bomber squadrons before they died. Rudor is brutal, especially with beefy squadrons around him.

Edited by Cael

@CommanderDave vs Rikash has ended. 

CommanderDave chose 1st and we played my Fighter Ambush.

I scored 214 points to 72 for CommanderDave.

I therefore won with an MOV 142 which is just barely an 8-3. 

CommanderDave was kind enough to offer to  do the writeup tomorrow.

Tagge-ing @Karneck.

Edited by Rikash

@Stephen_harris70 vs. @medaloffairness

Stephen went first and took my Superior positions.

The result doesn``t reflect the very close game + thrilling squadron fight + the slow and fearsome approach of his Sloane Avenger ISD.
It took me some tokens and favourable dices to win this game.

Thank you for the game Stephen. Well played

Stephen: 165
medaloffairness: 398

MOV 233

Winner : medaloffairness

Result : 9 - 2

Edited by medaloffairness

I played my match with @RealVeers last night. It was an all-Rebel MSU squad smash up! 

Veers had the bid and chose first picking my Intel Sweep.

Final scores:

Me: 268 (inc 75 from IS)

Veers: 197

Win Zamalekite MOV 71 for 7:4

Our squads went mostly centrally with his Landmonition and my two Nebs diagonally opposite each other and his CR90s on the far flanks with mine behind my Nebs laterally to get the objective tokens.

Turn 1 we edged towards each other with Jaina's Light lining up a double arc on my Yavaris. Turn 2 I threw my squads in and he then shot with JL doing minimal damage to Yavaris at long range before sweeping in front me. I then managed to kill JL but Admo was able to swoop in for a double arc on Vanguard. 

We both had pretty terrible squad dice. Mine were probably worse overall but Veers missed a couple of key shots at crucial times, one especially on my Wedge that kept him alive another round after which he was able to kill 3 more squads.

Vanguard and my Toryn GR75 succumbed to Admo whilst I picked up my third objective token and killed his comms net GR75.

I eventually managed to kill all of his squads but lost all of my aces in the process. His Liberator pursued Yavaris but my squad shooting again whiffed and he survived the game on 1 hull.

A very tight and exciting game but also a bit frustrating with some stupid dice rolls which overall hurt Veers more than me. Whiffing with a squad that's  lucky to be alive anyway doesn't feel as bad! 

Thanks Veers for the game and staying up an hour later than me to finish off.

Link to logfile ( PG13)

Great tactical game that could have swung either way. My dice were dead cold in the beginning, but Ali's were as cold when the game progressed. 
I made some mistakes regarding target priority, during T3 with Admo.

Zamal is as always a perfect opponent and I really enjoy clashing squads with him, as in our Fleet Exercise game. Hope you make the cut, lad!

RealAdmiralsDoItInSpace vs RapidReload
RealAdmirals was 1st player
Station Objective was played

RealAdmirals: 232

Mr Reload: 198

Win RealAdmirals with 34 MOV for 6:5

Entertaining game between two players with little faith in their fleets. No colossal mistakes made on either side, and my tactic of barreling in like a mad man on both closely positioned stations ended with the predictable loss of one of my two death pickles being offset by the death of a handful of smaller ships and both stations. RR was top fun to play against, and taught me a lot about the dangers of massive minefields. 

ChavoGuerrero Vs. @Order66 Beta

Chavo was 1st player, Solar Corona was played

Order66: 60 pts

Chavo: 0

Order66 won with a 7:4 and 60 MOV.

It was a very slow, cautious game, I waited for Order66 to close but he held at long range for the entire game. I lost both Slicer Tools flotillas, and although got decent damage onto the raider, I was not able to kill anything. Good game, and I appreciate 66 staying up to play it. 

Log File Link

19 minutes ago, ChavoGuerrero said:

ChavoGuerrero Vs. @Order66 Beta

Chavo was 1st player, Solar Corona was played

Order66: 60 pts

Chavo: 0

Order66 won with a 7:4 and 60 MOV.

It was a very slow, cautious game, I waited for Order66 to close but he held at long range for the entire game. I lost both Slicer Tools flotillas, and although got decent damage onto the raider, I was not able to kill anything. Good game, and I appreciate 66 staying up to play it. 

Log File Link

I think he was just trying really hard to get 66 points and no more

@Beginner2Winner vs @deDios

B2W took 1st player and we (kind of) played Rift Assault. (We forgot the token part of the objective until right at the end.)

deDios: 198 destroyed +10 in tokens

B2W: 95 destoyed

deDios won 7:4 with 113pt MOV

B2W sent Jaina's Light with Raddus aboard to craftily hide near the rift and obstacles that were piled to one side to maximize the effect of the objective. That left his two flotillas and a cloud of rogues to push aggressively up the rest of the space. One flotilla positioned very well to put a MC75 into the side arc of deDios's Mon Karren flagship, but Tycho flew out of the rocks to mess up the perfect placement. This resulted in a massive standoff of double arc'ing ships in a tiny space. Since the Raddus drop MC75 could not go first, a Dodonna's Pride corvette happened to score a single crit through the shields on the speed 1 ship.... comms noise (reduce speed by 1). The drop ship delivered it's payload, vaporizing Dodonna's Pride, but left the opposing flagship in good shape because of Stormtrooper quality marksmanship from the other arc. The MonKarren Battleship hit hard and only needed to ram the speed 0 drop ship to finish it off. The rest was a flak storm and Shara-fest that was wildly accurate to thin the rogues, then the reckless chase between Raddus's Vette and the MonKarren. Raddus survived a massive turn 6 shot to avoid the table by a not finding a structural in 8 cards and not having a nav token to finish the ram.

Crazy cold dice for B2W and uncharacteristically great dice for me. We had a blast and I was very impressed at B2W's composure considering the lopsidedness of the dice this game. Great opponent.

Thanks @deDios for a really fun game! I decided to go forward with maximum  agressivity to disturb deDios from the very first beginning. The MC75 was not planed for survival but it was also not planed that she would be a sitting duck after only one shoot... The comms net crit, resulting in speed 0 for MC75 left her exposed.... I had expected that she could shoot two rounds into the MC80 before she would have been killed and that I could then do the final blast with my rogues.

DeDios countered this strategy with Dodonnas Pride - and the cr90 was really the pride of Dodonna. With the last re-roll out of the side (one blue after after using leading shot), there was the crit and with Dodonnas help, deDios selected the right one...  

A really fun game with much pew pew from round 2 onwards! Great opponent, I look forward to another game with you!

16 hours ago, Zamalekite said:

I think he was just trying really hard to get 66 points and no more

It is really hard on the truth. 😉  But the decision was good. 2 "Imortal" Interdictors with 9 Engeniering - is like fighting Double-Wolverine. You can only lose. 😟

😄

@Angry Ewok vs The Jabbawookie

Ewok was 1st player, Planetary Ion Cannon was played.

Ewok killed 48 pts, Jabba killed 153

MOV 105, Jabba wins 7-4

Knowing that (a) I couldn't fight his objectives, and (b) he was too maneuverable to reliably deal with anyway, I opted for second, received PIC and circled the wagons in the left corner at speed zero.  Ewok's center deployed CR90s flew in for the the flank and Ackbar circled in front, but the first three turns had no ship to ship fighting.  The squad war started R2 in the middle of the map; Dutch and Maarek worked as expensive sponges, I threw my squads a little too far forward, and my dice were disgustingly good.  Ewok's wing melted in a statistically improbable fashion, and the ISD covered the Quasar, both speeding up with the occasional nav where possible.  A CR90 went into harm's way, and PIC + squadrons destroyed it.  The game was basically sealed when Caitken and Shollan emerged from their flagship's cantina and turned 2 blanks and an acc into 3 blanks.

Ewok played his list well, and it was sad to see RNG swing this game hard.  He nonetheless was a good sport, a challenging opponent and a pleasure to play against.

Edited by The Jabbawookie

@LTDvs jp82729

jp82729 first player, played LTD's Sensor Net

jp82729 got 226, LTD got 120

MOV 106, jp82729 wins 7-4

LTD had set up with split forces and tokens on either end, and was able to rack up some early points. CR90s scattered like cockroaches when the lights are turned on, but some key squad shots managed to pick one off, and another couldn't turn hard enough to avoid flying off the board. Jerry and Take Evasive Action definitely helped the ISDs keep the pressure on the fleeing Rebels. Good game, with a good opponent to play against.

jp82729 vs Karneck
Karneck was 1st player
Objective played - Surprise Attack 

Karneck scored 145
jp82729 scored 400

jp82729 total MOV 255 , 9-2

Great game by JP, we pretty much squared up and blasted the crap out of each other to see who could take it.
I made two errors that lead to my SSD's demise (taking an extra 6 damage from a debris field adds up) and JP manged to dig in and ride the wave against my SSD front arc long enough to bring it down. It was extremely close as killed one ISD and only lacked 3 damage to kill the other which then finished me off.

Edited by Karneck

43 minutes ago, Karneck said:

jp82729 vs Karneck
Karneck was 1st player

Karneck scored 145
jp82729 scored 400

Great game by JP, we pretty much squared up and blasted the crap out of each other to see who could take it.
I made two errors that lead to my SSD's demise (taking an extra 6 damage from a debris field adds up) and JP manged to dig in and ride the wave against my SSD front arc long enough to bring it down. It was extremely close as killed one ISD and only lacked 3 damage to kill the other which then finished me off.

@jp82729  Doing my slot proud, I see. 

Do what must be done.  Do not hesitate, show no mercy.

8 hours ago, Karneck said:

jp82729 vs Karneck
Karneck was 1st player

Karneck scored 145
jp82729 scored 400

Honestly, my red dice were the true heroes. Now I'm fully prepared for them to tank and return balance to the force.

@Angry Ewok vs TigerKommandant

Angry Ewok chose 2nd and we played his Most Wanted. Objective ships were my ISD II and his GR75.

TigerKommandant's Score - 210

Angry Ewok's Score - 0

MOV 210 - 0, 7-3

Game started off slow as our fleets moved in position. My raider got caught between two CR90s but managed to slip out after taking a few scrapes here and there. Black dice on both sides were awful. His black die squadrons were blanking and my Raider External completely blanked out after OE. I was in a bad spot until round 4 just being out of range of his ships before I moved into range of his. By round 4 I had a target of a GR75 and blew it up. ISD now getting damaged on the shields. Warlord got hit but tanked it after engineering and Fleet commands. By round 5 I am able to last first. I moved my ISD into a double arc shot onto Ackbar's AF killing it before running off with 5 hull left on round 6. Warlord tanked the two CR90s close to killing one. Assault Frigates hurt when they roll hot. Started off slow but quickly became a damage race. Overall great game and goodluck to Angry Ewok on his remaining matches!